Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Bossa did a reddit ama . Some really exciting stuff:
- They're doing a single server per continent, a la EVE.
- There won't be objectives short of resources being found only in specific areas.
- Ships are fully customizable even down to the shape/symmetry. So yes, dongships/ramhulks will be 100% doable.
- They're selling vanity stuff with microtransactions, but it will be free to play otherwise.
- You'll be able to harpoon other ships and drag them in, but the game actually simulates tension on the ropes with the potential to pull poo poo around.

I think this could be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I think you got your youtube link wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rgQ8MmQ80o

This is the gameplay video. The one OP links to is a 15 second advertisement...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

dylguy90 posted:

Bossa did a reddit ama . Some really exciting stuff:
- They're doing a single server per continent, a la EVE.
- There won't be objectives short of resources being found only in specific areas.
- Ships are fully customizable even down to the shape/symmetry. So yes, dongships/ramhulks will be 100% doable.
- They're selling vanity stuff with microtransactions, but it will be free to play otherwise.
- You'll be able to harpoon other ships and drag them in, but the game actually simulates tension on the ropes with the potential to pull poo poo around.

I think this could be really cool.

that sounds good :unsmith:

i still say.... "we'll see."

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Hey look more games realizing grappling hooks are the greatest thing ever.

Interested by default.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Latest playtest of version 3.5, from about a month ago, with lots of talking about how version 4 is going to be the best thing since sliced butter cause no one is actually working on version 3 anymore.

Beware the game audio is much louder than the stream audio so sometimes can't hear anything they're saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjI8cEQdb5Q

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Also worth mentioning, nerds, is that this game is working with some really cool new tech that (from my super limited understanding) uses "swarms" processors to focus on creating a seamless, highly-scaleable (compared to other mmos), single-server setup that basically runs all the physics and game calculations on the server-side, leaving the player's computer to focus on simply rendering what's already there. It sounds a lot like physics-based EVE Online.

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-probable-future-for-the-mmo-worlds-adrift-and-improbable-tech/

This new tech is really exciting because it's basically debuting for the first time in Worlds Adrift. You can see this in that 45 minute video from December, wherin pieces of the broken up ship were being simulated with a very fine degree of accuracy even while the player was looking at them from like a mile away. Additionally, supposedly nothing despawns, it just kind of hangs around, which is pretty crazy if you consider how much junk players are going to generate.

In that video the devs also mention wanting this game to basically be a huge middle finger to traditional mmos, in that they simply do away with a lot of those traditional systems in favor of giving their crazy powerful physics simulation a starring role. Case in point - you can drop stuff on other players' airships to cause them to fall to the ground, you can grapple onto moving cannonballs to launch yourself, and parts of your ship will physically roll of the side of the islands unless you place them on your ship.

I don't know how successful this game will be, but putting my two cents in now, I think a lot of the design philosophy and execution so far has been really exciting. I can't wait to see where this thing goes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Man I really want this to be good. Still a bit worried that they don't have strong art style going on the ships.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

dylguy90 posted:

This new tech is really exciting because it's basically debuting for the first time in Worlds Adrift. You can see this in that 45 minute video from December, wherin pieces of the broken up ship were being simulated with a very fine degree of accuracy even while the player was looking at them from like a mile away. Additionally, supposedly nothing despawns, it just kind of hangs around, which is pretty crazy if you consider how much junk players are going to generate.

A lot of those things will no doubt drop off the islands following a 1000ft drop, and disintegrate at the bottom of the world, and other pieces may be recycled by other players.

However they've pointed out that they will be deleting islands when they reach a point where they can't sustain any kind of gameplay. Barren islands that have had all trees cut down and stones mined will be recycled and replaced with new islands after a while, so I'm guessing the junk will disappear along with the island.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

is this the new 'power of the cloud'?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Can't tell if this is ironic, but from what I can tell, it pretty much is.

7c Nickel posted:

Man I really want this to be good. Still a bit worried that they don't have strong art style going on the ships.

