Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Randomizers are neat. I'm totally doing a randomizer run of Ruby/Sapphire now, thanks OP!

Edit: Correction I will do a Black/Black 2 play through in concert with updates and post interesting random encounters I get :toot: What random settings did you use OP?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I was thinking of posting the actual seed that the LP uses, but I don't want anybody accidentally spoiling anything! Instead, here's the settings that I used, so you can create your own seed that uses the same rules but may come out totally different! (the starters will be the same if you don't mess with it because I had to rerecord once I realized that oh god having the wild encounters be totally randomized means that I would have to spend 2-3 hours hunting out all 20 pokemon that can be in every type of encounter-tile on every route)

Errrm I must be stupid. It won't load the seed file. It wants .rndp files and the pre-made seeds/yours are .nrqs. What is wrong with me?

Edit: Derp settings file not seed file. I R Dumb

So if I want different starters but everything else the same do I make starters Random (completely) or Random (basic Pokemon with 2 evolutions)

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 13, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Concurrent Play Through Update 1:

I have used the same random settings as Jolyne Cujoh did for this run. It's also a blind play through as I have never played Black/White nor their updated versions. I have played about half of Pokemon Y which I purchased on a 3DS when I was on a relationship tilt and wanted to relive some childhood memories. It was pretty good but without Turbo Mode it dragged on. Also the 3DS XL screen I got was a bit loose and a was therefore hard to position in a comfortable way to play in bed like a loser :3: Apart from that I haven't played a game since FireRed, so there are tonnes of new things for me to see.

Starters:

I picked the Venipede cause Weedle is neat but old and I didn't wanna use a Pokemon I KNOW is a starter in another version. I named her Venessa. I came to regret this choice as she came with a boat load of Poison moves but jack poo poo else. And everything I encountered from then on was loving resistant to Poison. Hugh got the Weedle.

Route 19 encounters:
Lopunny
Drapion

Nothing of intrest happened here. I only saw Lopunny once and regretted not catching it as soon as I encounted Drapion and realized my typing setup sucks.

Route 20 encounters:
Venipede - Trainer battle
Smoochum - Trainer battle "Look at my cute Pokemon!" THE RANDOMIZER KNOWS
Latios - HOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST DRACO METOR hosed ME UP - Caught one though and it's OP as gently caress.
Cherubi - Trainer battle
Regigigas - JESUS CHRIST ITS THE ROUTE OF LEGENDS - Caught one as well. It's mediocre.
Kabutops - Wish I caught one :(
Munna - This is a Legendary too right? Caught one, it's poo poo house and will be going on the bench.
Lairon - Also should have caught one :(

This was my first battle with Youngerster Dudeguy. Mirror match hooo!

This was the first loving time I have blacked out since playing one of the Crystal/Gold/Silver games on the GBC as a kid. This rear end in a top hat one hit Venessa
:shepicide:

I just wanted to show off that Regigigigigigas has Stench. I should have named him Goonguy :( Also of note is having Glare and SmelingSalt together. COMBO!

Ranch encounters:
Espeon - Knows Whirlwind lol, no fighting this thing.
Volcarona - Caught and it's loving RAD A poo poo. Thinking of making it my new "main" cause of how awesome it looks. It's a loving firey-moth-light bug thing man cmon. Venepide is pretty rad too though but man this guy.

So guys should I ditch Gigaguy and Latios? They seem crazy overpowered ATM. Latios is demolishing everything in his path between Psybeam, Thunderpunch and Twister. He also learnt Water Spout, which I replaced Dragon Metor with because I'm stupid and forgot about STAB and really wanted a Water move on the team. Giga is just a tanky rear end in a top hat but Glare is awesome for capturing new hard to get 'Mons.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This is fun as poo poo.

Man a Stanky Regigias is pretty awesome and I do feel like I should rename him to Goon or something and use his amazing Green Armpit hair to smash his way through the game. But that seems OP as poo poo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh that would explain why grinding him was so slow.

Also it's really nice having Regigas as random wild 'Mons they are EXP Pinata's especially compared to loving Muna's that are worth NOTHING.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm totally starting a Black 1 run now just cause I wanna play around with the randomizer but I don't wanna play ahead in Black 2.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I voted for:

Nat - Because the mighting RNGesus obviously wants us to have 2 Nidoran's in our party to chew up space.

Kennedy - Because after Metal ghosts are my favorite typing and we need to make something of this boy.

All Tied Up - Forever tied up in the party and loving it.

Honey - loving SLOWPOKE SON

Star Me - Having a Normal type can be useful in a world of elemental weaknesses. gently caress it shoot lightning bolts.

Edit: uuuugh wow the improvements to the interface and stuff from B/W 2 over B/W are huuuuuuuge.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 13, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 2:

Ranch Continued

Espeon
Volcarona - Caught
Spinarak - Ignored cause already have enough bugs
Thundurus - ANOTHER LEGENDARY?! Jeeze. Caught one after 5 more balls.
Bagon - Awww yeah 3rd favorite type is Dragons and this is an early Dragon! Took me 5 darn Pokeballs though.
Prinplup - Looks like I get a 2nd chance at the Starter from D/P!

