Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
whats a good but cheap espresso machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
an older white lady on an airport shuttle was telling me about how she hopes this at least means there will be gun control legislation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
anyone have experience w this machine a lazy Google search seems to indicate it's a good affordable espresso machine

http://www.theedgecoffee.com/gaggia-14101-classic-brushed-stainless-steel-espresso-machine-review/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how unethical is an iced espresso . I love it in the summer even tho I feel like I'm probably destroying the flavor

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Cocoa Crispies posted:

went to panther this morning, had a nitro cold brew and a croissant

I've tried nitro cold brew and i was underwhelmed. maybe they tapped it bad but id rather just have the regular cold brew

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
tried a nitro cold brew again and while its good the nitro falls out too fast and then it's just a slightly funny tasting cold brew.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
something something cheese cloth

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thinking about making some decaf to unwind this evening

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
june '16 consumer reports has an section about cold brew

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

triple sulk posted:

uh, smythe??? can we do something about this soda drinking scum????

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep posted:

i had cold brew "mocha latte" aka cold brew + chocolate milk

are you ex cited to graduate from middle school

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
literally had a "haven't had coffee yet so forgot to put the grounds in" moment im officially my mom

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jonny 290 posted:

the next time somebody visits a waiting room or their grandpa's house can you do a quick scan of this?

I can look it up w the university library's subscription when I'm at work

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
consumer reports is really good

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

mishaq posted:

i made some pseudoespresso in my moka pot after dinner

what's that

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
too lazy to go to the library to get good espresso so i used the lavazza pod machine in our building and its not great

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
weird craving for dunkin donuts coffee wtf is wrong with me

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
just got an espresso from the library, it was really loving good. i should see what beans they use

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
got cold brew frmo the library, v dece

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Captain Foo posted:

i had some p good hot black this mornin'

post not about coffee, mods??????

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
roll that beautiful bean footage

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
surely someone has roasted coffee beans over a bitcoin rig

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
iced coffee thats just excess from yesterday stuck in the fridsge

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Visual GNUdio posted:

Here's the roast console. The software is a general-purpose interface for controlling roasting equipment, from home-brew heat gun/bread machine setups to large-batch commercial roasters from Probat/Diedrich/Ambex/etc . As such, you need to do a little setup to get everything working with your own gear. I've added buttons and sliders to let me control the various components of my particular roaster which you see along the left side (heat & fan) and along the bottom.

When the roast is actually running another line of standard buttons appear along the bottom, all of which (my custom ones you see and the standard ones that only appear during an actual roast) are fully programmable. For example, I have programmed the "DROP" button to leave the drum motor running, set power to 0%, set the fan to 100%, open the bean ejection door solenoid, and engage the agitation arms in the cooling tray. I've then programmed an alarm to shut everything down after 5 minutes of cooling.

The alarms allow you to program basically everything on this machine from the point when you add the beans to the end of the cooling cycle. Every bean is going to react differently so the general approach is to tune the alarms to program your way through a particular bean using a combination of alarm points for temp/time/etc to adjust the heating elements and/or fans.

The latest thinking in the coffee roasting world suggests that a steadily declining Rate of Rise (ROR) is the key to roasts that don't suck. The navy blue line above is the Bean Temperature (BT) which comes from a thermocouple sticking into the pile of beans as they're tumbled around in the drum. Once the roast gets going, you want the BT to rise at a steadily decreasing rate. The blue line in the graph labeled DeltaBT (starting at around 40 seconds at the bottom) tracks the first derivative of the navy curve, showing the rate of change of the BT indicated above. This curve should shoot up after the turning point (labeled TP here) and then slowly, smoothly decline until the end of the roast. With a little smoothing of the data and some squinting this roast almost looks good (it isn't, the beans are terrible).

More recently, it has been posited that the ideal rate of rise should itself look something like a natural log curve. You can enter math expressions directly and have them plotted, or just use a previous roast that tasted good and skip all this dumb math, then set it as a "background" curve to try and match it with your current roast. Once you have a curve you like, you can also configure the software to engage a PID algorithm to control the heat/fan/etc in an attempt to fit the desired curve. I haven't quite gotten this far with the software, but it promises to provide a consistent, repeatable roast which is something I couldn't really accomplish without being able to track the bean temperature.

I have some beans that should be ready for pickup today and I'll finally get a chance to roast something I intend to drink.

edit: sorry cats but I've taken over your tree

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
☕️

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
finished off my iced, praise the bean

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
got an afternoon espresso from the library, gotta ask what beans they use it was amazing

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
been having pretty lousy canadian coffee all week, looking forward to getting back home

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
had some coffee too late in the evening and regretting it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
both cafes near me are closed for the week gently caress my life i need coffee

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
espresso at a friend's cafe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
mcdonalds iced coffee at the airport

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
there was a dead cockroach in my coffee pot this morning and I'm still extremely upset about it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
double shot from the library, new barista but not half bad

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if i want to make some cold brew at home do i need anything beyond just two large containers and cheese cloth? also whats a dece grinds to water ratio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
yesterdays brew iced and delicious