Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I used my AMEX to book hotels, other than that it's not really accepted outside of high end restaurants and retail. You'll need a Visa or MC if you plan on relying on credit card for everyday expense.

March is a bit of an awkward month because it's still early for the tourist season. It's still quite cold and it'll be cloudy most days. Expect snow. Jokulsarlon ice lagoon is A++ but they don't open for tours until May typically because of the ice pack. With that said I would still go if you're into photography and that area is pretty picturesque in general.

Other than that I need a better idea of your interests. Are you staying only in Reykjavik or are you traveling around? Do you have a car? What's your budget? Etc.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Well, the thing is that Reykjavik is a solid rear end drive from a lot of the cooler stuff (for reference it's a 4 1/2-5 hour drive to Jokulsarlon). Sure you can do a bus tour of the golden circle, but you're just going through the paces with a bunch of other people. If you want to linger at a particular spot, oh well sorry the tour is continuing.

If you're locked into Reykjavik I would at least rent a car for a couple days. Golden Circle I would do on my own and I would also try to hit Thingvellir. Especially if you're looking to do some hiking. Another thing you can look into would be a glacier tour where you throw on some cramp-on's and get guided up a glacier. There's a ton of tour operators, pretty sure a few of them will do pickups from Reykjavik. Again, not sure if they're running yet because it's still early in the season, but most of them have an online presence so you can look them up.

The Blue Lagoon is a touristy spa/lagoon, but I think it's worth it. Lounge around all day in the hot springs, drink a few beers, it's a pretty relaxing experience. Also there's plenty of buses that run between there and Reykjavik.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

This is the company I used, they were pretty good. They also do jeep tours/snowmobiling if that's more your speed.

Driving will be fine provided you have an AWD/4WD vehicle. Its one main road around the entirety of Iceland with small roads breaking off to attractions. Most towns are one main street with a few residentials. Ask for a GPS and you'll be fine. The F roads will be closed, but you probably don't want to mess with those anyway since your rental company will be mad as hell.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 12, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Bring waterproof outer layers, everything else is provided with those tours. Personally I didn't bring snow pants because I thought they were too bulky to lug around. A waterproof pant will do just fine on the glacier walk.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I didn't wear insulated hiking boots, just make sure they're waterproof and you should be fine.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Seriously, I can't recommend Jokulsarlon, Thingvellir, and Skaftafell enough. Grab a car at KEF and drive east. Reykjavik is interesting for two days tops.

June will be a good time to go but expect tourist hordes around the golden circle (Geysir, Gulfoss, Kerio, Strokkur).

It'll be day light late into the evening which takes some getting used to, but every hotel I was in had blackout shades. Load up on breakfast as it's probably going to be your most filling meal of the day.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Trip Advisor is a really great resource around Iceland, especially for finding some out of the way places. There's quite a few waterfalls that are absolutely gorgeous but there's no advertisement or indication that they're there, just a dirt road and a small lot.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

HookShot posted:

If you like birds and are going when the puffins are there you absolutely need to do the detour to Latrabjarg.

We had hundreds of puffins essentially all to ourselves, there were like two other people that showed up in the eight hours or so that we just sat by the cliffs hanging out with birbs. It's basically like this up the whole side of the cliff face, and they let you get to within about 10 feet of them if you're nice about it.

Puffins by Hannah, on Flickr

Dyrhólaey in the south is the same way, Puffins everywhere in the summer.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah the lamb stew is incredibly good. There's a big rest stop/store/hotel by Geysir with a cafeteria type in it, I remember it being really good.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The gas station in Vik makes incredible hamburgers too, though that could also be because we were exhausted from a day of hiking.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lightpole I meant to ask if you found the hot dog hut near the port. I forgot to mention it when you were asking questions but the hot dogs are ridiculous. They were in a red hut named Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hey to each their own, it's just a hot dog after all. I just found them to be enjoyable and a cheap lunch in an expensive city. :shrug:

We always did breakfast at our hotel or BnB, but yeah most poo poo doesn't open early and it closes early. Good luck finding an open grocery store after 6 that isn't a gas station.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

There was a sick coffee shop down by the water in this little shopping district, I'd have to look at a map to remember the name. Had phenomenal coffee and cake.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Driving through the center is going to require a 4x4 and a rental company that isn't opposed to you going on the F roads. It's all mountainous dirt roads.

