Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

They wanted to pad out the meager content they had until it felt like a real game.

But they didn't realise that most people weren't fooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
They didn't even have experience playing the type of game they wanted to make.

So you want a flashy pvp shipbuilding game where you lose ships in an instant? We told them for ages, get your players off the ground:

You don't make gathering basic resources a grueling experience, that's not fun and makes players timid. Give them local banks, increase the gather rates.
You don't make shipbuilding require hours of effort, that's not fun, if its complicated you need to support that with stuff like blueprints.
You don't make ships look like floating garbage, that's not fun, people want to customize their ships.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 30, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I was cool with the difficult and time consuming resource gathering, and even cool with losing ships. I cannot get past there being virtually no compelling gameplay beyond that. PVP is abysmal, no base building, no real objectives.

In my dreamworld, Eve, ArmA and Worlds Adrift are combined.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Hasselblad posted:

I was cool with the difficult and time consuming resource gathering, and even cool with losing ships. I cannot get past there being virtually no compelling gameplay beyond that. PVP is abysmal, no base building, no real objectives.

In my dreamworld, Eve, ArmA and Worlds Adrift are combined.

Have you heard about the great Lord and stimperor savior Chris Roberts?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Permalossable ships should always have the option of being instantly replaceable. Even if I have to pre-emptively make all the replacements. That's why EVE worked. Almost all of the ships were built by players. Yes. But most of the ships players flew weren't built by them.

Atlas is garbo for the same reasons. Actually, now that I think about it. Atlas is basically a less fun Worlds Adrift that makes all the same mistakes but has none of the interesting elements.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I feel like a lot of Atlas problems stemmed from things being "always online" instead of logging off like in Worlds Adrift.

The harbor and castle lag for sure. Dealing with offline raids at ridiculous times of day, and expanding defenses to compensate, and so on

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 21, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing this in really early testing. Having to grapple to get out of the first room was an... interesting tutorial, but wandering around tiny islands that didn't have the resources to make a wooden plank got boring quick. I'm honestly surprised that it went this long, but disappointed too-- player generated islands were a really neat idea.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I am still a little disappointed about this. Such promise physics wise, but is only someone had actual CONTENT vision.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

This thread needs to die.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well reviving the thread by posting in it is the exact opposite of what you should have done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
definitely miss this game. definitely a gem worthy of dying.

posting after me is a sin, gently caress you and gently caress off let this die in solitary, deserves much better than the post after me.