Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've got a sweater and hat from Vik Wool and they're comfortable as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Westman Islands is good for a day, maybe two days. The main island is very small and easily walkable. The ferry leaves from Landeyjahöfn and takes ~45 minutes or so depending on weather. If you're going without your car it's ~$10 round trip. No reason to bring your car unless you or someone with you has mobility issues.

If you google Einskip you'll get the info you need about times, reservations, etc.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 8, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah I definitely would have stayed closer to the circle if you want to do stuff along the southern coast, that's a decent round trip drive to do in a day. Ah well, still manageable.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I used Sixt and they were great. No issues with them trying to hustle me over gravel damage. Just take the same precautions you would with any rental car company (document damage with employee before leaving, etc).

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Go to Vestmannaeyjar. The ferry is cheap, fast, and runs throughout the day. Eldfell is a great hike and gives you a great overall view of the surrounding area. The golf course is accessible to the public and the cart trail provides a good opportunity to look for seabirds (puffins) up in the cliffs.

Slippurinn is one of the restaurants in the town and I thought it was one of the best meals we had while we were in Iceland. Refrain from the whale meat though, it's not a "local" dish and the majority of it is consumed by tourists that don't know better.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

transient posted:

Back in 2013, the largest concentration of puffins we saw the whole trip was an Heimaklettur down at the harbor. According to this site (http://www.summitpost.org/heimaklettur-home-rock/855652) the Westmans account for 20% of the world's puffin population.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea people climbed up there.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

NigelsPoppet posted:

Hey All,

Company is tossing me on a last minute flight to go to Iceland tomorrow night. I'll be there from Friday Morning Until Monday Morning, the only thing I really know about in Iceland is puffins and the Blue Lagoon.

Blue lagoon appears to be booked full for this late of notice, any other similar hot springs to check out in the Reyjavik area? I'm most likely going to rent a car and have some good points taken from this thread, I've heard theres a crashed C-30 plane somewhere nearby.

Anyone can point me in the direction, as well as where I can see some puffins

Just looked at the blue lagoon website. Interesting that they're building a lux hotel there, surprised it took this long. There's a few openings in the evening but I can totally understand not wanting to go that late when it's starting to get into the dark months (though sun doesn't generally set until 8ish this time of year).

Blue Lagoon is, as far as I'm aware, the end all and be all for hydrothermal spa experiences. However there's a ton of thermal pools if you just want to sit in naturally warm water and relax in nature. My favorite one is probably Seljavallalaug. It's not far off of the main road and the scenery is gorgeous. It'll take a couple hours to get there but it's worth it in my opinion just to get out there as you get to see some of the dramatic landscapes the country is known for.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah puffins are tough because they spend a lot of time at sea, or hiding in cliff faces. Westman Islands is probably your best bet, though we didn't see any there, and can be done in a day trip.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Laundromat is fine, it's a cafe. Very busy though. Grillmarkadurinn and Fiskmarkadurinn are both fantastic restaurants in Reykjavik, but be prepared to spend money in both.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Not doing Silfra is my #1 regret about my time in Iceland. Oh well, gives me reason to go back.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Gin and Juche posted:

I already booked my trip and included a trip to the lagoon so hearing all this is kinda disappointing, although I came for the music festival anyway. Unfortunately it doesn't leave any time for taking a car around the country.

The lagoon is great, just go there and relax for half a day or whatever.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm getting married June and was thinking of taking a mini-honeymoon with my wife to Iceland (taking a proper one in November), flying out from the UK in the afternoon on Sunday and returning Wednesday afternoon. I imagine we'd stay in Reykjavik and rent a car, so would Golden Circle on Monday and some of the south coast on Tuesday be doable? Not bothered about the Blue Lagoon, so we'd need to find something else to do Monday afternoon and Wednesday morning. We'll be too early for the solstice but the midnight sun will be interesting.

Fly in Sunday and putz around Reykjavik, Golden Circle Monday, stay in Hveragerdi on Monday night, Vestmannaeyjar island and some waterfalls Tuesday, fly out Wednesday.

