Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any advice for someone that will be in Reykjavik in mid-June?

I'm looking for high cool factor. I don't want to fly there to shop or see some mundane bullshit.

Driving is fine, costs aren't a huge deal but I don't want to go home broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Seriously, I can't recommend Jokulsarlon, Thingvellir, and Skaftafell enough. Grab a car at KEF and drive east. Reykjavik is interesting for two days tops.

June will be a good time to go but expect tourist hordes around the golden circle (Geysir, Gulfoss, Kerio, Strokkur).

It'll be day light late into the evening which takes some getting used to, but every hotel I was in had blackout shades. Load up on breakfast as it's probably going to be your most filling meal of the day.

Sweet. I will have more questions as I start to find stuff and places to explore. Thanks very much.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

lightpole posted:

It's still there but they have all sorts of construction on the blocks next to it. There were huge lines at all times except early in the morning. Icelanders love their hotdogs!

Also found an awesome bakery that has no indication outside or on the Internet that it exists. I was just lucky enough to walk by when there were fresh rolls in the window and a line out the door. It looked like it had been ransacked by gluten vampires or something, there weren't many options and another line of people waiting for the next batch to come out. I got lucky because within the hour everything was gone.

We usually skipped American food for Icelandic if possible. Breakfast was usually bread, cheese and some meat. Maybe an egg and skyr. They don't understand omelets. It also takes a lot of effort to find anything before about 1100.

I am so ready to go home to not 32F with the most vicious wind I've ever experienced. Even AK in the winter didn't feel as cold.

Any details on the location of this bakery?

My friends are insisting on visiting Eirikstaddir the Living History museum south of Bardardarlur. Is there anything worth seeing between there and Reykjavík? It's a 2 hour drive so I hope to see more than a sod hut and a guy in a tunic.

E: Also any Solstice stuff (other than the huge music festival) that might be worth doing?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

binjamyin posted:

are the local breweries any good/worth checking out?

Seconding this, plus were is it best to buy booze generally? We are planning on duty free for most stuff but I hear it's not easy or cheap to buy drinks in Iceland.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Does anyone have opinions on the Viking Festival June 16- 19?

Does it really start at 1pm? That seems late to me.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

What booze should I grab at the duty free?

I want to avoid the licorice flavored stuff and no Brennivín or Akvavit please. :barf:

E: OK after a little more research maybe Brennivín.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I am on a quest for some really good salted licorice, I'm in Reykjavik, any suggestions?

• Locked thread