Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Þetta er fyndinn þráður

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Camping at Landmannalaugar is fine but the place floods sometimes and you miss out on the big hike (i.e. Landmannalaugur -> Þórsmörk -> Seljalandsfoss/Skógar) which is pretty baller. Not seeing Þórsmörk while going through the South is a mite sad, though I guess to outlanders trees and green aren't that interestin'

To do that, btw, you can park your car at either Skógar (this has more hassles and less options) or more ideally in Hella (Hvolsvöllur can work as well but why would you do that?)

The trails are super well marked and even amateur hikers can do them. Practically no-one dies there, it's great.

Saladman posted:

I recommend actually going to as many sites as possible on weird hours. For the Golden Circle it won't really matter, but places like Dettifoss, Gjain, Landmannalaugar, etc, it's way cooler if you're only one of a handful of people in the area. Everything on the south coast will be crowded even at midnight, but the rest of the spots really empty out outside the 11am--4pm times. I think all my favorite spots were the ones we hit at weird hours where almost no one else was there.
lol yea, all services are Icelander centric so nothing will be open but you'll have perfect lighting and the places to yourself pretty much

If you go for this option, be prepared to only get at most 2 hot decent meals you don't make yourself tho (although you should ideally not be eating out that much in Iceland if you don't want to go bankrupt)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, most English language menus skip them, same as with whale. If you ask your waiter you can often request it.

The hotdogs are just high quality American style dogs. If you've never had that I suppose it would be interesting

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You'd probs have to walk to the Hydroplant and then probably hitchhike from there yea

It wouldn't be that complicated I suppose, so long as you roughly managed to follow the road and didn't pick the wrong one and taking one left then going forward for 4 or so hours ain't that complex really

(do not do this if you have any respect for your time)

• Locked thread