Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

It kills me to see after Minecraft making all the money that it did that there isn't a single decent minecraft clone out there. Give me 100 grand, three programmers, two artists and a loving accountant for 1 and a half years and I will poo poo you out a better minecraft.

And it won't have any loving zombies or spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
You sound a lot like Chris Roberts....

Can't trust you.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

SabinBlitz posted:

You sound a lot like Chris Roberts....

Can't trust you.

I said 100 grand. Not all the loving money in the universe. (Although that is just the operating budget and I would probably need to pay the staff unless I was to like chain them down at their desks at gunpoint.)

Hey I got a new Idea. I can do it for 100 grand flat and only half a year now.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 1, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I never liked minecraft. I think I've played it for a grand total of an hour.

This game seems more about being spiderman and crashing dong-planes into meticulously crafted sperg-islands.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Drinkfist posted:

(Although that is just the operating budget and I would probably need to pay the staff unless I was to like chain them down at their desks at gunpoint.)

So you are familiar with running a tech startup.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

it is a minecraft type game which fucks up things and the op is dumb enough to link a polygon video.

One polygon is now and forever will be a poo poo company that shills reviews for cash
Two before I turned off the video one of them said that this is the only game where cutting down a tree matters cause it could fall on you and kill you. Other games do this but they are paid shills so.

everquest next landmark tried this and it didn't take off for good reasons, neither will this

It will sell plenty of dumb packs though for people with no self control and probably will never reach critical mass to make any of the mass player part fun

also lol at steampunk and airships

When I linked it, it was literally the only footage that existed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
some times it is better to have nothing than to have poo poo

or you know, don't post a mmo thread or wait for more content to be released

but this is alexander delarge we are talking about here

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

some times it is better to have nothing than to have poo poo

or you know, don't post a mmo thread or wait for more content to be released

but this is alexander delarge we are talking about here

In my defence, the other thread was like a month older.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At this point there is nothing you can say in defense of your MMO HMO infamy that will get you even a little off the hook. That hook is part of you now.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Drinkfist posted:

This week we are playing Battleline.

https://battlelinegame.com/

Imagine a bunch of guys made a game about tanks but didn't know what tanks do so they kinda just decided to have a KV-2 be all armor and no damage and match them up against M-270 MLRS because gently caress you. Also it's an RTS kinda. Also the T-34-76 is considered a heavy tank.

Gameplay is kinda fun and it's free.

Oh and Orv I have always been here in CTS mumble all the time with the rest of us degenerates so I don't know why you don't stop by more often to see what garbage we are playing each week. Last week it was / still is Gundam Online China, Final Fantasy Record Keeper and TOME with a dash of DCSS. Week before that it was EDF 4.1 and Minecraft.

Anyone is welcome to stop by if you can stay in the channel without being run out for being some hosed up space autism.

Is the gameplay more world of tanks or more war thunder?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Lobus posted:

Is the gameplay more world of tanks or more war thunder?

more red alert

There is a sniper mode for every tank where you can shoot farther than normal but you can't move during it. It is hard to aim that way as well since you just guess the angle.

You can have multiples of a single tank and each tanks respawn is like 5-40 minutes. So you can get load outs that are lots of small tanks, form a squad, bring them out all at once, or a single large tank.

If they blow up you wait the respawn by having alternative tanks to send out. Or your freebie tank.

It is a bad game but kinda unique as far as tank games go.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

also lol at saying "In my defense, I'm guiltier than a skunk on a porch"

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Are people really implying here that the creators of I Am Bread are not going to put out a quality MMO?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
of course not, i already bought the emerald pirate raider teir package

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

randombattle posted:

Are people really implying here that the creators of I Am Bread are not going to put out a quality MMO?

if you look closely you will see this bread chop down a tree, swing from a grappling hook, and build an air ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDE4rsLVB9A

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

randombattle posted:

I was thinking about it, and all their games do seem to have something in common, and that's being based around a silly physics engine.

The main gameplay here looks like a mix of silly grappling hook physics, and silly skyboat physics.

