Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

<3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I made my pourover setup even dumber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4PnNO5ktlI

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

My roaster is a POS that does a pretty bad job of cooling the beans post-roast so I ginned up this horrible contraption

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Had time for one more before heading out the door this morning

While I'm posting dumb coffee crap, here's my voice-activated MQTT enabled WiFi connected PID controlled IoTea kettle. It's better than yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4PnNO5ktlI

build details if anyone cares

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Turns out your don't need thousands of dollars of equipment to make coffee!

:rolleyes: this guy...

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Is your name Gale and do you happen to operate a meth lab in New Mexico?

Nope but I did make this a while back:

so... maybe?

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Running out of beans so today is roasting day. Taking a break as I just burned the poo poo out of my arm due to my roaster being something of a POS when it comes to cooling (and thermometry, but that's another story).

My scrub-tier roasting station:

The roaster is a Behmor 1600 plus, which has the advantage of being inexpensive and... mostly nothing else really. The cooling process on this thing takes forever resulting in gross baked beans, so I've built this ghetto cooling setup:

The way the thing is built makes it nearly impossible to measure the temp of the beans, so I'm left to try to infer WTF is happening with the roast from a couple of thermometers ostensibly measuring the environmental temp and the exhaust temp. They create repeatable numbers, but those numbers are in some scale that nobody knows outside of not being degrees F or C.

All in all this way too much fuckin effort to justify the money saved by buying green beans instead of beans roasted by someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing (eg, not me).

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

getting the beans wet (or moist) is a non-starter, so water baths aren't going to help much. the ghetto cooling setup is a colander in a box with a hole for a shop vac. it pulls ambient-temp air around all the beans which does a pretty quick job of bringing the temp down to ambient without introducing any additional moisture, or going below ambient and thus potentially inducing condensation.

commercial roasters cool beans using the same method only scaled up a bit and with some spinning arms to agitate the beans (I just use my hands):

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

^ pro choice

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the only thing that should be getting roasted is your shameful coffee setup

ugh i know. i live in a yuppie condo with no garage or anything like that which is why you see it being done near a window. poo poo is smokey with this crapass 15a electric job, an actual gas powered roaster is a non-starter unless you can work fully outside (not possible year round in my parts) or have hefty fume extraction (which i can't have for reasons).

i'm waffling over just pulling the trigger on this hog but it's $$$. The roastersperg-approved software package now supports it and software PID is coming soon*, so you can feed it a desired temp curve, dump in beans, and it'll do the needful from there.

*edit: apparently it's now out in beta.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 2, 2016

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

While I am the worst sort of overprivileged white dude that roasts his own coffee and prepares lattes on an imported Italian espresso machine, I still find myself at worksites where horrible overroasted stale robusta beans are dumped into a Bunn drip machine and poured into styrofoam cups by thousands of office drones.

Doesn't matter, got sludge.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

latte, wrote my email address on the receipt and gave it to the barista and she was excited to receive it

because she's studying computer programming and we've been talking about programming and i like having friends who program

username/post combo hilarity

just finished latte number 3, time to make number 4. yay working from home!

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Visual GNUdio posted:

i'm waffling over just pulling the trigger on this hog but it's $$$. The roastersperg-approved software package now supports it and software PID is coming soon*, so you can feed it a desired temp curve, dump in beans, and it'll do the needful from there.

*edit: apparently it's now out in beta.

Some stars have aligned and my account for pointless projects is stacked with cash so I've gone ahead and purchased the last of these things currently available in NA for a couple months. This should provide even more expensive ways to burn the poo poo out of myself and make sub-standard coffee until I figure this crap out.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

double ohm seven posted:

did you work from home so you could binge on half of gallon of milk and then have the toilet to yourself?
I need fuel for my posts...

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Saturday is Drink Too Many Lattes Day, so let's get started

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

this morning i've roasted 3 batches of beans and had 3 lattes.

a good sunday.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

New roaster is worth the $$$ in charts and graphs and shiny metal.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Here's the roast console. The software is a general-purpose interface for controlling roasting equipment, from home-brew heat gun/bread machine setups to large-batch commercial roasters from Probat/Diedrich/Ambex/etc . As such, you need to do a little setup to get everything working with your own gear. I've added buttons and sliders to let me control the various components of my particular roaster which you see along the left side (heat & fan) and along the bottom.

When the roast is actually running another line of standard buttons appear along the bottom, all of which (my custom ones you see and the standard ones that only appear during an actual roast) are fully programmable. For example, I have programmed the "DROP" button to leave the drum motor running, set power to 0%, set the fan to 100%, open the bean ejection door solenoid, and engage the agitation arms in the cooling tray. I've then programmed an alarm to shut everything down after 5 minutes of cooling.

The alarms allow you to program basically everything on this machine from the point when you add the beans to the end of the cooling cycle. Every bean is going to react differently so the general approach is to tune the alarms to program your way through a particular bean using a combination of alarm points for temp/time/etc to adjust the heating elements and/or fans.

