Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Super useful information in here, thanks!

I'll be headed to Iceland for 10 days in the middle of May and it just so happens that my travel buddy's birthday will be in Iceland. Looking for recommendations for a good-to-excellent seafood restaurant in or close to Selfoss. The actual day of birthday we'll be driving out to the Golden Circle from Selfoss so Reykjavik won't be too far, and I don't mind the drive if the food is fresh and tasty. Price point doesn't really matter because how often do you get to celebrate someone's birthday in Iceland? (yeah, yeah- locals, people who go for birthdays, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Saladman posted:

You're in luck: Tryggvaskali is in Selfoss. We ate out a bunch with no budget concerns, and that was our best restaurant in Iceland for a mixture of atmosphere + food quality reasons. They have a great selection of beers too. Book in advance or expect to wait 60+ minutes to get seated. It'll run you about $50 each, so it's not that bad considering Iceland.

Thanks. Any other recommendations? I'm looking for the freshest seafood I can get, think cod, salmon, etc. which I saw the menu for Tryggvaskali and it seems to be 50/50.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Drive back to Reykjavik and go to Fiskmarkašurinn. Get a reservation.

Menu looks diverse, is it worth it? We'll be coming from Oxara after bumming around Thingvellir (with a snorkel excursion in Silfra) earlier in the day, and still have to drive back to Selfoss where lodging is. I guess if I'm driving though, passenger can't really complain about the added drive time.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Do rental car places (specifically Hertz since I'm renting through them) have a map of where you can and can't drive? We're getting a 4WD SUV and spending a small fortune on it; I'd hate to get charged a penalty, but I'm also kinda tilted that even with 4WD they won't let you go where you want. Obviously, I'm not going to attempt driving up a volcano or something silly like that.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Saladman posted:

You can't drive offroads in any car, rental or not.

For roads, all rental agencies ban you from crossing the Krossa river on the F249. I don't think any other roads are expressly banned, but most-if-not-all rental agencies' insurance won't cover you if you do end up loving up a river crossing, even if you bought all the extra insurance packages.

You're also (obviously?) not covered if you're on an F-road when it's officially closed by the Icelandic government. This will be pretty obvious because they always put up road blocks when a road is closed, so you'd have to specifically go offroads to drive around it to continue on the road and it would not be possible to accidentally end up on a closed road.

To clarify, F roads, not gonna be the douche who puts tread marks on someone's yard/garden. Getting mixed signals because some folks are saying you can't drive on certain F roads in a rental, even if it has 4WD.

• Locked thread