You're welcome.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If you want a nice honeymoon dinner take your new wife to Fiskmarkadurinn in Reykjavik. It's right in the middle of downtown and the food is out of this world. A little pricey and you'll need to arrange a reservation, but so worth it.

Grillmarkadurinn is also highly recommended if you prefer a beef oriented menu.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Any recommendations for glacier walks/tours?

How advanced are you trying to do? They've got everything from literally taking a walk on a glacier to no poo poo mountaineering with crampons and ice picks.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

It's dark and you will find fewer tourism options as far as tour groups go since it'll be the low season. Roads will be fine provided you use common sense and stick to the ring road. F-Roads will be closed so no driving into the glaciers.

John Cenas Jorts posted:

I'd say medium-low probably? We're down with hiking at steep mountain grades, but I've never been on a glacier so idk how well that translates to ice. Like, I figure it's a once in a lifetime type thing but any of that vertical climbing/ice axe poo poo would give me a panic attack.

Sorry about delay, my wife and I used Arcanum for our glacier walk. We liked it and the prices were reasonable. You can find them at https://www.arcanum.is

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 7, 2017

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

There's a lot of driving in that itinerary, particularly that Lake Myvatn to Hofn leg. Is there something in particular you're looking to see in the north?

Vik would make a better stopping point than Kirkjubæjarklaustur and has easier access to the southern destinations. Also, Vik Wool.

Blue Lagoon isn't worth devoting an entire day to unless that's something you're really into. After 3-4 hours you start to get bored and the novelty wears off.

Quite a few of us have done itineraries focused solely on southern Iceland so it might be beneficial for you to jump back into the beginning of this thread and read through that for ideas on how to tidy up the second half of that trip.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Myvatn to Hofn is a nearly five hour drive on its own, that's why it raised my eyebrows.

Also wait, holy poo poo. You're DRIVING to Snaefellsnes and then to Akureyri? Nope, nope, nope. Snaefellsnes can be a multi day destination for hiking and sightseeing alone. Please don't do this unless you want to live in a car

If you want to do a quick run through the north to do Lake Myvatn, see northern lights, etc, that's fine. I didn't see the beginning of your trip, I thought it had you flying to Akureyri from Keflavik and then starting, which is something a lot of people do.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 18, 2017

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

germskr posted:

Super useful information in here, thanks!

I'll be headed to Iceland for 10 days in the middle of May and it just so happens that my travel buddy's birthday will be in Iceland. Looking for recommendations for a good-to-excellent seafood restaurant in or close to Selfoss. The actual day of birthday we'll be driving out to the Golden Circle from Selfoss so Reykjavik won't be too far, and I don't mind the drive if the food is fresh and tasty. Price point doesn't really matter because how often do you get to celebrate someone's birthday in Iceland? (yeah, yeah- locals, people who go for birthdays, etc.)

Drive back to Reykjavik and go to Fiskmarkaðurinn. Get a reservation.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

germskr posted:

Menu looks diverse, is it worth it? We'll be coming from Oxara after bumming around Thingvellir (with a snorkel excursion in Silfra) earlier in the day, and still have to drive back to Selfoss where lodging is. I guess if I'm driving though, passenger can't really complain about the added drive time.

Yes. It's an extremely good restaurant, probably my favorite in Reykjavik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Saladman posted:

Yea. Easily to Vik and covering everything inbetween. If you super love driving you could go to Snaefellsnes -or- Jokulsarlon but I'd recommend just the Reykjavik golden circle vik route in your timing. All the F roads will still be closed so just get the cheapest rental car you can, no need at all for a 4x4.

Google driving times were, IME, maybe 10-20% slower than we actually drove. But that's if you drive without stopping, and one of the joys of self driving is so you can stop and go "wow" every now and then.

With four days Skatafell and Jokulsarlon are definitely doable, and worthwhile, just gotta be prepared for that drive. Staying in Selfoss, Hella, or Vik for the night would cut down on travel.

• Locked thread