The latest thinking in the coffee roasting world suggests that a steadily declining Rate of Rise (ROR) is the key to roasts that don't suck. The navy blue line above is the Bean Temperature (BT) which comes from a thermocouple sticking into the pile of beans as they're tumbled around in the drum. Once the roast gets going, you want the BT to rise at a steadily decreasing rate. The blue line in the graph labeled DeltaBT (starting at around 40 seconds at the bottom) tracks the first derivative of the navy curve, showing the rate of change of the BT indicated above. This curve should shoot up after the turning point (labeled TP here) and then slowly, smoothly decline until the end of the roast. With a little smoothing of the data and some squinting this roast almost looks good (it isn't, the beans are terrible).

More recently, it has been posited that the ideal rate of rise should itself look something like a natural log curve. You can enter math expressions directly and have them plotted, or just use a previous roast that tasted good and skip all this dumb math, then set it as a "background" curve to try and match it with your current roast. Once you have a curve you like, you can also configure the software to engage a PID algorithm to control the heat/fan/etc in an attempt to fit the desired curve. I haven't quite gotten this far with the software, but it promises to provide a consistent, repeatable roast which is something I couldn't really accomplish without being able to track the bean temperature.

I have some beans that should be ready for pickup today and I'll finally get a chance to roast something I intend to drink.

edit: sorry cats but I've taken over your tree

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 10, 2016

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Work from home this morning means better coffee

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

triple sulk posted:

already too latte for that

prefect posted:

i demand that visual gnudio release the origin story of his posting station! :rant:

From a thread a while back.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 14, 2016

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

shot and a sidecar this morning

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a shipment came in

NICE!

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Rack cat and the roasting cart

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah I like the high school cafeteria look

that's a hell of a guess, as i live in a 150-year-old high school building converted into yuppie condos

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Saturday morning means there's going to be a latte of this going on

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

My roast profile for the espresso blend I've been using lately is shaping up nicely:

As before, I'm trying to get the blue line (DeltaBT) to shoot up then steadily decrease over time, which is shaping up OK here. Development time (labeled 22.8%) is targeted to be between 20-25% which is looking good. The dash-dot black line is a natural log curve which fits my profile nicely through the second two stages of the roast (Maillard and development). There's been some suggestion that this is a good thing but it's mostly just a guess so who knows. It'll be a few days before this batch hits the grinder but the numbers look great, the beans appear uniformly roasted, and it smells fantastic.

I've also have the "alarms" program nearly fully automated at this point. When I start up a new roast it turns everything on, heats up the unit, then starts logging data near the charge and alerts me to get ready. It alerts again for me to dump beans into the thing ("charge" the roaster), then it's on full autopilot to guide the roast from there on. When it hits a BT of 390°F* it'll open the ejection door, dump the beans into the cooling tray, start the fans to cool the drum and to pull air through the beans in the tray, and starts the stirring arms for cooling. 5 minutes later it stops that, and keeps running the fans until it reaches 150°F or until I cycle the thing to start another roast.

There is always a chance of a bean fire and other calamities (most of which I've experienced), so it's not really a fire-and-forget operation, but this approach both simplifies the process and helps ensure consistent results batch after batch.

*I have reason to believe my BT probe is reading ~20°F low, which I can fix in the software but it doesn't really matter so I just record the data as-is and adjust my interpretation accordingly.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

My coffee spergin has gotten completely out of hand. This latest attempt is so godawful dumb that I don't even want to post it here, so I'll just link to it for everyone to make fun of.

You know who needs machine learning to enjoy a cup of sludge? loving nobody, that's who.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Infinotize posted:

how many grams is your handlebar moustachee

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

prefect posted:

seriously, is that desk custom-made? i love the look of it

apologies in advance for non-coffee content here..

The desk frame is a GeekDesk Max lift, then I designed the surface/rack units/monitor risers in sketchup to fit in the room and cut them from maple butcherblock

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

lol if you chug coffee so slowly that it gets cold
double lol if you don't just drink it anyway

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

prefect posted:

i need it to cool off before i can drink it, but once it's below that point, it's getting drunk

Standard protocol is to let it cool for 8-10 minutes.

In other news, there are in fact standard protocols for coffee slurpin'.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Still have a bunch of work to do but I've run my first training against actual data, created a hidden markov model classifier, and it can now successfully detect the sound coffee makes at a critical stage in the roasting process ("first crack").

To the best of my knowledge this is the first application of ML tools to the coffee roasting process, likely on account of being an entirely stupid use case.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just brewed some of last week's roast

it's really good

:krad:

What are you roasting with?

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

^5 kalita buddy

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I just bought 20 pounds of the worst coffee beans imaginable. My dumb machine learning project needs data, and for that I need to roast into second crack (past if I can stand the smoke). I don't at all care for beans roasted that dark, and I didn't want to burn beans that I paid actual monies for on account of this dumbass idea of mine, so I talked to my local greens supplier and asked if they had a garbage bag of poo poo-tier beans and explained the situation. They offered to unload some robusta beans they had purchased to use for some cupping classes in order to demonstrate what lovely coffee is like, and wound up with 100+ pounds of this garbage. He was only too happy to unload some on me and my dumb ideas.

Everything about this is horribad. Tiny rear end beans, no consistency at all, and it's robusta which means it's crap to begin with.

It'll do perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

It's alive!

I have the classifiers running in realtime and sending data into Artisan. The green squiggly line at the bottom is the KNN classifier catching first crack events from the recorded audio stream. While running the roast I manually marked first crack start and first crack end which are marked against the dark blue line above as FCs and FCe. Note that the trained model and my manual input line up pretty fuckin nicely.