Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Extremely.

It can cross a zone in about 1.5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game is neat

it'll die before it becomes good, but that's life

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Extremely.

It can cross a zone in about 1.5 minutes.
Which is coincidentally how long it takes to furl/unfurl all of them.

Unless things changed or my previous concept was bad it would probably go about as fast even with half as many sails since that looks to be about 90% sails by weight.

Lori posted:

At what point should you start even thinking about waltzing through a Sand Wall? I want to see those SWEET badlands up close and personal.
When you've saved up enough gas, you have a ship capable of it (some solid 40-50 power t4/t3 engines is probably fine), and you feel like going.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My last act of defiance, scuttling a ship to deny the boarders its booty, is uhhhh. getting extremely difficult lately. Do all these addons make disassembling the core harder? It took so long we accidentally landed on an island. Right on the top of it's dumb legend of the hidden temple apex.

I had to scuttle it by hand, grabbing all the ores and leaping into the briney deep. And then again for the wood. I saved the dyes.

e: Also as of a few years ago timed explosives didn't damage ships? Is that still the case?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 22, 2018

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Just jumped back into this recently to see what's different. Lot's of nice changes and updates. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that ship designing and building is the same as it has been since the start of Alpha though. What on earth are they waiting for? It's like, the central aspect of this game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What else was promised or expected? I jumped onto this a few weeks ago because goons on a discord suddenly started talking about it, so I've missed out on whatever longrunning talking points there have been.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cheap Shot posted:

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that ship designing and building is the same as it has been since the start of Alpha though. What on earth are they waiting for? It's like, the central aspect of this game.
That's what I've been telling them!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Have been doing chill exploring on the PvE server, met some good traders. It's nice to see people and not immediately worry about a fight.
Last night, though, flew into the wrong wall. My little explorer ship was not at all ready for it. Trying to grapple and repair my atlas core while plunging into the void was quite the experience!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Jackard posted:

That's what I've been telling them!

Why wont they listen to you? It's really bad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

From the sounds of things they dont really listen to player reps (we had two people in the CCC) let alone players.

E: our contribution was persuading them to get rid of the 24-hour cooldown on beacons

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 27, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm liking the updates after not playing for a few months, it's nice to have some sort of direction at the beginning. That said performance is still pretty laughable. I have an i5-4570,16gb ram, and rx580 and it fluctuates between 40-70fps :(

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is PVE a good, chill time for solo players? I liked making effortships that were just flying houseboats but it seemed a risky prospect making anything that wasn't just disposable in PVP.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jackard posted:

From the sounds of things they dont really listen to player reps (we had two people in the CCC) let alone players.

E: our contribution was persuading them to get rid of the 24-hour cooldown on beacons
They do listen. Eventually. It's very annoying though.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Songbearer posted:

Is PVE a good, chill time for solo players? I liked making effortships that were just flying houseboats but it seemed a risky prospect making anything that wasn't just disposable in PVP.

The pve server is great for chill ship building and exploration.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Latest updates. Progress continues at Cardinal Guild with mapping the new world, but there is no interactive map yet.

Bossa needs to work on their feedback.

They are selecting an all-new batch of player reps.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Songbearer posted:

Yes. I'm mostly solo and I sometimes team up with people I meet. The PvE server is honestly my idea of how the game should be in the first place. Having the top tier zone be the dangerous pvp land lets other players get their legs and learn the game. (There does need to be more clarity on what rules change once you enter T4 though. They need to work on that).The PVP zone runs across the middle of the map so you have to cross it to get to the pve zones on the other side. It's such a brilliant setup I can't imagine myself playing the game any other way. I've had way more fun and interesting player interactions on PvE than the entire alpha and beta prior to it. I also tend to build more interesting ships now, and feel more comfortable having fun with lite RP stuff.

I'd love to get on that. I have a lot of BIG IDEAS™ and I'm pretty passionate about this game. I'm really uncertain about how their selection process works though and it sounds like there was and is a lot of people kinda upset about it?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

They draw from names that people put into a hat.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Jackard posted:

They draw from names that people put into a hat.

ah...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I've been looking at building my own custom frame and building a bigger trade voyager, because, you know, why not?

