Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

Call the rental desk where you are picking up in Iceland and ask them. My non-4x4 contract was no F roads at all; I've heard the same for some 4x4 rentals.

Yeah, almost all / all non-4x4 rentals are no F roads. OTOH if your rental agency for a 4x4 doesn't allow any F roads, then it's an abysmal rental agency that you should avoid. I've heard a few other roads (e.g. to Askja) are sometimes forbidden, but I never actually came across that when I checked like 10 different agencies—they all just banned F249 and nothing but F249.

I went with Blue / Reykjavik Cars (the same company as far as I can tell? they have the same office, at least) and rented a manual 4x4 Dacia Duster, which was a great car and was less than 1/2 the price of renting the same thing with Hertz / Avis / MajorInternationalCarrier for the same period.

E: But yeah, of course look through the fine print of your agency. If you do a search for "F249" or "F 249" you'll probably find the section where they talk about which roads are forbidden.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Ideas for four/five people with 3 nights on the south coast in August? Bonus would be some F roads for 4x4. I'm thinking golden circle one day, Reykjavik another. Travelling with family and one of us cant walk very well so hiking long distances could be out of the question.

If you go as far as Jokulsarlon, the F985 is a fun drive to the top of the glacier. Takes about an hour each way and it goes actually to the top of the glacier. Dirt road but it's an easy drive. I'm not sure i'd recommend it if it's cloudy, but it goes a drat long way upThere's a little hut you can stop and get coffee at, and if you want you can continue on a guided tour by superjeep.

• Locked thread