Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I made some modifications to your settings for my own game:

1) Randomize starters (basic with 2 evolutions) - Why not?
2) Randomize wild pokemon using "random" setting instead of "area:1:1" - Yes it screws with distribution, but gives more variety to encounters
3) Static pokemon left unchanged - This setting feels like it screws up the story since they are scripted events and the script doesn't always adapt to changes to statics
4) "Randomize held items" with "remove bad items" flags - I like the idea of having a drop/steal table in RPGs. I find held items tend to be under-used most of the time.

I'd post my config file but it's late and i don't have the time to mess with google drive right now. Just thought I'd share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Dragonwagon posted:

Something just occured to me: does the randomizer affect the pokemon used in the movie shoots? Cause that might end your game right there, since you need to finish one movie at least iirc.

Jolyne's settings randomize static encounters as well as wild ones. This might be a problem, but we'll see.

If it is, you could try re-rolling the game and see if the save file is still compatible. The header appears to be unchanged so I don't see why it wouldn't.

edit: Also "fastest text" causes some glitches. I would recommend removing it.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 15, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Also, yeah, I've noticed Fastest Text screwing things up when text autoscrolls. Is there any way that I can just, like, modify the seed to get rid of that or will I have to reroll a seed with the same settings and go back to see what's different on Route 19 and Floccesy and make the next vote have like 35 pokemon instead of 25

If you have the seed and config, try re-rolling the base game with both but without the "fast text" option. That should give you the same results but without the fast text.

I unfortunately did not save my seed value so unless I want to start over, I am out of luck.

Also, if you can transfer the save, you could roll a new game and pretend nothing changed by not going back to route 19, 20, or the ranch (assuming that you haven't gone past there yet).

mastersord fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 15, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If you are using something that supports save states in order to save time keep in mind that the RNG stops when you enter a battle/encounter. That means you cannot save and reload when trying to catch something. You would instead have to try on different turns or re-encounter your target.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Learned something new today. If you use something that supports both save states and in-game saving, you might one day end up with a corrupt save file which the game will "helpfully" delete for you. If you try to restore it by saving from your last save state, it will not work, but fear not because there is a fix.

Simply start a new game and make an in-game save. Then re-load your last good save state and run an in-game save. Initialize a soft-reset (Select + Start + L + R) to make sure it takes and is now stable.

To prevent this, always save state after an in-game save and never in-game save from a previous save state. If you can, make backups of save state and battery save files when possible.

Edit to add: Black 2 in-game save files can be copied over to White 2 by just renaming them. I did not randomize stats, types, or exp/leveling curves. Moves and abilities carry over, so if you randomized them in your original game, they will stay that way in the new game. Not sure what happens to unlearned or forgotten moves.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 24, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
The habitat list works on my game. It kinda surprised me cause I remember there being problems finding all the addresses when people were hacking these games a few years ago.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Dareon posted:

And unfortunately, the Habitat List only shows what you'd find in the base game, which makes the few places where you get rewarded for completing that area's list absolute pains in the Diglett. It does at least give you a sometimes-handy counter of how many 'mons you can find in a given area. Dark grass screws up the count, though.

Ok, I figured it out. The Habitat Dex does not work but the Pokédex habitat entry for any 'mons seen or caught does work. In other words, I can go to any dex entry and see where that 'mon lives in my game but I can't go to the habitat Dex and see what can be found in a particular area.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 25, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Turns out that even with area 1:1 mapping, dark grass tables and normal grass tables get randomized separately!

Is Dark Grass using the same table as double grass per-chance? I can't seem to find any other tables it could be referencing. Also very little info on GameFAQs about it which i find strange.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I haven't mentioned fishing at all (because it doesn't exist until the postgame and oh god I just realized the amount of work fishing and especially ripple fishing is going to add to the pokemon catching (if I haven't completed the Pokédex by that point, which I probably won't have)

I love these games and I love shaking grass as a mechanic (especially since they used it as a way to alleviate grinding with Audino) but ripple fishing might be a step too far

You could always spin up a new game and transfer your file over if you REALLY care about completing the dex. The real games required trading anyway and there were STILL 'mons requiring prior gen games to get anyway.

You could use the log as well to show what you have access to and put that up to a vote as well (though it does spoil the surprise).

Edit: If you set it to "complete random" instead of "Area/Global 1:1", It goes through the full species roster at least 6 times but every group has 5-12 different 'mons to catch.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 28, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

i didn't save the log so nope can't do that actually (okay I could probably get the log from the seed, which I did save) but I have it in catch 'em all mode so I should be able to complete the pokedex one way or another, eventually.

