Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
some of the camping coffee bags in this style are pretty alright. kinda expensive compared to grinding beans at home but i usually have some in the cupboard because taking my aeropress camping is more hassle than i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bhodi posted:

didn't see anyone mention it yet but coffee crazy youtube personality james hoffmann did a series on the aeropress recently, the tl;drs that I remember from his testing are

• pre-rinsing your filter doesn't change the flavor
  • pre-heating the aeropress doesn't change the flavor because it's well insulated there's less than a degree of temp drop
  • pushing through the hiss versus until the hiss doesn't change the flavor
  • inverted versus standard doesn't change the flavor but he personally finds inverted scary because presumably the plunger fell out once and near-boiling water and coffee grounds went everywhere and now he's traumatized
  • pushing water through too fast causes channels to form and all the water will run through those channels and the coffee will taste underextracted, thin or sour so take your time, ~20s+
  • there's a temperature hump where if brewed coffee will taste bitter. it's higher for dark roast and lower for light and it's between 80-90C so best brews are either higher or lower than that, he prefers going higher like 95ish but that's why both the aeropress directions and world championships prefer lower
  • steeping for ~2m pays huge flavor dividends but has big diminishing returns after that to the point that 3m+ steeps all taste the same (not bad, just wastes time)
  • swirl once after steeping and wait 30s to get the coffee to settle to the bottom
  • finding the right grind is important, aeropress prefers on the finer end and it varies widely per bean (obviously) so after adjusting for water temp start adjusting the grind, bitter = make larger, sour/thin = make smaller
afternoon aeropress using these hot tips and a larger quantity than usual of inferior beans. it's pretty good

think i'm going to clean the chemex with my brewing cleaner later too

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
not been drinking much coffee lately, dug out the aeropress and the good beans today to get back in the saddle

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
got up super late today, but not too late for coffee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
drank like eight cups of coffee today, still tired

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it was training workshop coffee, i.e. very bad

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HamAdams posted:

ran out of coffee, pray for me in these desperate times

:rip:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have poured a cup of coffe.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
anyone else drinking a coffee rn?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
:):coffee::coffeepal:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
saturday evening coffees

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

graph posted:

it's time to drink coffee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's a change of pace for me today with a rare moka pot coffee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
woah this cup is strong

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was late for the bus and had to abandon my coffee half finished :(

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just had a cup of coffee.

same, with some banana bread i made

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
made some welsh cakes today, a great accompaniment to a saturday afternoon coffee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's coffee time

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
drinking the risky late afternoon coffee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my coffee nerd colleague recommended me a local roasters and I went to their café and had a drat fine coffee

currently considering a coffee bean subscription from them or another local place

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
now it's time for coffee though

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
had to go in to the bad office today, got myself a bad office coffee. they have a new machine but tastes like the same old beans

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cat Face Joe posted:

went to this yemeni coffee place. it's got cardamom in it. still forming an opinion

cardamom can occasionally be a nice addition to a coffee imo, but not every day or even every week

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lazy Sunday coffee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
for every coffee you don't drink, i'll drink three

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I had coffee today, and I also had coffee yesterday

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
having my second coffee of the year, hope you're all well caffeinated today

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

psiox posted:

oh dope, what ratios do you use? i need to use my chemex more (i think i get intimidated by the prospect of cleaning it)

i usually just rinse with some hot water after use and every now and then soak it in a cleaner like pbw to get it nice and shiny. i can live with a little coffee residue building up between soaks, because it is pretty annoying to properly clean otherwise

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my partner knitted a chemex chosy, got to try it out today

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
all beans are beautiful

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

well-read undead posted:

moving from a glass french press to a double walled metal one was a game changer for me. easier to clean, keeps coffee piping hot forever

I think the glass ones look nicer but I have also moved to double walled metal and it is better

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my partner decided she doesn't want to make coffee in the mornings when she's up first so she got a drip machine with a timer and built in grinder so you put in beans and water the night before and schedule it for the morning

to keep up appearances I made sure to :qq: about our other nicer grinder and carefully weighing beans:water ratios and expert pourover technique but it's all a sham really because it's coffee and it's hot and it's there when you wake up and nobody is too good for that

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
new beans today, can't wait to make morning coffee

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
pro combo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
a little sunday afternoon coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm in great need of coffee this morning. had the first half of the chemex hot, made the second half into iced coffee