Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

for every coffee you don't drink, i'll drink three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

had coffee today, starting off the year right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im about to have another one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
drinking coffee right now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Noobles posted:

My mom got me a neat little espresso machine for Christmas! now I have 3 different coffee options which is awesome. I love my Mr. Coffee, espresso machine and moka pot. Got to go do some bean shopping tomorrow.

This leads me to a question though, I don’t have a fancy grinder and have my local shop grind for me when I buy. will beans that are ground for espresso still work alright in the moka pot? I assume I might get a little more sediment in the bottom but is there any major difference in taste?

If you decrease grind size and leave all other variables the same, it should result in greater extraction which might be more bitter. I've never used a moka pot, so i couldnt really say but i dont think you can adjust the brew time to compensate. If you can somehow speed up the brew time that would in theory decrease the immersion time of the grounds and lower extraction.

Additionally, you might need to worry about finer grounds blocking the filter which would make the over extraction worse as it would increase brew time and probably temperature as well (if the brew even works at all)

That said if it doesnt work it doesnt work. Give it a try and see what happens!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a truly thoughtful gift, imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it also means any time you want to get her a gift, you can just buy her more espresso accessories for you to use with the machine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im gonna get some coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i got some coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HamAdams posted:

coffee is my valentine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

drank coffee every morning this week. still drinking some this morning with a breakfast of day old donuts

im drinking coffee and wishing i had some day old donuts to go with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nobody Interesting posted:

my partner asked me to come to "that coffee forum" and ask about affordable but still good espresso machines

hey coffee forum how bout thos espresso machines?

you should get one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imo a good grinder is the most important thing. They make cheap grinders with real conical burrs and they can grind super fine, but the problem with them is they cant grind consistently. they have plastic adjustment mechanisms to save money which means every time you change the grind setting its so loose that you cant go back and forth between settings reliably.

You can spend a little less by getting a hand grinder like a 1zpresso j(x)-pro. They're excellent grinders, but you have to decide if the convenience of good electric grinder is worth it to you.

there are cheap machines that can still give you good coffee and take advantage of a good grinder, they've just got cheaper internals and accessories and dont hold up to long term every day use.

a gaggia classic (evo) pro is one of the most common entry level espresso machines and will last you forever as long as you descale it regularly (if you have hard water). They also have a huge community around them and loads of accessories and mods.

Whatever you get unless it comes with a good portafilter and basket, you're gonna want to replace it with a bottomless portalfilter and a VST or barista pro basket.

Theres a whole rabbit hole you can go down w/ accessories.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im drinking coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i had a coffee this morning, might have another this afternoon

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
good coffee is the best

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I had coffee this morning and will probably have coffee later today.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i drank the coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im making coffee right now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im drinking coffee and its pretty good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes, always

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
litterrally grinding the beans for coffee right now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im going to make more coffee

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i went to the store to buy coffee yesterday. I got a different roast than i usually do and it is not as good, but its still coffee so it is still good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i had a coffee and i will definitely drink more coffee later today

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

got a free big Americano at work!

im so honored they are naming drinks after me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i had a coffee and i will definitely drink more coffee later today