I have ditched all my early Legendaries. Even RegiStank because they are just too drat OP. And I'm level grinding on fast forward enough that it isn't really relevant.

This is the Thundurus I found. So I'm in what the 3rd area of the game and I have 3 Legendaries now? :shepface:

Then I got this girl. HOLY BALLS. LOOK AT THOSE MOVES. LOOK AT THAT ABILITY. :shittypop: THE GOD OF TIME AND SPACE IN TINY DRAGON FORM. Too bad her Special Attack sucks because she is Adamant too which means with Physical Dragon moves she'd be a powerhouse. Roar was Twister but I decided there's no real point in having both Twister and Dragon Breath because one is more-or-less the better version of the other. Also the same arguement could be applied for Rend and Roar but screw that noise look how freaking awesome it is. Now if only it was on a Special Attack Dragon :sbahj:

Edit: Oh and my TM was Wide Guard which according to Bulbapedia is entirely useless to me.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 13, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Didn't manage to catch it sadly. And I don't plan on it as I'm at 4 mons already and I plan on rotating the group till the end when I may hyjack the thread to vote on what I should take to the E4 and post game.

Look at that Dragon though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

This is my new favorite in my White 2 play through that I am doing because I feel the urge to try out randomness but don't wanna play ahead of the LP in Black 2. Thought I'd share how cool it is.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Escavalier with Defend Order? Oooh boy.

Is this good? I was more excited by having Motor Drive.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just encountered a Heatnor with Dry Skin.

:drat: So spicey that he instantly turns water to steam.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

If the randomizer does mess with movies, it's really not that hard for me to get another save file or play up to the point where I can start with movies, or, yeah, to import this save to the base game at the points where movies unlock.

Can confirm that Randomizer doesn't mess with movies.

I just did 5 of them in a row with the pre-set Pokemon and they all appeared to have the correct moves/abilities to solve the "puzzles"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

So, I did the first Gym on my flight like I said, but I realized that Area 1:1 mapping makes gyms (or the early ones at least), well, just as predictable and boring as they are in the base game. To this end, I'm gonna make another randomized Rom with totally random trainer pokemon to use for gym battles and other places with tons of trainers and no wild pokemon and rerecord. I'll just transfer over the saves so our team should be the same between them (though learned moves and some small stuff will change between the gym file and the normal file because of the different randomization.) This shouldn't delay the update or anything, just keeping y'all up to date on my plans

What's wrong with 1:1 mapping on Gyms?

It just changes up the type theme of said Gym really while retaining everything else including scripted behavior of Gym leaders for use of items.

For example the 2nd gym for me, the rock'n'roll gym was supposed to be Poison themed in the base game but ended up being Metal for my White 2 run; which was amazing because Rock + Metal :D

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Mostly that they have the same 2 or 3 pokemon over and over again because of the way that the pokemon are in the gym notmally, which makes them really boring and samey compared to everywhere else in the randomizer where there's a half a dozen new wild pokemon and a bunch of trainers with cool pokemon and then the gyms, which are supposed to be a big thing, end up being 3 croagunks, 3 meditites with truant and a makuhita, which is sort of hard to try to make interesting.

Oh I didn't find that at all. But I have only done gyms so far that have 1-2 Pokemon per trainer and 3 per Gym leader.

Can you do varied line ups on Gyms but still have the type theaming?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Yeah, it just picks from all the pokemon of that type instead of replacing every patrat with a Pikachu or whatever

Oh sick, how do I turn that on?

Edit: Man the best part about this randomiser is it doesn't matter if you wanna restart the game cause it's a fun new experience each time anyway :D

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 16, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am currently annoyed at how difficult it is to get a HM Bitch without ruining my awesome party dynamic.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 3:

Aspertia Gym

Grible - Everyone had one and I'm jelly as gently caress as my Bagon is no where near as cool. At least Salamance is cooler then Garchomp.
Deino - One trainer had one and I'm still jelly because it's even cooler then Bagon or Grible.
Bagon - Cheren had one and it was identicle to mine minus a level.

If you can't tell my Gym was Dragon themed. Fairly easy as my super amazing Mistress of Time and Space was able to one hit her way through all of the trash thanks to super effective use of Spacial Rend and Roar of Time; sadly she ended up falling to Cheren's Bagon who was faster and did the same back to her. I then wore down his Bagon and Grible through the use of my Venepide poisoning them and spamming Heal Order to heal to full every turn. During the battle with Grible he used a move that forced me to switch out to Vulkhaaaan who then Inferno'd its face off for being such a butt. All in all fairly easy gym battle. My TM was Poison Gas; not very useful to me as I already have Toxic which I think is just better.

