Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I'll probably be lurking in this thread for a bit - I bought tickets for Iceland in late September! It's going to be a relatively quick trip (landing early Monday morning, leaving Thursday Afternoon), but it sounds like the best thing to do is just rent a car and plan it so we aren't just doing day trips from Reykjavik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Woof. Short itinerary. Yeah don't stay in Retkjavik, you can do that on your last afternoon/night. Get out to the Golden Circle for your first full day (Tuesday) and then I'd say head out to Jokulsarlon and Skaftafell for that second full day. It'll be a bit rushed but it gives you a taste of a bit of everything.

Thanks! It gets even trickier when I throw in that I'd ideally like to try to dive Silfra, which is ~7 hours. But in the name of maximizing the experience (and for my wife who ISN'T a diver) I'll probably be skipping that. And when I say 'landing monday morning' I mean at like, 7 AM, so I think with getting everything settled with a car, we'd still have a decent amount of time to start the trip.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Woof. Short itinerary. Yeah don't stay in Retkjavik, you can do that on your last afternoon/night. Get out to the Golden Circle for your first full day (Tuesday) and then I'd say head out to Jokulsarlon and Skaftafell for that second full day. It'll be a bit rushed but it gives you a taste of a bit of everything.

This one goes waaaaay back, but I wanted to give a trip report (we went back at the end of September, but hadn't though to post here)

It was amazing, and somehow the schedule wasn't rushed!

Day One: Landed, Blue Lagoon, wandering around Reykjavik - saw the church, but otherwise was just walking around going into stores (no museums etc)

Day Two: Scuba diving Silfra, followed by Horseback riding outside of Reykjavik; then did the Golden Circle, and drove to Vik where our Airbnb was. :siren: SAW THE NORTHERN LIGHTS :siren:

Day Three: Lots of things around Vik - the black sand beaches, Vik itself, various waterfalls, various museums, various random stops on the side of the road to see churches and pretty buildings :siren: SAW NORTHERN LIGHTS BUT THE AIRBNB'S NEIGHBOR'S DOG KEPT HUMPING OUR LEGS FORCEFULLY WHEN WE WERE OUTSIDE SO WE HAD TO WATCH THEM FROM INSIDE :siren:

Day Four: Went to the "Secret Pool" near Vik which was amazing; drove back to the airport, and stopped by the giant Crater place on its way.

We actually could have done more stuff on Day three, but we didn't want to try to push it going too far East. Overall, god drat it was a wonderful time and I need to move to Iceland somehow

• Locked thread