Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JasonDouglasBerry
Oct 24, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any advice for someone that will be in Reykjavik in mid-June?

I'm looking for high cool factor. I don't want to fly there to shop or see some mundane bullshit.

Driving is fine, costs aren't a huge deal but I don't want to go home broke.

I spent about 12 days in Iceland last September and had a blast. We used the South Circle Passport bus pass (approx $165 USD) with Reykjavik Excursions and it worked out really well because it took us to all of the places we wanted to see in the southern portion of the island. We spent 3 days camping in Skaftafell which has a super high cool factor. You can set up a tent in the campgrounds there and take one day to hike to the summit of Kristínartindar Mountain where you have awesome views of two separate valleys with glaciers pouring in. You can also take a day to go ice climbing in Skaftafell - which is super rad. On the bus ride up, you stop at neat landmarks along the way.

I'm not a huge fan of having to drive in foreign countries for multiple reasons, so I didn't mind the bus experience at all. I'm also all about travelling frugally - being able to camp helps.

If you like hiking/backpacking, hike the Landmannalauger trail, or if your short on time, just the Fimmvorduhols trek.

Also, in going along with the advice of others, buy all of your booze at the Duty Free shop in the airport. Not only is it expensive to buy alcohol in Iceland, but the liquor laws are pretty strict and many of the stores have limited hours.

Hope this helps.

Happy Travels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread