Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you like birds and are going when the puffins are there you absolutely need to do the detour to Latrabjarg.

We had hundreds of puffins essentially all to ourselves, there were like two other people that showed up in the eight hours or so that we just sat by the cliffs hanging out with birbs. It's basically like this up the whole side of the cliff face, and they let you get to within about 10 feet of them if you're nice about it.

Puffins by Hannah, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The gas station across from the hotel at Skaftafell makes the best hamburgers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those hot dogs were the most overrated food I have ever eaten.

Like they're not bad but there's nothing special about them at all.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the price definitely couldn't be beat, and they were a decent lunch.

It was just that I had like 50 different people go OH MY GOD THEYRE THE BEST HOT DOG EVER THEY WILL RUIN YOU FOR EVERY SINGLE OTHER HOT DOG FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE and then I had one and I was like ??????

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's also the odd memorial plate around for people who decided to head out onto the glacier on their own and never made it back.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And obviously you would be aware of this but you would want to do your dive preferably Monday but no later than Tuesday if you're flying mid-day Thursday.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Wow that's got to be a semi-recent change, when I went to Kerid less than 4 years ago there was no entrance fee at all.

But yeah, your day 2 and probably also day 1 really are a little light on things to do. Selfoss is cool but really just an hour or so tops to look at the waterfall, Thingvellir you can wander around for a few hours, but unless you have specific hikes in mind or you want to do the snorkelling and stuff there you'll probably be done in 3-4 hours. I'd bring a picnic lunch to Thingvellir if it's nice weather though, it's hella cool scenery to eat a sandwich to.

And yeah, Geysir and Kerid are like a couple hours each tops. Tour groups usually spend <15 minutes at Geysir, to give you an idea of how short a trip it can be.

If you like nature, you 100% need to go to the Latrabjarg peninsula instead of driving around the ring road to see the puffins (and other sea birds).

Honestly I'd almost recommend that anyway, like of your nine days you're going to be spending three full days basically just driving, and then you have driving in pretty much every other day as well. Like, Iceland is probably the nicest country to just drive around in if you had to do that, but I would recommend maybe going so far as Jokulsarlon, and then heading back to Reykjavik and going north to get to Snaefellsjokul, and then going up to Latrabjarg instead of doing the ring road in nine days.

Obviously if you absolutely wanted to spend a day in Myvatn for whatever reason then sure, but your itinerary kind of reads like you're trying to do the ring road just for the sake of being able to say you went around the whole country, when I think you'd probably enjoy yourself more if you spent more time in fewer places.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cool, your new plan sounds good.

I haven't been to Westman Island, full disclosure. But I have been to Latrabjarg, and if you like birds, especially puffins, I cannot overemphasize how much you absolutely need to go there. I've heard from a few Icelanders who told me you see both a greater number and are also much closer to the puffins.

To give you an idea, here are some photos I took:

150mm:

130mm:

200mm:

At Latrabjarg you can literally get to within 20 feet of literally hundreds of puffins. We hung out there for like six hours just watching them fly around and wander around and fight each other and fall off the cliffs. Plus a little ways away were a TON of different gulls flying around in the edge of the cliffs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

It's cute to watch puffins take off. They're basically balls of lard with wings so it takes them a really long time to gain height and speed.

Yeah, it is.

The best is when they go to land on a thin strip of land and mis-judge the landing, then fall off the cliff and have to fly back up and try again :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, we had 11 days and went south to Jokulsarlon then north to Latrabjarg and I wouldn't have really liked to do much more driving than that in the same time period.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's daylight pretty much 24 hours of the day which means everyone starts pre-drinking at like 11pm, a 1pm start time is totally normal.

Also that sounds loving dope, absolutely go, and do the archery and axe throwing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Tegel is fine, you just kind of feel like you just stepped into the middle of WWII when you're there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
CDG is easily in the top 3 worst airports known to man but at least Tegel is like 1/1000th of the size.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I also used Sixt without a problem.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Latrabjarg is the best puffin place, but it's definitely not day-trip territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Also Icelandic hot dogs are just American hotdogs in American hotdog buns. I have no idea wtf everyone is talking about when they rave about Icelandic hotdogs, but I can only assume it's some groupthink/emperor's new clothes style thing. In any case, you will certainly eat a few hotdogs since they're sold at every gas station. There's a super hipster hotdog place in Reykjavik, Baejarins Beztu Pylsur, that we didn't go to since it had a massive line, but maybe if we had waited 20 minutes in the rain I would have been wowed.
As someone who went there, no, you wouldn't have been wowed at all.

They really just tasted like any other american hot dog. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

• Locked thread