Agreed, but I think the customization options and general craziness of the gameplay might make up for it. If someone can enjoy Dwarf Fortress for the gameplay, I think Worlds Adrift has a shot.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 28, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

pertinent posted:

A lot of those things will no doubt drop off the islands following a 1000ft drop, and disintegrate at the bottom of the world, and other pieces may be recycled by other players.

However they've pointed out that they will be deleting islands when they reach a point where they can't sustain any kind of gameplay. Barren islands that have had all trees cut down and stones mined will be recycled and replaced with new islands after a while, so I'm guessing the junk will disappear along with the island.

Huh, if islands are constantly sinking and reemerging from Deep Sky it would give a pretty good reason why players stick to their ships instead of building island bases.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Huh, if islands are constantly sinking and reemerging from Deep Sky it would give a pretty good reason why players stick to their ships instead of building island bases.

From what I can tell there's not going to be any supported mechanic for building a base. Basically your ship is your base. There's been speculation on intentionally crashing ships onto islands and using the wreckage as an interim base-type deal, but I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Alternatively there's also been speculation on building a floating city of ships without respawners on them, meaning the ships won't disappear when the crew logs out, but I'm not sure how that's going to work in terms of some random passerby coming along and dropping a respawner to steal the city.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

pertinent posted:

Alternatively there's also been speculation on building a floating city of ships without respawners on them, meaning the ships won't disappear when the crew logs out, but I'm not sure how that's going to work in terms of some random passerby coming along and dropping a respawner to steal the city.

Read the thread again and apparently it's only possible to install a respawner on a ship that is docked to a shipyard, so combined with a locking mechanism for the ship controls, floating base cities could be possible.

Also this is the link to the FAQ

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Looks more like a parallel/distributed model that just happens to make good use of cloud resources. Given that these sorts of models are a tremendous pain in the rear end to design, then if Improbable's framework works, it could make it way easier to design seamless and complex gameworlds.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
or it could be a word salad to say THE CLOUD

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Blazing Zero posted:

this is what i was expressing concern about, i dont actually know anything about computers or how they work though

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'm reading their website right now, and it looks mostly like a way of keeping your server from choking if it gets too big or has too much happen at once. If it works that is.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Happy Sisyphus posted:

this is what i was expressing concern about, i dont actually know anything about computers or how they work though

basically, you write down words like the bolded ones below enough and people give you money. then the benny hill song plays while the you waste all the money on bad decisions and coke. lots of cocaine

dylguy90 posted:

Also worth mentioning, nerds, is that this game is working with some really cool new tech that (from my super limited understanding) uses "swarms" processors to focus on creating a seamless, highly-scaleable (compared to other mmos), single-server setup that basically runs all the physics and game calculations on the server-side, leaving the player's computer to focus on simply rendering what's already there. It sounds a lot like physics-based EVE Online.

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-probable-future-for-the-mmo-worlds-adrift-and-improbable-tech/

In that video the devs also mention wanting this game to basically be a huge middle finger to traditional mmos, in that they simply do away with a lot of those traditional systems in favor of giving their crazy powerful physics simulation a starring role. Case in point - you can drop stuff on other players' airships to cause them to fall to the ground, you can grapple onto moving cannonballs to launch yourself, and parts of your ship will physically roll of the side of the islands unless you place them on your ship.

I don't know how successful this game will be, but putting my two cents in now, I think a lot of the design philosophy and execution so far has been really exciting. I can't wait to see where this thing goes.

i too, cant wait to see where this goes :allears:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

can i get some swarming processors to deliver a highly scaleable goatse.cx platform to my living room wall? itll go well with the rug imo

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
What it means is instead of the traditional approach of having one big server covering a set geographical area or a set number of zones, they build an architecture that allows a pool of CPUs to have individual tasks delegated to them on demand.

