Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just poured the best looking piccolo I ever did pull. Good news is it also tastes great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Having a coff right now, a latte with oat milk. If you've never had oat milk in your coffee before you should try it, it is the superior milk.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lord funk posted:

one of the nice surprises about living in china this time around is that there are real coffee bars popping up. like, okay-to-quite-good espresso. it's a product of the boom of the late 2000s; students who went abroad during that time have returned and brought back the things they liked (craft beer, good coffee) and started businesses

There's a lot of good cheap espresso and other coffee gear coming out of China and I figured it must be because of the domestic market. Stuff like 1ZPresso make some of the best hand grinders you can get.

Anyway, I've had 2 coffees this morning, will probably have another over lunch. It's good!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

i have had two (2) coffees today. This number may change.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love the manual coffee process. I've got a direct lever espresso machine and it's v satisfying to feel the pressure build as you push the water through the puck and then start to decline as the puck degrades then you get to have a delicious coffee.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Same as yesterday, I had a coffee.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have had two (2) coffees today.
Will I have a third? Likely.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've been using a filter roast for espresso recently and it's real nice and good. Very light and fruity.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Having an office coffee with oat milk, it's good!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I forgot I bought myself a little chocolate bar as a treat so I had an espresso with it this afternoon and it was great.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Noobles posted:

My mom got me a neat little espresso machine for Christmas! now I have 3 different coffee options which is awesome. I love my Mr. Coffee, espresso machine and moka pot. Got to go do some bean shopping tomorrow.

This leads me to a question though, I don’t have a fancy grinder and have my local shop grind for me when I buy. will beans that are ground for espresso still work alright in the moka pot? I assume I might get a little more sediment in the bottom but is there any major difference in taste?

espresso is a very different game. Depending on the machine you might have more success brewing espresso with the moka grind in with a pressurized basket instead of using an espresso grind in your moka pot. That'll probably give you the most consistent espresso extractions without having your own grinder.

If you're going to make espresso a part of your routine then a good grinder is strongly recommended. Lots of things change required grind size for good results, even stuff like humidity can throw out grinder settings really easily, and changing beans will always require a grind setting adjustment.

The basket on the left here is pressurized, you can tell cause the bottom has only a few holes, not completely covered. These work by restricting the flow through the basket itself, creating the pressure you want for espresso. The one on the right is an unpressurized basket and this is expecting that you're getting your grind size and dose correct for a good extraction.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

with a moka pot just don't tamp down the ground coffee, it'll be fine. better with slightly coarser grind than espresso coffee, but it'll work with whatever.

preground for espresso is always going to be a compromise so you may as well optimise for the moka pot and compromise on the espresso rather than compromise on both

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The DF64 is well regarded. The ITOP40S looks good too but I can't find any reviews.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I once again made myself latte, as I do every morning, and it's good every time

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

made an aeopress and it had an odd flavour to it, almost a musty mouldy breadish type flavour. i do not know what to make of this. they are not moldy beans.

Are you using natural or honey process beans for the first time? They can taste funky

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lousy hat posted:

my desire to find a plant milk that won’t break in my coffee is still unfulfilled. soy and oat both curdle, maybe almond will work better. it’s possible my coffee is just too acidic and I should try a tiny amount of baking soda or something

I just want to have delicious lightened coffee and also reduce my LDLs

Strange about oat milk, have you tried a barista branded one? I use this in a macchiato all the time and have no issue with splitting:

Oat milk is the GOAT alternative milk cause it tastes better than regular milk in coffee.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

lousy hat posted:

yeah I picked up the Chobani barista oat milk and at least when I’ve heated it and done some minor frothing it still seems to break. I may be overheating it before adding it to the coffee, or the lighter roasts I’m using may just be too acidic.

I’ll get around to trying some darker roasts and see how things go. It could be that one of the other barista oat milks will work better, too.

oh no I get to drink more coffee :ohdear:

I've never tried the Chobani but I have tried a few and the So Good has been the best to me.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm having coffee

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

akadajet posted:

that's a nice-looking cup.

Thank you, I got it from an op shop. It's now my go to coffee mug.

An 8oz latte is the perfect size for a coffee

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

my partner asked me to come to "that coffee forum" and ask about affordable but still good espresso machines

hey coffee forum how bout thos espresso machines?

Some good affordable espresso machines are the Breville Dual Boiler, Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia for machines with milk frothing capabilities. If you want just espresso then something like the Flair 58 and if you want both steam and a hand pulled lever machine then a La Pavoni Professional is nice.

Spend the same amount again on a grinder.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Manual espresso with lever machines, is cool and good and really easy. Because you control the force and speed through the whole shot you get a really good feel as to how it's going and what you'll need to change. You'll be making great espresso in no time. I got a La Pavoni Expo 2015 and it's the last coffee machine I'll need.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm growing to really detest those asmr ish vids

this stuff is just EDC for coffee drinkers

Making my first antagonistic coffee

https://i.imgur.com/KPRtSM2.mp4

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

these are all 4 digits so i guess it is safe to assume that espresso is not a thing we should get into until we're mega serious about it

amazon is aggressively promoting this at me but i assume $200 is bad

Breville do the best espresso as appliance. The Breville Batista Express has an inbuilt grinder and is $700 AUD so should be less over there.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

mystes posted:

If that's all you want then a cheap one will probably be fine

It probably won't even make a full 9 bar

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

i see it for $1000 CAD. seeing as it has a built in grinder that might honestly be the best possible deal, especially since we're not trying to become baristas, we just want to buy few coffee shop lattes. we've easily spent $1000 on just loving starbucks in the past 5 years.

Yeah, you can spend less but I think that's the least you can spend and still get a good espresso at the end of it. The Breville machines have good communities around them so if you get deeper into it there's mods that people to like adjusting the over pressure valve to get higher pressures, making the grinder stepless and installing PIDs. You don't need to go that far but if you do end up really getting into espresso it's nice to have a machine you can work on.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The coffee crises continue, I woke up and my machine isn't heating up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Crisis averted, I fixed my machine then gave my coffee corner a good clean. Going to celebrate with a coffee

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Making a coffee

https://i.imgur.com/4VD48JQ.mp4

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

having a coffee right now

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

new beans day they're very nice

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

having a coff

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

made a latte with my new espresso machine, seems good!

An espresso machine is truly a wonderful thing.

I'm at the local cafe having a big breakfast and coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

had a coffee and some crumpets