Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I'm happy with this level of randomization for the main LP, though. It still keeps things unpredictable without getting to the level of "my Nidoran just evolved into a Diglett with the stats of a shuckle and water/fire typing."

:stare:
Is uh... Is that a setting you can actually have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Going to be Buzz Killington and ask if the randomiser would be considered :filez:?
(If so maybe edit it out OP, your LP has too much potential for you to be probied/banned)

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Someone Awful! posted:

The randomizer itself doesn't include any ROMs, so I don't think it would be?

Oh, that's a relief.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Wait hold on if I'm not wrong, it gets better. Isn't Glaciate unique to Kyurem? Not that it's otherwise as notable as the two specialties of this generation's Mew/Celebi/etc.

It is, yeah :laffo:
Hope you caught that obscenely godlike monkey!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Oh. Sorry, LL.

That's not cool, J.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

FishOnAPiano posted:

Hey, it had Static, which is Mareep's ability; maybe it's just a really overgrown, freshly shorn sheep?

I'm never eating mutton again.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to gently caress it up, although the first one is so easy I never tried.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Could you post your randomiser settings for each file in the thread? It'd be interesting to see what it turns out in other files.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Uxie on Route 20 broke me. I had to use a "catch all Pokemon" code. I'm ashamed.
On the bright side, I rolled Happiny on Route 19, Uxie, Rufflet and Absol on 20 and Flygon, Bronzong and Machoke in Floccesy Ranch so I'm doing great for leveling and variety. I started with Geodude, Hugh got NidoranM and on Route 19 was... NidoranF. Guess what I called her?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I got Cheren with Landorus and Staraptor, the latter of which had Sky Attack and Brave Bird. He took out three of my team alone :shepface:
Then after beating the gym, the very next trainer I had to fight had a loving Haxorus! Who also took out three of my team :shepicide:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Like I said, in another file where I was experimenting to see what settings were causing such a boring gym, Cheren had both Palkia and Giratina, both of which had some pretty devastating moves. The randomizer can be unfairly difficult sometimes, which is why I now have 4 randomized files that I can stick Jolyne into until I get a gym that is exciting but not insurmountable without resorting to grinding.

It's absurdly fun to suddenly be faced with a legendary at like level 10 though. I ran into a Reshiram in Virbank and just started laughing at how silly it was. Then I got Deoxys inside the Complex. This has really breathed a bit of life back into the older games for me. Once I got the ability to transfer Pokemon up to Pokemon Bank I just left all my cartridges to rot.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 3:

Aspertia Gym

Grible - Everyone had one and I'm jelly as gently caress as my Bagon is no where near as cool. At least Salamance is cooler then Garchomp.
Deino - One trainer had one and I'm still jelly because it's even cooler then Bagon or Grible.
Bagon - Cheren had one and it was identicle to mine minus a level.

If you can't tell my Gym was Dragon themed. Fairly easy as my super amazing Mistress of Time and Space was able to one hit her way through all of the trash thanks to super effective use of Spacial Rend and Roar of Time; sadly she ended up falling to Cheren's Bagon who was faster and did the same back to her. I then wore down his Bagon and Grible through the use of my Venepide poisoning them and spamming Heal Order to heal to full every turn. During the battle with Grible he used a move that forced me to switch out to Vulkhaaaan who then Inferno'd its face off for being such a butt. All in all fairly easy gym battle. My TM was Poison Gas; not very useful to me as I already have Toxic which I think is just better.

I walked outside the gym, unlike Jolyne so minor spoiler ahead.
And because I walked outside to go heal my poor dead dragon I also got given Frustration by Biancia which is the crap version of Return and therefore unusable. According to Bulbapedia Return and Frustration are Normal-type Physical moves that deal damage based on how much Friendship value you have with the user; the higher the value the better Return gets but the worse Frustration gets. Because just doing stuff with your Pokemon, like walking around and grinding levels, causes them to increase your Friendship value Return will always end up out scaling Frustration.

To make it clear to everyone who hasn't played this game normally, Bianca doesn't give you Frustration if your Pokemon are fainted in the Gym battle. She'll give you Return no matter what. It's supposed to be a subtle thing about how Team Plasma mistreat their Pokemon (which is why the grunt you meet in Floccesy is supposed to give you Frustration) while those that work with Pokemon like the Professors and Leaders treat their Pokemon well. At least, I think it's supposed to imply that? (spoilers just elaborate on Gridlocked's one)

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

It's funny because obviously my seed of the Randomizer swapped Return for Frustration so they got reversed.

It's like poetry :allears:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I've been running Platinum and HeartGold runs because I actually kind of dislike Gen 5's playstyle (despite quite liking the Pokemon and story) for some reason, and I didn't realise for the longest time that fishing spots on different routes will yield different Pokemon. What a clown I am, because I'm pretty sure you mentioned it too.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I haven't mentioned fishing at all (because it doesn't exist until the postgame and oh god I just realized the amount of work fishing and especially ripple fishing is going to add to the pokemon catching (if I haven't completed the Pokédex by that point, which I probably won't have)

I love these games and I love shaking grass as a mechanic (especially since they used it as a way to alleviate grinding with Audino) but ripple fishing might be a step too far

It's bad enough normally, let alone having to do it for every single body of water.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

You'll probably want to hunt down some more Seadra before you head on past Virbank. They (along with Horsea, Kingdra, Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite) are the only carriers of Dragon Scales, which you need to evolve Seadra in Kingdra! It's a 5% chance to find one though, so I hope you have a good Pokemon with an item stealing move.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Steak Eater posted:

I started another run and only just realized why I keep burning out on every randomized run I attempt; because I randomize almost everything, it's impossible to keep up with who does what, and it gets more confusing than fun at a point. I need to maybe dial it back on a few settings, like shuffling the stats.

I just shuffle Pokemon locations, movesets and abilities and it keeps things fresh enough without me becoming too confused.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

Enjoying this LP so far. I might also take the dive others have been doing and try playing a little bit of randomizer in my spare time. Quick question, I can't remember if you have it yet or not but does that Habitat Analyzer that shows you the pokemon you've caught on a route function correctly with the randomizer?

Nope, but the Pokedex should tell you where a randomised Pokemon can be found in your game.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure Pokemon Bank blocks any and all Pokemon it finds to have been acquired in a less than proper manner. My friend traded me a Mew he'd caught using a cheat device in one of the Gen 4 games, but it was blockaded when I tried to transfer it into the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I started a randomized Black 1 run, and my starter choices were Oshawott, Gastly, and Caterpie.

At least Gastly's a cool Pokemon? :v:

Gengar is pro.

• Locked thread