Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snorri
Apr 23, 2002
The puffins are nearly 100% gone by the 3rd week of August. We went last month for 8 days and they were all gone. However, we did catch the beginning of the Northern Lights, and it was awesome (all of our first time seeing them). We saw them on the plane coming in, while walking back to our AirBnB in Akureyri, and then making a trip out to Kirkjufell at midnight one night.

Two of our group went a week early to hike and they were able to get a table at Grill Market in Reykjavick, and we never heard the end of how awesome it was. So if you can make a reservation there, do it! Our last night in Iceland we ate at The Gallery in the Hotel Holt, and it was very good. We were all dressed like homeless people in comparison to everyone else, but they still treated us extremely well. Our first full day in Reykjavick we couldn't get in the Laundromat for lunch so stopped in the Cafe Paris. AVOID AVOID AVOID. Just bad and horrific service for $40USD+.

If you are going to be in Akureyri, you have to have a meal at Rub23, it was the best meal I have had in my entire life.

Blue Lagoon is pretty lame and personally I would skip if you are short on time. I mean, I guess I am glad we did it just to say we did, but that is the only reason. Stopping at random waterfalls and other natural wonders is far greater than Blue Lagoon in my opinion.

We did 2 nights in Reykjavick (only so long so we could do Golden Circle and have a place to crash before...), ring road staying 1 night in Vik, 1 night in Hofn, 2 nights in Akureyri, 1 night in Stikkysholmer, and then 1 more night in Reykjavick on our trip. We busted our asses getting around, but stopped at everything and had an AWESOME time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Laundromat is fine, it's a cafe. Very busy though. Grillmarkadurinn and Fiskmarkadurinn are both fantastic restaurants in Reykjavik, but be prepared to spend money in both.

I didn't spend less than $60 at any meal, Grill Market and Fish Market are between $60 and $100. Any good meal is $60-$110 in Iceland. We mostly just cheap'ed out for breakfast and lunch and grabbed premade sandwiches from the gas stations or bought lunch meat from the Drunk Pig (Bonus). I mean even the lunch meats were ludicrously expensive making your own sandwiches, so really gas stations are your best bet if you are trying to save money.

Oh, and I loved the hot dogs. Around $3-$4 and I could eat those suckers all day. I think I was the only one in our group with that opinion however, haha.

• Locked thread