The problem with the traditional approach is when you have too many people for a single server to handle, it just ends up making GBS threads itself. For reference, see any MMO ever. With their "cloud approach" however, you can theoretically just up the number of CPUs available in the CPU pool, and the technology behind the game should figure out on its own where those CPUs are in demand, and delegate tasks as needed.

Google's entire search infrastructure is based on an architecture like this, as are many of the biggest web services today, so it's not new technology per se, but it's definitely new in terms of building a game out of it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

but its so quirky and thematic bc sky game tho???

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Must be an absolute bitch to develop for though. I've tried writing bad normal netcode, both peer-to-peer and client-server, and it barely worked half the time. Imagine what kind of magic it takes to make this nonsense actually work at all.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

pertinent posted:

What it means is instead of the traditional approach of having one big server covering a set geographical area or a set number of zones, they build an architecture that allows a pool of CPUs to have individual tasks delegated to them on demand.

The problem with the traditional approach is when you have too many people for a single server to handle, it just ends up making GBS threads itself. For reference, see any MMO ever. With their "cloud approach" however, you can theoretically just up the number of CPUs available in the CPU pool, and the technology behind the game should figure out on its own where those CPUs are in demand, and delegate tasks as needed.

Google's entire search infrastructure is based on an architecture like this, as are many of the biggest web services today, so it's not new technology per se, but it's definitely new in terms of building a game out of it.

i'm getting a boner just thinking about it lets hope it doesn't go bust

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
I would play the poo poo out of this. I'm signing up for the beta as I type this!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU2_cs5Eaww

Looking pretty loving cool.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'll be honest, I don't usually go for the survival crafting type games, but this is looking legit fun.

Also Dongfleet is totally going to be a thing isn't it?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

This game looks way fun. I'm not hugely into crafting sandboxes but I absolutely love physics based movement and exploration.

This absolutely sounds like it's right up my alley, signed up and reserved my name. Has there been any news on a beta or anything?

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Just signed up for another, hopefully not, poo poo game to play with you poo poo lords. Someone let me know when it is released or open beta.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is this a airbuccaneers mmo? airbuccaneers was really fun

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

is this a airbuccaneers mmo? airbuccaneers was really fun

airbuccaneers meets spiderman 2

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So if you go to steam you can download the World Adrift island creator.

The swinging mechanics are hella fun, and a whole game of exploring it and building your sky pirate ship sounds extremely my jam.

For those that haven't tried it, the physics remind me of worms armageddon rope physics, down to the ability to speed up your swing by reeling in. You have a pretty absurd degree of freedom of movement, and it feels incredibly satisfying careening your way around an island using only your rope and ingenuity.

Spiderman 2 seems like an apt comparison in how satisfying it feels to play!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The creator isn't half bad either. I futzed around with it yesterday and made this:

Not the best at sculpting fine detail though. Placement can be a bit finicky too.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pavlov posted:

The creator isn't half bad either. I futzed around with it yesterday and made this:

Not the best at sculpting fine detail though. Placement can be a bit finicky too.

thats really cool though

imagine launching a ship out of the palm~

i really like the tree on that ring finger :shobon:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
someone make goatse

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

thats really cool though

imagine launching a ship out of the palm~

i really like the tree on that ring finger :shobon:

Well, I figured out how the workshop works, so if you want to play around on it, you can get it here.

If you like the finger tree, try standing in the palm in afternoon or sunset. It's very pretty.

If my experiences with people flying in games before mean anything, then people would probably just crash their ships into the fingers if they tried docking there. That's why I put a little landing pad/construction site behind the top wrist.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 17, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
but thats part of the fuunn

navigate through the fingers like you do when you dock your ship in ED

i looked at the screenshots, thats as far as i go for now. A lot of really pretty shots

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Pavlov posted:

:laffo:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

pertinent posted:

I think you got your youtube link wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rgQ8MmQ80o

This is the gameplay video. The one OP links to is a 15 second advertisement...

lol

polygon

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I fukken loev boats! :krakken: :sureboat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Any of you got in the new Alpha? There are creatures, crew and weather now, which is pretty swell!