A 4x4 isn't really necessary if you're going during the summer, the main road is well maintained. In the fall/winter I would say it's encouraged just given the likelihood of snowy roads. The F roads aren't open in the winter.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah the roads each company will be ok with you traveling on varies company to company. Some will tell you not at all, others will require you buy additional insurance, and others will limit you to certain roads. I never got out there, the roads were still closed when I went, but from what I've read and heard its absolutely beautiful and the driving is a lot of fun if you're into off roading.

Most of the good stuff is accessible from the main road so you're not necessarily missing anything by not doing it. But if you have the opportunity I'd certainly consider it just for the sake of having done it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If you're coming in on a red eye the Blue Lagoon is a good first stop. Think they open at 9 or 10, something like that. Good place to recharge after a flight before you head off to where you're going.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I got a speed camera ticket in the tunnel driving to Borgarnes :henget:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any details on the location of this bakery?

My friends are insisting on visiting Eirikstaddir the Living History museum south of Bardardarlur. Is there anything worth seeing between there and Reykjavík? It's a 2 hour drive so I hope to see more than a sod hut and a guy in a tunic.

E: Also any Solstice stuff (other than the huge music festival) that might be worth doing?

Stop in Borgarnes and have lunch at the Settlement Center. It's a little museum for Icelandic history but the restaurant is exceptional for the price. You can also detour out to Reykholt and see the Fljotstunga Travel Farm, they do tours of nearby lava caves that were pretty interesting to see and explore. Along the same route to Reykholt you can also stop at Barnafoss which is a smallish park off the beaten path, but I thought it was really neat. Its mainly just a river flowing through the lava field, but the water has worked its way through so its pouring down the sides of the rock face on both sides. Makes for a nice 30-45 minute walk.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

You're going during peak tourism season and the southern coast is extremely popular. To compound this there's generally only one or two hotels per "town" and a couple tour buses could quickly put them at capacity. Personally I wouldn't risk it, hop on tripadvisor and find one that looks good and get it reserved.

Additionally if you plan on relying on hotel breakfast to load up (which were quite good in my experience) get there early. Once the Chinese tour groups wake up its chaos.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 9, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah you're doing yourself a disservice avoiding Icelandic food. The soups are fantastic and you're not going to find fresher seafood or lamb. There are some absolutely fantastic restaurants in Reykjavik, but they can be pricey. Don't eat whale meat, it's 100% a tourist thing.

Grocery stores are few and far between once you get outside of Reykjavik.

There's a Bonus (budget range grocery store) in Hveragerdi attached to a small shopping mall. There's a really nice bakery/coffee shop in the mall.

Selfoss has a Krónan which is another budget store, but a bigger selection than the Bonus.

I think there might be a small grocery store in Hella. But beyond that you're reduced to gas stations. There's a small pharmacy in Vik that's attached to a doctors office in case you need medical supplies (I rolled my ankle on a hike and needed an ace wrap).
--

As far as hotels you're going to be quite limited. Outside of Reykjavik there's not a lot of infrastructure in place to support tourists, hence you'll see a ton of bus tours that are based out of Reykjavik. Hveragerdi, Selfoss, Vik, and Höfn are about it for southern towns that have hotels and "restaurants." I put it in quotes because you're likely to be eating at gas stations or pub type places. There are guest houses/bed and breakfast type spots but we didn't go that route. You might jam yourself up trying to go day to day with hotels because as I mentioned tours get booked ahead of time and they can quickly fill up a hotel. It might be best to pick out areas you want to see and set up in one of the towns I mentioned as your camp for exploring.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 10, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

You can do the Golden Circle in one day frankly. Give yourself the morning at Thingvellir and the afternoon you knock out the rest. They're all pretty close to each other and a lot of it is "show up, enjoy scenery, take photos, leave" type stuff. Unless you really want to wander around the waterfalls or snap photos of the geysers. Though if you wanted to be conservative I'd give Thingvellir a full day of hiking and do the rest of the circle on a second day.

Blue lagoon you need to make a reservation unless you want to stand in line. Get the cheap plan (I got the one with the locker and slippers, still use their flip flops to this day).

I would also strongly encourage signing up for a guided glacier tour if you want to do a glacier walk/hike. Please don't walk out onto the glaciers by yourself, you really need the crampons, ice pick, and guide. There are sections that will look safe to walk but a good smack with your pick will cause the ice to give way to the slushy river running underneath it.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 10, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Woof. Short itinerary. Yeah don't stay in Retkjavik, you can do that on your last afternoon/night. Get out to the Golden Circle for your first full day (Tuesday) and then I'd say head out to Jokulsarlon and Skaftafell for that second full day. It'll be a bit rushed but it gives you a taste of a bit of everything.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah the majority of inbound US flights come in on a red eye. It's pretty miserable so I kind of punted on that day when you mentioned it. We just spent the day at the lagoon and relaxed before driving out to the hotel.