I tried recording an update on true random and spent two hours walking back and forth on route 19, decided I had probably found them all, went back to the pokemon center and then on my way to flocessy I ran into a poke that I hadn't seen before. That is when I decided that true random was not feasible for me to LP (or even really play because GOTTA GET ALL THE POKEMANS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE)

You're becoming me. Don't be me! I've spent over 24 hours (not including reloads and not in one straight shot) trying to finish each group and I still only managed half of them by badge 4. Shaking grass required saving and reloading while counting to 10 to make sure something new popped up and today, that method stopped working for me for some reason so now it involves walking into and out of normal grass in different directions, or just regenerating the shaking grass and calling it a day.

Fishing isn't even available until post-game in this generation (Why in Arceus' name would you do that?) and surf is still not available. Still, by the time I've exhausted all land groups, I'll probably be finished with the dex. Using your settings you have at most 2 chances of meeting each species. You will have to go through almost EVERY surfing, fishing, rare surfing, and rare fishing group available though you only have to worry about 2-5 possible encounters per group per area.

It's OK if you don't finish every encounter. You can probably use a game shark to modify encounters if you really need to show them off.

In summary, if you're trying to show off all 649 species, you're gonna have a bad time.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I can also get one on Victory Road or from Join Avenue!!!

Yeah I'm gonna be coming back whenever I get a stealing move on someone. Also hoping I run into Luvdisc at some point because man I'm gonna need heart scales.

Or I could just use AR codes but where's the fun in that?

Or you could skip evolving and just catch one. I will have to rely on NPC shops since I randomized hold items, but eventually I will have access to master balls because of that too.

Also I hope you knew that Virbank has 2 different encounter groups: When you leave the city and enter the complex is table 1 and the screen transition south is table 2. Both have separate shaking grass tables. Luckily it only has one double grass table because only the south complex has double grass. It gets EVEN BETTER on later dungeons. Happy hunting!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
When you get Surf, the surf tables encounter rates appear to be skewed in that in 60 encounters, I have only run into 'mons from the first 3-4 slots out of 7-12 per area. I have tried 3 different areas. Can anyone else confirm?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I was thinking about randomizing types on my game but I haven't played since Gen 3. I might try it next time I get the urge.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

I've played with this randomizer a couple years ago and when I did I chose to keep most things the same just so I wouldn't be incredibly confused by the pokemon and their stats/abilities/movesets/typing, etc. Unfortunately, because the randomizer changes the rom's internal checksum such that it's no longer recognized as a valid Pokemon Black rom, this lady is stuck in an emulated, romhacked version of the game forever:

I think that was the 3rd legitimate shiny I ever found. First was a Magnemite in Pearl, second was a Scraggy in White.

Enjoying this LP so far. I might also take the dive others have been doing and try playing a little bit of randomizer in my spare time. Quick question, I can't remember if you have it yet or not but does that Habitat Analyzer that shows you the pokemon you've caught on a route function correctly with the randomizer?

Have you tried copying the save file to a legit ROM? I know I can copy a randomized ROM's save to another randomized ROM and moves and abilities were preserved. This was with Black 2 randomized to White 2 randomized.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Someone tried some transfer method for me a couple years ago and it didn't work out. If I ever want it in a legit game badly enough I think I could make an exception and use one of those cheat engines to build the pokemon and import it.

Are also trying to transfer it to a real cartridge? Sadly, you may be out of luck because the game has some protections to prevent "illegal" 'mons. Impossible abilities and move-sets may count but that's assuming you had a flash-cart that can do the transfer.

edit: this is as far as I am willing to discuss this btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If anyone else is running a "Catch em all" mode game, I would recommend the following to preserve your sanity:

1) Use "random" setting for encounters. Each species gets into 5-6 encounter tables throughout the game so if something is extremely rare on the first route, you will be able to find it later on . I did not enable seasonal encounters because each season takes 30 real days to pass.
2) Run about 20 encounters per area per encounter type (Grass, double grass, surfing, fishing). Exceptions are shaking spots and surfing/fishing spots as they take longer to spawn so I would recommend 10 or less with those to save time.
3) If using an emulator, save-state during an encounter to save time. Note that your catch success chance is predetermined for each turn but can be affected by changing the 'mon's health and/or inflicting a status ailment (like sleep).
4) If you want to save time on shaking spot encounters, save-state before entering one but keep in mind that the RNG shifts from Time-based to movement/turn based to position-based randomly.
5) Generate a log. You will want this to make sure you can find and catch everything. You will most likely need to go back to find ones you've missed.
6) "All encounter rates are not created equal". Each area table has common and rare encounters. Surfing encounters tend to be even more skewed than others with 80% of your encounters being the first 2 mons on the list and the rest being unevenly split in the other 20%.
7) In a dungeon, each screen transition means a new set of encounter tables. Not counting seasonal, there are 453 encounter tables in the game

It took me 150 hours and 20 minutes to get 649/649 seen and caught, not including save-scumming some of the more difficult encounters.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 14, 2016

• Locked thread