Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill probably play this game idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How are the movement controls in the actual game? Island creator feels kind of awkward.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Big play test next week. Register before August 29th.
https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/big-alpha-playtest-apply-now/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jackard posted:

How are the movement controls in the actual game? Island creator feels kind of awkward.

They feel great, but clunky. The swinging is as good as something as Spiderman 2, but it lacks the other vital ingredient that made navigation in that game work: Climbing. As such, it can be a pain getting up the crows nest of a ship, or bits of high groun.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They feel great, but clunky. The swinging is as good as something as Spiderman 2, but it lacks the other vital ingredient that made navigation in that game work: Climbing. As such, it can be a pain getting up the crows nest of a ship, or bits of high groun.

Shift makes you go up, Ctrl makes you go down. Use Shift + W to swing forward really fast, then let the momentum carry you up where you can get a better shot.

Or, when hanging from the rope, if you go all the way up with Shift, you can still use jump to boost yourself up over ledges, even if you're only hanging by one hand. Physics, right?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

pertinent posted:

Shift makes you go up, Ctrl makes you go down. Use Shift + W to swing forward really fast, then let the momentum carry you up where you can get a better shot.

Or, when hanging from the rope, if you go all the way up with Shift, you can still use jump to boost yourself up over ledges, even if you're only hanging by one hand. Physics, right?

Still clunky as heck to climb. It feels like the Skyrim and Oblivion solution of jump at the thing and hope for the best.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Can't argue against it being somewhat counterintuitive, but it's not really difficult to deal with once you get a hang of how the various rope mechanics work.

I think the easiest way to practice is to use the island creator, and create a sphere island with max on everything - noise, randomness, size, etc. This creates a large swiss cheese type ball where you can swing in and out of caves and crevices.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I think it might feel better if holding the jump button would ascend the grapple, just like jump has you swim upwards in games with swimming.

Also I don't like how you have to rightclick twice for a new grapple.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 25, 2016

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Jackard posted:

Also I don't like how you have to rightclick twice for a new grapple.

Right-click detaches and attaches the hook, yeah, but if you hold down right mouse while attached, it will detach and then let you shoot in any direction you want when releasing right mouse. You don't have to click twice.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Man, compare all the concrete info in that 43 minute Eurogamer video to any of the pre-release No Man's Sky stuff. Game looks pretty cool. I'm wondering about more long-term game hooks but that's just the nerd in me. Seems like it'll be fun to fly around with friends on mumble/vent and drink beers.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Do we have an alliance set up yet? Lets build the biggest dong ship in the sky.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sure, I was already messing around with the emblem maker so set up something quick here

https://www.worldsadrift.com/register/?ref=alliance-pyke

E: Sabin already had an alliance https://www.worldsadrift.com/alliances/super-dimension-fortress-gooncross/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 31, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For some reason the link just directs me towards the registration page. What's the name of it?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Here https://www.worldsadrift.com/alliances/super-dimension-fortress-gooncross/

I misunderstood their recruitment section, looks like its links are for new players only.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 31, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I clicked "ok" on your app and it just vanished. Did it work? Members list seems unchanged. Maybe it takes a bit.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Jackard posted:

I clicked "ok" on your app and it just vanished. Did it work? Members list seems unchanged. Maybe it takes a bit.

It asked me to approve my join request.

I am now the proud second member of pyke.

thanks babe.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:lol: I wasn't expecting their process to need a confirmation of a confirmation

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Signed up! Going to try out the island creator at some point.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
https://www.worldsadrift.com/alliances/goonwaffe/

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

:frogsiren: :getin::frogsiren:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hmmm... I can't tell if this one is meant to be a goatse reference or not.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
ill have to give it a shot sometimes soon, are they doing alpha already?

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Judging by initial forum replies this game's community is going to be incredibly entertaining to grief.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Hmmm... I can't tell if this one is meant to be a goatse reference or not.

Just found that one of the Bossa's PR staff is in that alliance.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

pmac posted:

Judging by initial forum replies this game's community is going to be incredibly entertaining to grief.
Rank 7 Alliance when sorted by total members:

https://www.worldsadrift.com/alliances/the-harbormen/

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Jackard posted:

Rank 7 Alliance when sorted by total members:

https://www.worldsadrift.com/alliances/the-harbormen/

How long into alpha do you think they'll last?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

pmac posted:

Someone flagged the thread as inappropriate and a post I had replied as well. Several posts later a pubbie issued a threat...

Then a second threat and more Grrrr Goons... Then the Forum Admin stepped in and basically told the pubbie to suck it up and deal with it.

Goons win, flawless victory.

Forums: https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/goonswarm/
Join the alliance: https://www.worldsadrift.com/alliances/goonwaffe

If the forum PVP is this good, the game has promise.

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 30, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is anyone making an alliance

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the obsessionw ith the word pubbie

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill realpost why im not going to join the goonwaffe alliance

youve had a bizarre need to be in power ever since you joined SA

from TSW, some other MMO, Albion, Discord, now this, and especially after you stole all the money in Albion, im not interested in playing in a group with you as a leader

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Eonwe posted:

im the obsessionw ith the word pubbie
You were the cause all along!?? :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its me. im the pubbie.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
pubbies are better than goons because they didnt give lowtax ten dollars

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eonwe posted:

ill realpost why im not going to join the goonwaffe alliance

youve had a bizarre need to be in power ever since you joined SA

from TSW, some other MMO, Albion, Discord, now this, and especially after you stole all the money in Albion, im not interested in playing in a group with you as a leader

Wasn't the Albion guild bank theft like a couple days before a wipe? I mean it's one thing to steal poo poo in a live game and another when literally nothing matters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im sure thats why it was stolen, because the game was going to be wiped, so its now good, and in fact cool.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you can do what you want, but id rather play with the "pubbies"

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i think spending weeks collecting pirate rocks and giving them to a known guild thief is actually a great idea

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the guy only stole stuff in our pre-launch lovely game, and not our post-launch lovely game, this makes all the difference.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Zero posted:

i think spending weeks collecting pirate rocks and giving them to a known guild thief is actually a great idea

:same: :yeah: :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean it sounds like you are playing an online game and also hoping to avoid interpersonal drama.

It's like picking up a book and saying you don't like reading.