Silfra is doable, but yea definitely a big time commitment. Your wife could wander around Thingvellir while you're diving though, plenty of space to wander and take photos or just enjoy the landscape.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It's a solid itinerary, if anything day 2 is a bit light on stuff to do. Geysir and Kerio definitely aren't full day experiences. Geysir is a good late morning stop/lunch spot, the cafeteria there has pretty good soups and breads. Kerio is pretty and it's cool to walk to the bottom of the crater, we had it to ourselves when we went. As opposed to the other parks, Kerio is private property and you'll pay a small entrance fee so have ISK on you.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Westman Island is fantastic and definitely worth a day trip. We caught the morning ferry, spent the day on the island, and caught the last ferry back. Don't bring your car, wear comfortable shoes and just walk. It's a great little town and hiking up the volcano is definitely worth it. You can also hike around the golf course if you're into birding, you'll find Puffins up in the cliffs.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

And you're doing that in 10 days? Man that is a TON of driving. My wife and I did Snaefellsnes to Jokulsarlon over 9 days and even that felt rushed at times.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, Westman Island.

Basically any tour you could want to do can be booked out of Reykjavik, you'll just get to see more of the countryside via car and being on your own.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It's doable, you're just going to be doing a bunch of traveling. There's one main road that goes around the entire country so the logistics aren't particularly difficult and aside from Reykjavik, Keflavik, Akureyri most of the towns consist of one main road and some side streets. It's nearly impossible to get lost.

As far as attractions and things to do, we've gone over the southern half of the island pretty extensively so just read back and you can find the information you need. Other than that I'd look at tripadvisor to pick out things to see and do. It's used pretty extensively by tourists to the country and fairly accurate.

Also, September is considered off peak. Once schools are back in session things get a lot less crowded. You should be fine as far as crowds and access to reservations/Airbnb/whatever.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 28, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

God drat that's a ton of driving. On its face your itinerary is doable, but frankly it sounds exhausting. Day 1 is going to be a kick to the balls if you're not rested. The Golden Circle can be pretty busy traffic wise but your flight should arrive early, as most US flights do.

I didn't do any RV'ing in Iceland but my understanding is their rules are fairly lax about just pulling off and setting up camp. All of the big national parks have RV parks and if I remember correctly they didn't charge much for you to stay the night.

As an aside make sure you have 24 hours between your dive and your flight. Getting bent because you flew too soon after you went diving is a very real risk.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah Iceland is bizarro world is start times, especially when it's 24 hours of light.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Something I forgot to mention but if any of you are in a town when there's a pro soccer game going, go. They're cheap and a really fun atmosphere. We went to a game in Vestmannaeyjar and it was like a scaled down premier league atmosphere. The entire town shuts down and everyone files into the stadium.

Saladman is probably out of luck though because they're on a break due to Euro 2016, but there's watch parties in Reykjavik.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Think of it as a living historical experience :eng101:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I feel like CDG is like that too, but that's a massive sprawling airport

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Heh. Icelandair has the Sigur Ros discography as part of their in flight entertainment.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Frankly I'm surprised the cheapest option to Reykjavik wasn't WOW Air or Icelandair. In almost every instance they can undercut their competition pretty noticeably.

With that said, Keflavik is a fine airport until you get to the departing gate. Then it becomes hell on Earth. First and only time I've ever actually taken the time to contact corporate offices and complain about operations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Puffins are pretty hit and miss because they spend a bunch of time out fishing for food. Whale watches are a pretty good opportunity to see them.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah I would love to be in Reykjavik right now for the Euro. It was probably pandemonium yesterday after the win against England.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah the waiting areas near the gates are awful. You're almost better off backtracking to the food court area and hanging out there until it comes time to be by the gate.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah Reykjavik is pretty boring unless you're going to one of the festivals/concerts that take place. There's not a lot of big tourist attractions, museums, etc like you'd see in London or Paris. It's a mostly nondescript European city.

All of the fun activities and sightseeing are well away from the city. Golden Circle is a great way to dip your toe into Iceland if you've got limited time, but you need a full day to get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

About souvenirs, be careful to actually buy stuff made in Iceland. There's some clothing manufacturers that try to market themselves as Icelandic when the wool is coming from somewhere else. Alafoss, Vik Wool, or the Handknitting Association of Iceland are a few that come to mind for authentic in-country products that are good quality and support the local economy.

• Locked thread