Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really awnt this

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/ottomatic-coffeemaker.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fart simpson posted:

what does it do? it just looks like a hot water heater

yes, if there was an actual reason to own it i would by now because i am an infant

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
a yosposter recommended not using a french press if you have stomach problems and i found them to be very correct

deffo use something with a paper filter if you value your stomach and drink too much coffee

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Syncopated posted:

first cup off coffee for the day, with a peanut butter sandwich, watching starcraft 2. sunday morning ftw

first cup of the day. laying in bed. balancing the coffee cup on my window sill full of old coffee cups and garbage.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
realized i should just bring cold brew to work forever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
does cold coffee bad in the fridge

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
maybe ill freeze it

i made ... a bit too much

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Wild EEPROM posted:

I like espresso very very very much.

I would like to espresso at home.

I am poor as poo poo and also don't have the space for an enormous machine with 27 stages or anything like that.

What is my best alternative to start on this expensive and dangerous route

my experience with home espresso hasn't been great, but i haven't tried since i was like 20 so maybe there are good options???

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
at the coffee shop rn

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

None of my friends have those wasteful disposable coffee pieces of poo poo, because I have some loving dignity. Unfriend this trashcan and Go Green.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ok yospos my krupps blade grinder isnt cutting it. what burr grinder do you all suggest? mostly for drip to my chemex

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ive been using a scale + thermometer and ill never go back

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Podima posted:

this is what i use - no frills but it gets the job done

https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-...rt+burr+grinder

I'll debate between this and the encore

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i went with the baratza encore because i am a worthless yuppie gently caress

will report back soon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Visual GNUdio posted:

getting the beans wet (or moist) is a non-starter, so water baths aren't going to help much. the ghetto cooling setup is a colander in a box with a hole for a shop vac. it pulls ambient-temp air around all the beans which does a pretty quick job of bringing the temp down to ambient without introducing any additional moisture, or going below ambient and thus potentially inducing condensation.

commercial roasters cool beans using the same method only scaled up a bit and with some spinning arms to agitate the beans (I just use my hands):

the only thing that should be getting roasted is your shameful coffee setup

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Visual GNUdio posted:

^ pro choice

lattes are an acceptable choice if you are getting a coffee to go at a place that does good capps / machiatos. you dont want a cappuccino to go but a latte works.

drip is fine too.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Malcolm XML posted:

french roast is the coffee equivalent of a well done steak

nuh uh, it says 'french' in it so it must be good

also my baratza was supposed to be here last week and then yesterday but i believe it will finally be getting here today, so I am working from home in anticipation

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my encore got here really late so i'm drinking coffee at 5

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
latte, wrote my email address on the receipt and gave it to the barista and she was excited to receive it

because she's studying computer programming and we've been talking about programming and i like having friends who program

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 5, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's time for me to face the fact that i really need to cut back on coffee

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I literally cannot remember what it's like to not drink coffee all day every day.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
stopping at 2 cups plus a tea thing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it could be my imagination but i feel way less lovely than i usually do in the afternoon

welp that's my story

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Fayez Butts posted:

i love coffee

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
feeling pretty good on day 2. alllllmost made a pot of coffee at ~ 5pm, but I overcame the temptation and just smoked some weed instead.

had a latte @ ~ 7:30am and machine generated garbage @ ~ 10am

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonny 290 posted:

Coffee doesn't even get you hosed up, wtf :v:

maybe not at your quantities

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really, really enjoy that phrase

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
girlfriend and I have decided to try and get into tea. gonna buy a gaiwan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiwan) and we already have a water kettle/thermometer from coffee so it should be easy to get started.

but holy poo poo there are so many teas to choose from. i think we're gonna start with some puerh tea because we both love fermented poo poo, even though it seems to be a pretty 'advanced' tea. we'll get some more basic bitch stuff too though.

very excited. here's smythe drinking some puerh tea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSM9cqYMIY

the people i've seen in all the tea videos i've watched so far are intolerable

this video is more tolerable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tA3fFCP34

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 16, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
in coffee news, i made my coffee grind way finer and holy poo poo it like doubled the flavor. probably too much but it's delicious.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've also been putting a little bit of coconut oil in my coffee (i'm doing keto, thanks for asking) and it's really good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so if I want to go crazy and get a decent espresso machine w/ foam wand, how much am I looking at spending?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bhodi posted:

Around $300 for a real good entry level one

nice i was thinking it would be a lot more. ty

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
space is an issue for me, so I ended up getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DMQ952

and this:

https://www.amazon.com/Philippe-Taglioni-Automatic-Milk-Frother

i'm sold on manual espresso maker, and while I'm technically sold on the frother (as I've bought it) I'm skeptical.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

space is an issue for me, so I ended up getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DMQ952

and this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8WFKR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i'm sold on manual espresso maker, and while I'm technically sold on the frother (as I've bought it) I'm skeptical.

update on these:

very pleased with my purchases. I'm very far from producing perfect shots, but even so, I'm absolutely producing real, good tasting espresso. total cost was about 240, plus the 200 i spent on an encore (grinder) a year ago. takes up way less space than a full on machine and was not too expensive.

the milk frother is actually pretty cool in its own right but the foam it produces is too rigid for perfect espresso drinks. but it's incredibly easy to use and compact and the drinks I make with it still taste good so I'm happy. also it can make cold foam which I've been mixing with cold brew. I had no idea you could make cold foam and I'm surprised I've never seen cold foam / cold brew drinks before.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rip

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
c manual espresso s: my flair is now producing really good shots and i'm very satisfied with my purchase. around 500 (including the auto frother and grinder) and i'm producing espresso that's in the ballpark of what you'd get at a good coffee shop.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ive never in my life had dunkin donuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there are a few dunkin donuts nearby i've just never really seen a reason to bother with them since i walk by a pro tier coffee shop on my way to work and also make good coffee at home and i dont really like donuts.