I walked outside the gym, unlike Jolyne so minor spoiler ahead.
And because I walked outside to go heal my poor dead dragon I also got given Frustration by Biancia which is the crap version of Return and therefore unusable. According to Bulbapedia Return and Frustration are Normal-type Physical moves that deal damage based on how much Friendship value you have with the user; the higher the value the better Return gets but the worse Frustration gets. Because just doing stuff with your Pokemon, like walking around and grinding levels, causes them to increase your Friendship value Return will always end up out scaling Frustration.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Roro posted:

To make it clear to everyone who hasn't played this game normally, Bianca doesn't give you Frustration if your Pokemon are fainted in the Gym battle. She'll give you Return no matter what. It's supposed to be a subtle thing about how Team Plasma mistreat their Pokemon (which is why the grunt you meet in Floccesy is supposed to give you Frustration) while those that work with Pokemon like the Professors and Leaders treat their Pokemon well. At least, I think it's supposed to imply that? (spoilers just elaborate on Gridlocked's one)

It's funny because obviously my seed of the Randomizer swapped Return for Frustration so they got reversed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Mega-Altaria is my second favorite mega evolution and is pretty dang great.

Also I just realized that I forgot to post this here, the most relevant place for it, but I recently commissioned this and am using it as an avatar basically everywhere but here on SA and I love it so much.

:10bux:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I have considered it but I can't think of a good title to go with it!

The best I've come up with is "I keep on forgetting these Pokémons" but even then it just doesn't pack quite the same punch.

It kind of smells like Pokemons (for reasons unknown)

Jolyne used Soap! It's Super Effective!

Soap reference because I don't get the joke

My loving lips and eyes are yellow please send for a doctor I have Jaundice

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gridlocked Concurrent Play Through Update 4:

Route 19 Part 2

Blitzle - Trainer battle
Electrode - Dark Grass
Hydreigon - Dark Grass, got blacked out and lost my only Great Ball trying to capture one; regretted it immeditaly after cause I realised it had lovely attacks and wasn't the time-space monster my Bagon is.
Cinderquil - Dark Grass, starter from Gen 2
Tentacool - Dark Grass, captured one. Turns out it has Shadow Tag, the ablity of one my my all time favorites Wobbuffet.
Swinub - Trainer Battle
Volbeat - Trainer battle
Palkia - Shaking Grass, ANOTHER god damned legendary on Route 19. No wonder the most badass trainers come from whatever my home town is; we have to fight our way through an army of GODS to go shopping.
Munchlax - Dark Grass, the baby form of my most favorite Pokemon ever! (despite the fact Snorlax isn't Ghost or Metal, my favorite types) Captured a female one.
Typhlosion - Dark Grass, well I guess all those baby Cinderquil's had to coome from somewhere.

Well I found Shadow Tag. Too bad it's not on a 'mon who (in theory) can abuse it.

Ms. Lax came with Leftovers (awesome) and I have in fact abused the fact that wild Munchlax generally have Leftovers in my White 2 play though by using Thief on them to end up with like 10 Leftovers by the 4th town. Has JUDGEMENT which is pretty badass and continues my trend of having basic mon's with legendary exclusive moves even though I'd never dream of parting her from her Leftovers.

The Legendary Route 19 continues with the Shaking Grass 'mon being this rear end in a top hat.

And finally my Twins had appropriately small and cute blue things :shobon:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dareon posted:

My first randomized game was Platinum and I quickly came to realize every honey tree had randomized lists. Think of the trouble Jolyne's already mentioned with rustling grass, now apply it to a mechanic where you need to apply a consumable item and come back later. :suicide:

Meanwhile in my own playthrough, I shuffled my team a little bit. I've still got Barbatos the Metagross, Mayhem the Houndoom, and Valoria the Shelgon, but I added the following:
-Prescott the Tirtouga from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of naming water-types after nautical people. My Oshawott is named Horatio and I played with a Wingull named Nimitz for a little bit),
-Toccata the Murkrow, also from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of using musical terms if I can't think of a more fitting name),
-and Kaminagi the Tynamo from Chargestone Cave. (It is a Japanese pun/portmanteau, and not the one they actually use for the species: Kaminari is thunder, unagi is eel. :v:)

All three of whom have evolved now, although I'm debating evolving Kaminagi the rest of the way now or later. I will, I just don't know if I want some poison moves on him or not.

I also played around a little with a Ninjask (Named Speedwagon, in homage to this LP/Jojo's) and a Vanillish (Named Drippy), but wasn't happy with their lack of bulk.

I've got five PC boxes nearly full with no repeats (Except the Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff line, because they're adorbs and I caught them backwards, and a spare Snorunt for Glalie/Froslass), nearly enough Grass-type starters to form a full team (And I could add Pansage or Deerling to round it out), and enough fossil pokemon for a full team on their own (If you count Relicanth).

And it occurs to me I've barely caught a quarter of them.

That Iron Blooded Metagross though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Don't knock the netball Joylne. You never know when water or bugs will popup with the randomiser and drat if the catch rate isn't already stupidly loving low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I was trying not to knock it too hard, but my first instinct when looking at the 1000 pokedollar special balls is to say "Okay, how does this stand up to the dusk ball?" which sort of colors my opinions on, well, basically every other ball that isn't the quick ball sometimes. I'll probably buy a couple net balls once I'm not literally out of money to have around just in case.

Quick ball and Timer ball are both the super powered ones IMO

• Locked thread