Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand. The Download site was too lazy to type the whole title in, and Google Search wasn't a thing yet :D

11/16/1997.

The key here folks is to look at the MODIFIED date, not the date created. That will be maintained even over multiple transfers :D

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

That Robot posted:

does it still play just the same? a 19 year old MP3 lol

Hey honey, why don't you come over for Netflix and chill and we can find out

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe

EX250 Type R posted:

That is pretty crazy old though because according to google

In 1997, Microsoft incorporated MP3 support into its Windows Media Player, and in 1998 the first portable MP3 players began appearing. Brandenburg recalls showing an early Korean-made MP3 device to acquaintances. Even people who weren't gadget freaks were fascinated.Mar 5, 2007

Was using Winamp like any l337 hax0r. gently caress waiting for Windows to support things! But my sister got a Rio 300 the following winter, so I wasn't the only l337 family member!

I was just looking for something to do in the dead of Winter, with a new empty 6GB hard drive, and a school T1 line :D

I remember being fairly pissed at the piss-poor selection on most FTP sites, and the stupid ratios enforced.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 12, 2016

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ posted:

To those who still actually have their first mp3 on hand, what bitrate is it encoded at and how does it sound compared to a modern rip?

128kbps, surprisingly enough. It tended to be the older files that people had encoded at 96k, newer singles were mostly 128.

The quality is good, but then this is a pure pop song with emphasis on bass and vocals. The synth percussion make it easier to encode as well.

Compared to the most modern version on Youtube, the bass track is muddy, the bells are a little less noticeable, and the reverb added to the vocal track is lacking. But otherwise the track sounds almost the same, which is exactly what mp3 excelled at! No audible artifacts either, but then this song was easy to encode.

I'm pretty sure all my old rock tracks with lots of different instruments will sound like hot garbage, but this one is a stand-out :D

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 12, 2016

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yup, the fourth track there is Sponge - Have You Seen Mary . It's 112kbps, and you can really tell :(

The song has a strong bass track, and the ending features powerful percussion.

At the beginning the bass track is empty in the mp3 version, and the vocals are missing something too. And after the track turns hard and the percussion enters, it's just a wall of deformed noise. You can't really make out the individual drums doing their thing like you can on the Vevo stream.

I'm pretty sure it still would sound bad at 128k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe

For repetitive songs (beats), it just makes you hear the repetitious parts over and over, because that's where the vast majority of the random path breaks are, and they usually loop back on themselves.

For standard pop songs with too much variation this just jumps from one refrain to another. So boring.

And it doesn't work very well with heavily instrumented songs.

• Locked thread