Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure there's at least a few files on there from 2000 but I don't know which ones they are any more and I'm sure that info hasn't been stored by my shitbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was just wondering why Blumchen was in your old collection, too...then I thought about how the .MP3 was created in Germany and suddenly it started to make more sense.

"Kleiner Satelit" was the song my friend was trying to find to download when he got me "Bicycle Race" instead. The things we remember about computing ~19 years ago.

Why did burned .MP3s in the 1990s have those weird pops and things in them? Was it the software or the CD-drives? Both? And why was there that one magical program that could get rid of them (usually) without ruining the song? Why? Why, 1990s?

My download of Blood on the Tracks had those blurps through two of the songs and every few years I would redownload it to try to get rid of that poo poo but the files I would find would be clones of the exact same one with the exact same blurps. This situation wasn't fixed until 2016.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the first MP3s I downloaded were off of the college FTP network and chosen based on a road trip tape that my dad made that was mostly electro 80s stuff so maybe it was Mexican Radio or One Night in Bangkok but I only really kept albums eventually so I'm not sure what remains.

The FTP network was good enough that I only got napster after it was already really well known but it was a big step up and I should have done it sooner. I wish it still existed as it was even if that meant that today it was basically a botnet distribution device for Russian credit/identity thieves.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 14, 2016

• Locked thread