Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best thing about my trip to Iceland back in 2006 was that we arrived from a harbor in the eastern fjord area, rather than Reykjavik, since we took a ferry from Denmark. Reykjavik really is in the most boring area of the country and the parts you really want to see are mostly in the east.

The closest really cool stuff to Reykjavik are the snaefellsnes peninsula and that other big peninsula in the northwest that I've forgotten the name of.

Really the best way to go to Iceland is to do a big ring road tour by car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All the food is really fresh and nice and you should try it. My worst dish there was actually some kind of crab spaghetti in a fancy place in Reykjavik. Most of the rest stops along the road had better plain dishes made with fresh ingredients.

When I went there, I actually stayed in schools that were closed and converted into hotels for the summer. It wasn't extremely comfortable but fine for me and usually they were in some convenient location. It let me visit villages where there were no ordinary hotels.

My favorite place was Husavik, I saw a blue whale and the town has a nice seaside atmosphere, it's also close to Myvatn, Dimmuborgir and the weird desert area next to Myvatn.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 10, 2016

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's cute to watch puffins take off. They're basically balls of lard with wings so it takes them a really long time to gain height and speed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I really liked the dried fish you could buy in any supermarket. Great with beer.

• Locked thread