Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
i felt like poo poo all week so this morning i made myself a triple shot instead of a single and then i felt like functional poo poo, it were a blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
coffee machine drippin like it needs a new gasket somewhere and i'm wondering how long i can get away with just... not putting the cups under where the drips fall

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Wild EEPROM posted:

I like espresso very very very much.

I would like to espresso at home.

I am poor as poo poo and also don't have the space for an enormous machine with 27 stages or anything like that.

What is my best alternative to start on this expensive and dangerous route

by most accounts a good grinder is the most important thing. electric ones idk much about. home coffee-nerd standards are the mazzer super jolly mini, rancilio rocky, they're huge and cost $500 or something stupid, iberital makes a cheap one (like $150 or something) that's said to be p nice and doesn't take up quite so much counter space

if you can handle ~2 minutes of hand grinding per shot, the japanese-made ceramic grinders (hario, porlex, kyocera) are great and comparatively dirt cheap.

machine: if you want something cheap & bulletproof that you shouldn't have to janitor beyond descaling, get an old gaggia home machine from before they put stupid fake-crema attachments in the portafilters.

the classic is probably the best and least likely to gently caress up but the baby or coffee deluxe should be fine too

avoid the cubika, gran, newer plasticky-looking models starting with baby, non-deluxe coffee

if you want hosed up mid-90s design to match your 20th anniversary macintosh the tebe and paros have the same guts, plus the paros has an okay grinder built in

you should be able to find this stuff used around the $100 mark.

my experience is that if you're not an enormous horrible nerd (ie someone who wants to spend time perfecting their Process rather than just drinking some nice coffee) you'll never need to "graduate" from this stuff

a whole lot of what you gain when you switch to a $1000+ setup is throughput and speed, ie a grinder that fills your basket in 10 seconds instead of 2 minutes and a machine that can pull a dozen shots in a row without needing time to heat back up, so don't worry about your rig being "inadequate"

anyway i like espressos and i also like minmaxing my effort:coffee ratio so i figure what worked for me should be p good for you, happy sludging friend :coffeepal:

Usagi-Sauce fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 14, 2016

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

yippee cahier posted:

excellent advice above. really want to emphasise that at the lower and mid range, all bang for your buck will come from the grinder. if your machine can heat water and doesn't have a poo poo pump it will make good espresso.

extremely this. i meet too many people who say home espresso isn't worth it and then i find out they were using a big tupperware thing of coffee they got ground at the shop two weeks ago, or some pre-ground stuff out of a bag.

gotta crunch up thos beans fresh fresh fresh, rule of threes (coffee's good for three months green, three weeks roasted, and three minutes ground)

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Jonny 290 posted:

like do you sit around and sip your 1.75 oz $200 machine coffee out of a tiny cup or do you just pound it like shots or what

i literally dont know ive never had expresso or whatever

idk if there's an Authentic Ritual you gotta do that's handed down from some 110 year old italian coffee sage, mine usually goes in a latte because i'm already making one for the gf, or i down it if i'm in a hurry and just want to not have a headache all morning

making and drinking coffee however the gently caress you want is v important but man it tweaks me when people say you literally can't make espresso at home because they spent $2000 on a commercial machine and $0 on no grinder and theirs came out lovely.
i don't wanna be the coffee police but i cannot help trying to be the bullshit police

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
ran outta beans, more coffee tomorrow

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
caffeine holiday this weekend to put the edge back on my sludge for monday, decided i may as well start now since today's hosed anyway

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
it's cool i'm not at work so i can just keep topping up my scotch till sunday night

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

bump_fn posted:

anyone have experience w this machine a lazy Google search seems to indicate it's a good affordable espresso machine

http://www.theedgecoffee.com/gaggia-14101-classic-brushed-stainless-steel-espresso-machine-review/

yeah the classic works just fine and is probably the only machine you'll ever need

p much anything with a boiler and pump will make good spros if you give it good grounds but the classic will also probably last longer than any other non-commercial one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
made 2 coffees and gf decided to sleep in because work can go gently caress itself so :sludgepal: