Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

does anyone use tomato and bother to keep it up to date?? i'm a couple versions behind and having no problems and im too lazy to disable and backup jffs just to flash it. will hackers be able to access my 1tb cache of fart vids :ohdear:

e: shibbys mod not that main branch of tomato or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

does anyone use tomato and bother to keep it up to date?? i'm a couple versions behind and having no problems and im too lazy to disable and backup jffs just to flash it. will hackers be able to access my 1tb cache of fart vids :ohdear:

I mean, it's not broke, don't gently caress with it. I'm on v128 on my main router and for whatever reason v130 on my access point and haven't had any issues that would prompt me to upgrade. There's apparently a MultiWAN feature on the newest version, but I don't feel like losing internet for however long it takes to flash.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
in my apartment complex they actually had some people from the ISP come around to everyone and tell them what channels to use and probably turn the power down to a minimum because 2.4 GHz was getting pretty crowded

i keep my 2.4 GHz on at minimum power since the kindle can't do 5 GHz, but separate SSIDs since a lot of devices are too stupid to work out that just because the 2.4 GHz AP is stronger doesn't mean it'll go faster

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

longview posted:

in my apartment complex they actually had some people from the ISP come around to everyone and tell them what channels to use and probably turn the power down to a minimum because 2.4 GHz was getting pretty crowded

i keep my 2.4 GHz on at minimum power since the kindle can't do 5 GHz, but separate SSIDs since a lot of devices are too stupid to work out that just because the 2.4 GHz AP is stronger doesn't mean it'll go faster

my friend's apartment has so many wifi access points i can't even get 5 Ghz to be useable there

his router is in the living room and it can't reach the far back bedroom

all these 802.11ac gateways now are ruining the 5 ghz band

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lol just buy 20ft of CAT5 for like $2 and still be able to plug in anywhere you want in your lovely apartment with no problem

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

HoboMan posted:

lol just buy 20ft of CAT5 for like $2 and still be able to plug in anywhere you want in your lovely apartment with no problem

i find cables running everywhere to be unsightly!!!! *multiple instances of BAZINGA in home*

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lol nobody wants to see your apartment

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

i did this but then i threw it in the trash and got a couple airport extremes and now i don't care.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

when i am at my gfs house i steal the 5ghz wifi signal from the bros upstairs so i guess i am pro 5ghz

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my router from time to time automatically scans and picks the best channel for both 2 and 5 ghz and also the width so that i don't have to janitor it, it can stay on for months without needing any servicing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Celexi posted:

my router from time to time automatically scans and picks the best channel for both 2 and 5 ghz and also the width so that i don't have to janitor it, it can stay on for months without needing any servicing.

congrats on living in the middle of loving nowhere

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Celexi posted:

what kind of router? most that i have seen pick a channel on boot and forget about it. often they pick a channel that's already occupied with gobs of open spectrum too :argh:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

my friend's apartment has so many wifi access points i can't even get 5 Ghz to be useable there

his router is in the living room and it can't reach the far back bedroom

all these 802.11ac gateways now are ruining the 5 ghz band

time to get in a concrete building

also when is 60GHz coming, LOS-ish range will cover most of what I need to be fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panty Saluter posted:

what kind of router? most that i have seen pick a channel on boot and forget about it. often they pick a channel that's already occupied with gobs of open spectrum too :argh:

sounds like an enterprise AP of some sort

• Locked thread