Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
5ghz is much better in developed areas with neighbors and public utilities and stuff, so you're probably fine using either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no, you're exactly right

if congestion is a non issue, 5.8 is better for interior areas or long point to point links. its attenuated less by concrete and walls but will generally have shorter point to point distance in open areas. the flip side of this is an antenna of a given size will have much higher gain at 5ghz than 2.4, and the beam will be narrower and the link ends up being better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it wont save the pass across ssid's (but different APs with the exact same ssid and pass will work). if you want them to be good across the property and you're running dual band, have them connect to each once, and then they're good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah thats called your "house" echi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MrMoo posted:

Which is why we will have 802.11ad at 60Ghz for short distance wireless TV and 802.11ah at 900Mhz for long distance IoT.

No, we have 802.11ad at 60ghz because unbound oxygen in the air readilly attenuates it, allowing you to pack more devices in per square whatever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qhat posted:

some ISPs force their routers to broadcast a second network that can be used by all customers of the ISP, which is completely idiotic in areas that have like 20 customers all in the same estate or whatever

i called comcast and made them turn off the xfinity free wifi ssid on mine. so theyre at least still doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive long been in bridge mode and have a mikrotik rb333 behind it with a 5ghz card. then up on the roof i have a ubnt nanostation for 2.4. gently caress the big modem box trash garbage

• Locked thread