I think even Reggin could have a little fun ramming people with his sky phallus.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

of course not, i already bought the emerald pirate raider teir package

lol

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'm just real skeptical of small indie developers suddenly making colossally huge games that sound way beyond the scope of what a tiny indie studio can make.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
hard to tell what is overreach since they only make physics games and all of their content relies on randomgen + player submissions

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah is it really that big though? Most of the actual space in the game looks like empty air to fly ships through. Then they have some random gen islands for trees and poo poo, some player made islands for setpieces, and a handful of dev made islands for special poo poo I think.

They're also not doing the normal MMO thing of having levels, skill trees, quests, mob grinding zones, instances, 2^10 types of loot or all that poo poo. So they're not worried about that.

Their ship building system is the only thing that actually looks kind of ambitious, and they put out a video that makes it look like it's in a pretty good place right now.

It might have problems with longevity, but I can see it being fun while it lasts.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Yeah is it really that big though? Most of the actual space in the game looks like empty air to fly ships through. Then they have some random gen islands...

no man's world adrift

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

But did no man's sky have me tediously sculpting giant hands for your amusement? I don't think so.

Checkmate atheists.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blazing Zero posted:

no man's world adrift
Still in closed alpha and they have better gameplay trailers than NMS :sad:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Yeah is it really that big though? Most of the actual space in the game looks like empty air to fly ships through. Then they have some random gen islands for trees and poo poo, some player made islands for setpieces, and a handful of dev made islands for special poo poo I think.

They're also not doing the normal MMO thing of having levels, skill trees, quests, mob grinding zones, instances, 2^10 types of loot or all that poo poo. So they're not worried about that.

Their ship building system is the only thing that actually looks kind of ambitious, and they put out a video that makes it look like it's in a pretty good place right now.

It might have problems with longevity, but I can see it being fun while it lasts.

Going from single player to massive multiplayer is pretty ambitious.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
isnt world adrift actually doing something smart about that though

last i read which was many months ago about how they're implementing their server structure on the clouds or whatever so it can cover gaps in latency or whatevs

all i read was "were doin something better about how to handle lag and server stress hope this helps idiots."

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Edit: Took it down

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 4, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Going from single player to massive multiplayer is pretty ambitious.

Yeah and I'd be suspicious if they were just announcing the concept. But they have gameplay videos where I can see the poo poo they have, is real, and exists, and it looks like ambition their team can handle.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

isnt world adrift actually doing something smart about that though

last i read which was many months ago about how they're implementing their server structure on the clouds or whatever so it can cover gaps in latency or whatevs

all i read was "were doin something better about how to handle lag and server stress hope this helps idiots."

Yeah there's no way what a developer says could end up not turning out right.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Yeah and I'd be suspicious if they were just announcing the concept. But they have gameplay videos where I can see the poo poo they have, is real, and exists, and it looks like ambition their team can handle.

So the paradox guys think that they have a working multiplayer and despite all the desync issues in their game, they always say "not our fault, we can't recreate it." All of their tests are done on lan. It is a known issue in their community that they can't do multiplayer well outside of a lan situation.

I am going to say that most likely those videos you've seen for this game have been in a lan situation and may not be what it is like live.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

randombattle posted:

Its less that bossa is so drat good that they can just up and make an mmo, and more that they realized they were completely out of their depth and decided not to try. Instead they are just building an incredibly simplistic physics game on top of a licensed mmo framework. Most of the risk here is that the unproven voodoo tech they are building around just doesn't work, and that should be pretty apparent during the upcoming playtest.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh sure, they could still gently caress up their netcode. Or the magic software package they're using for server infrastructure could be a hoax. But honestly that poo poo goes wrong in most loving MMOs I've played, so I always take it for a crapshoot. If they can actually get me on their servers playing the game though, the poo poo they already have there looks fun. That's better than I can say about most of the MMOs in development now.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

so what youre saying is, its only worth 20 bucks

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

randombattle posted:

As someone who's played the alphas, it works but it's fairly dull solo. It's a good foundation to stand on I think.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who all is in the upcoming playtest aside from me?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

suck your dick you gently caress man

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eonwe posted:

Who all is in the upcoming playtest aside from me?

I'm in and I should have at least one spare key maybe.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm in. gently caress everyone who didn't get in.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm in. gently caress everyone who didn't get in.

:smith:

HipBEE
Apr 27, 2014
I got in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok well some of us are going to be in this alliance

feel free to join or whatevs

https://www.worldsadrift.com/alliances/super-dimension-fortress-gooncross/