Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nice failzone cup, wawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

i had a mcdonald's coffee last week for the first time in forever and it is objectively far better than wawa's. it's actually also better than dunkin or starbucks.

its better than starbucks for sure but not better than dunkin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Like a thermos except it actually keeps coffee hot

don't buy cheap thermoses

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
alton usually knows what hes talking about when it comes to food and food preparation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is aplain ole bodum french press a good french press to get

i'm tired of doing long pour overs to fill my huge thermos

bonus points if it looks cool

this is the French press I have http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FEF1DM its insulated so it doesn't lose as much heat while steeping

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as the name suggests it has high amounts of win.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have a breville burr grinder and locally made mugs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

Loose Leaf Jade Oolong in Resistence Mug

uhhhhhhh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

the olds in maine lived there already, the olds in florida moved there on purpose

the olds in maine and florida have like a 20% overlap.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the discussion was about why someone couldn't find self checkout machines in florida and I suggested it was all the old people. we also don't have very many self checkouts here for the same reason. I wish we did have more of them tho because they are the best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sounds like maybe you should move to florida or maine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho lots of yosposters are also confused by coke freestyle machines so maybe you people are all a lot older than I thought

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao.

*80 year old yosposter walks up to the coke machine*
"bluuhhhh which button do a click for coke?? theres one that says coke with the coke logo, is that it???" *drools on self*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Picked up some coffee @ Cumberland Farms.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

that sounds extremely good

mcdonalds coffee is very good and is probably the second best national chain coffee after dunkin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
finished my coffee whilst sitting out in the sun watching the river

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

i've been thinking about it and i can't remember ever buying a cup of coffe like from a starbucks or a bottled/canned coffee or w/e

ive had their coffee a few times and its very bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

For some reason only one of the toilets at my work sprays warm water while the other sprays cold.

the worst toilet prank.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im drinking an Cumberland Farms iced coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
drinking some coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
drinking some coffee right now. its good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
taking the first sips of my Cumberland Farmsİ coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Drinking some coffee right now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I grind my grocery store beans in a burr grinder and then press them in my $20 insulated press. it makes good coffee I guess.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

c afternoon coffee s:

having coffee at 4:30pm on a saturday

this time i did it in a percolator tho just prepping for camping trip next weekend, worked out p good i gotta say

not as harsh as i thought it'd be, but, im mad it was silent - it's the first time i ever did perc coffee in my life and i expected it to make the sound in that song

shame about that keyboard and "mouse"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's disgusting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
starbucks is garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cold brew is always a mess and the best you can do is like use your drip maker for filtering. you're still gonna have clogged cheesecloth and its still gonna be a pita

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
drinking Cumberland farms bogata sunrise blend

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

had some dunk's iced but accidentally left it at home when I went to get on the T

oh well guess you'll have to get a new one at any of the 10 dunkins between home and destination.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Visual GNUdio posted:

Here's the roast console. The software is a general-purpose interface for controlling roasting equipment, from home-brew heat gun/bread machine setups to large-batch commercial roasters from Probat/Diedrich/Ambex/etc . As such, you need to do a little setup to get everything working with your own gear. I've added buttons and sliders to let me control the various components of my particular roaster which you see along the left side (heat & fan) and along the bottom.

When the roast is actually running another line of standard buttons appear along the bottom, all of which (my custom ones you see and the standard ones that only appear during an actual roast) are fully programmable. For example, I have programmed the "DROP" button to leave the drum motor running, set power to 0%, set the fan to 100%, open the bean ejection door solenoid, and engage the agitation arms in the cooling tray. I've then programmed an alarm to shut everything down after 5 minutes of cooling.

The alarms allow you to program basically everything on this machine from the point when you add the beans to the end of the cooling cycle. Every bean is going to react differently so the general approach is to tune the alarms to program your way through a particular bean using a combination of alarm points for temp/time/etc to adjust the heating elements and/or fans.

The latest thinking in the coffee roasting world suggests that a steadily declining Rate of Rise (ROR) is the key to roasts that don't suck. The navy blue line above is the Bean Temperature (BT) which comes from a thermocouple sticking into the pile of beans as they're tumbled around in the drum. Once the roast gets going, you want the BT to rise at a steadily decreasing rate. The blue line in the graph labeled DeltaBT (starting at around 40 seconds at the bottom) tracks the first derivative of the navy curve, showing the rate of change of the BT indicated above. This curve should shoot up after the turning point (labeled TP here) and then slowly, smoothly decline until the end of the roast. With a little smoothing of the data and some squinting this roast almost looks good (it isn't, the beans are terrible).

More recently, it has been posited that the ideal rate of rise should itself look something like a natural log curve. You can enter math expressions directly and have them plotted, or just use a previous roast that tasted good and skip all this dumb math, then set it as a "background" curve to try and match it with your current roast. Once you have a curve you like, you can also configure the software to engage a PID algorithm to control the heat/fan/etc in an attempt to fit the desired curve. I haven't quite gotten this far with the software, but it promises to provide a consistent, repeatable roast which is something I couldn't really accomplish without being able to track the bean temperature.

I have some beans that should be ready for pickup today and I'll finally get a chance to roast something I intend to drink.

edit: sorry cats but I've taken over your tree

nerd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

i decided to significantly cut down on alcohol and i have replaced it entirely with iced coffee

ur supposed to add them 2gether

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have green mountain Sumatran reserve and I like it pretty good. I get it at the grocery store and its cheap.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I like the high school cafeteria look

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Thinkin bout thos beans

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
better than starbucks for sure, but idk about dunkin.

tbh I get all my fast coffee @ Cumberland farms where any size is always 99 cents.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mcds is newmans own.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
had thos beans on the way to ll beans and got more beans on the way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

at the date posted:

A tea drinker would never heap such indignity upon himself. He would embark on a refreshing constitutional or swoon fetchingly on the divan.

tea drinkers are human refuse