I've got a three-deck stack I'm fairly happy with, but I'm trying to get nodes moved the correctly to create cut-outs for stairs. When I raise a deck, I get two stacked nodes to shift the top and bottom of the deck, which lets me create mid-deck frame beams that result in deck sections I can remove. This doesn't seem to be possible on a flat deck, though?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
You can remove any deck with your mover gun

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Punched through to T3 in the new ship. Found a floating artificial horizon! Expected to grab some atlas lifters off it, but nope, this one's powered by bug!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
RIP

https://massivelyop.com/2019/01/10/improbable-and-unitys-spat-over-spatialos-threatens-dozens-of-mmos-including-worlds-adrift/

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Who could have expected that a former EA executive being in charge of Unity would end up loving people over...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Is there content beyond building ships yet?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'd sort of burned out on the game, and not played in a few weeks, so I figured I'd try to run my freighter through the sandwall in a last fit of insanity.

And I made it! WTF!?

Now I'm worried I don't have enough fuel to get back. The curse of success!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Platonicsolid posted:

I'd sort of burned out on the game, and not played in a few weeks, so I figured I'd try to run my freighter through the sandwall in a last fit of insanity.

And I made it! WTF!?

Now I'm worried I don't have enough fuel to get back. The curse of success!

I was burnt out and decided to just sink all my best materials into a ship to try the sandwall. It did not go so well. Have barely played since. Designing frames and assembling ships is just painfully unfun and frustrating, and it’s just killed my desire to keep playing. Not worth the effort.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Is there content beyond building ships yet?

Dying clothes and ships as well as overly expensive cooking are in, but other than ~pvp~ no.

Edit: game is still alive somehow. There was a toss up between unity and improbable but it has been resolved.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 22, 2019

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

At least I can make a ship look like a bumble bee when I come back.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Cheap Shot posted:

Designing frames and assembling ships is just painfully unfun and frustrating, and it’s just killed my desire to keep playing. Not worth the effort.
The new overexaggerated collision detection for ship parts made this even more frustrating...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Raskolnikov posted:

Dying clothes and ships as well as overly expensive cooking are in, but other than ~pvp~ no.

Edit: game is still alive somehow. There was a toss up between unity and improbable but it has been resolved.

Man, if only they could take Eve Online, Worlds Adrift and ArmA 3 and smash them together.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Man, if only they could take Eve Online, Worlds Adrift and ArmA 3 and smash them together.

Have you heard of.....

Star citizen? :v:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Free keys for all founders!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Harminoff posted:

Free keys for all founders!

What? Free keys in addition to my already free key?
edit: Oh I see. Free keys so I can show other people just how little actual content is in the game.

Thanks?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 4, 2019

forge
Feb 26, 2006
If only there was someone who wanted to play to give all these keys to? :crickets:

Where is your content? :crickets:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

forge posted:

If only there was someone who wanted to play to give all these keys to? :crickets:

Where is your content? :crickets:

But seriously, could you imagine what I posted above? Space Balls utilizing the Eve game, physics like WA, and ArmA-esque PvP and OverPoc mod base building? I would play the gently caress out of such a game.

But I guess building horrible looking junkers to try to get through a couple flavors of space walls because ~reasons~ is something too...
I mean jesus h christ it has been 3 years since they wowed us with the concept of swinging around and flying ships., and they have added virtually nothing of actual substance since?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 9, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The emplaced anti boarder shotguns. That's about it.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Did they ever end up smoothing out the gameplay or is it still super janky where your just going along and freeze in mid air with a loading wheel. That was the worst ever thing they could have done and I haven't played since that day talking to luke about it.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Maintenance mode MMO game

A MMMMOG

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 15, 2019

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I bought this game during the Lunar Sale. I'm looking forward to trying it as soon as I beat Crackdown 3 and that mod for Skyrim that released on Steam recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Virtually nothing of actual substance was obviously far too much. Now you will get nothing for the foreseeable future.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/announcement/the-path-ahead/