Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

What’s funny is that territory control is actually something that would get people playing the game again. See: Atlas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
After months of nothing, we put our heads together, coming to a decision. The game and our community would be better served by continuing to do nothing instead of almost nothing.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

7c Nickel posted:

Virtually nothing of actual substance was obviously far too much. Now you will get nothing for the foreseeable future.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/announcement/the-path-ahead/

I like how they threw the players under the bus in the eulogy. Good job as always bossa.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Maybe you should focus on core technology?

"We are!"

Okay but it's been a couple years...

"This is your fault."

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
In hindsight, maybe their handling of Decksplash should have been a bit of a red flag wrt how bossa does gamedev...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Has that Sylvain guy ever not been full of poo poo? I can't remember a single worthwhile post from him.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

I like how they threw the players under the bus in the eulogy. Good job as always bossa.

Our Beta testers should have given us more money for them to test for us and also create all our islands.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

BurtLington posted:

What’s funny is that territory control is actually something that would get people playing the game again. See: Atlas

They had nooooo clue how to program this. Either it was the super outdated middleware or their lack of skill.

Bossa also isn't known for foresight.

7c Nickel posted:

Our Beta testers should have given us more money for them to test for us and also create all our islands.
The island creator is really cool. Also it hasn't had a significant update since the ill planned "second early access."

A small part of me wants to believe they will update it once more to add all the beta branch features but I doubt that's going to happen.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 24, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm of two minds about the Island Creator.

On the one hand, it is actually pretty cool to play around with. I've created and submitted a couple of islands and seen some of the props I've made appear in game. It also ensure that there's a fairly large pool to draw from and I can appreciate that devs need to save money where they can.

On the other hand, there's next to no feedback or guidelines on the islands. You just kind of upload them to steam and maybe the show up in game. If I update it, will they update their version? It's completely opaque. And some of the islands that do make it in game are trash tier, but there's no way to flag them. And others look good but are a slog to actually play on. And some look good but are wildly out of theme with other islands.

They really needed a formal submission process that includes style guidelines, play guidelines, feedback and information on the status of a given island.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I read this as we are moving all our devs to a profitable game. SHOCKING, we all saw this coming. Two months from now they will give up completely and WA will be added to the large pile of failed EA games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So i take it this game isn't very good? What about Guns of Icarus Alliance?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The game is frustrating because a lot of the core is VERY VERY good. Building your own ship, flying it around, working in a crew, boarding enemy ships. All this is great stuff. Even the act of mining resources has a fair bit of skill as you grapple around the underside of an island and carefully take chunks out of a rock without breaking it.

The issue is that Bossa don't seem to be able to make any progress with the technical problems, and they constantly make boneheaded design decision and won't acknowledge it when confronted with them.

So we end up in a situation where there's no high level features to keep the endgame going, rampant cheating and no way to bank progress so you constantly have to regrind materials if you want to engage with the game.

A good example of their bad design decisions is that they tried to do an artificial ecology thing with the island life. This was well after the point that Richard Garriott had talked about how the artificial life sim for Ultima Online was a giant boondoogle that ate up time and money and processing power and was eventually dumped, all without the player base ever noticing it was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
A friend just gifted this to me and we've been crewing a small ship together for a day.

Holy poo poo the core of this game is incredible, grappling hooks, skyships, we had some really great pvp interactions (fighting each other across the skies, grappling between ships before giving up and calling it peace).

It's so disappointing to see the game appears to have changed little from 2017 videos. Is there still worthwhile gameplay to strive towards from the beginner level to intermediate?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think I've ever played a game where physical mastery of gameplay (grappling hooks) felt so rewarding.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

It's pretty good whenever the population spikes, but their glacial development leads to these kind of levels https://steamcharts.com/app/322780

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

This game could gain a lot of players from Atlas if they just added territory control. Right now PvP is pretty meaningless.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Supposedly the first form of territory control is coming in the next patch. But they also haven't updated their news in almost a month so who knows if it will happen or be any good.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LjulJLsGakhQHqXAWypxi89aKyLZS3x-Be-QGk3GBu8/edit#heading=h.yipmgtt46vqf

This is the PTS patch list from what I understand.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 21, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Welp.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This is what happens when you have an amazing proof of concept but just have nowhere to go after that

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They had plenty of places to go. They just thought their amazing proof of concept entitled them to instant financial success / didn't actually have the technical skill to pull it off.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My quick post mortem is that like so many other games they tried to pad out the games lack of content wit time by making everything super grindy to obtain, which led to a timid playerbase unwilling to fight unless assured to win. I figured out early on I’d have to spend many hours just to obtain basic blueprints and gave up.

Instead they should have made making ships super easy and fast and encouraged people to build giant behemoths people could rappel around on and around and made fights a brutal but ultimately cheap affair.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Extremely disappointing, I threw money at it and tooled around a little but largely was just waiting for some 1.0 release.

Ah well. I've since learned the lesson of avoiding early access and this is just another nail in that coffin. At least we get some free games! Oh wait, I already own them.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
They really need to make it open source and let the community host/develop it. What do they have to lose at this point?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ossipago posted:

They really need to make it open source and let the community host/develop it. What do they have to lose at this point?

Given the integration of SpatialOS as a primary component I don't imagine that's an option.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

They won't be able to open source any of their SpatialOS work. Hopefully they can do small stuff like making the island creator spit out common formats for people to play around with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wish there was a way to profit off my MMO predictions I'd be a millionaire by now.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Being able to short early access MMOs would be a gold mine.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

big nipples big life posted:

Being able to short early access MMOs would be a gold mine.

Who would take the other side of that bet?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Platonicsolid posted:

Who would take the other side of that bet?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

rest in the earth's core

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

there's some people on twitch still logged into the servers doing protest streaming? But it's dead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Feh!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
wtf is there to protest?

Streamers are garbage people and game grifters who would cut off their own live if they could monetize it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

If you're not an influencer, is life worth living?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
A lot of us that were pretty invested in World's Adrift have found out that Last Oasis is more or less like WA and fills a lot of the boxes, plus its funded and has a release date...

Last Oasis OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891677
Last Oasis Goons: https://discordapp.com/invite/fuD3dTn Channel: #lastoasis_goons
Last Oasis Official Discord: https://discord.gg/HHd2Eee

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Tempus Thales posted:

A lot of us that were pretty invested in World's Adrift have found out that Last Oasis is more or less like WA and fills a lot of the boxes, plus its funded and has a release date...

Last Oasis OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891677
Last Oasis Goons: https://discordapp.com/invite/fuD3dTn Channel: #lastoasis_goons
Last Oasis Official Discord: https://discord.gg/HHd2Eee

Does it have the same sort of verticality though? Ngl that was a big draw for me

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Demiurge4 posted:

My quick post mortem is that like so many other games they tried to pad out the games lack of content wit time by making everything super grindy to obtain, which led to a timid playerbase unwilling to fight unless assured to win. I figured out early on I’d have to spend many hours just to obtain basic blueprints and gave up.

Instead they should have made making ships super easy and fast and encouraged people to build giant behemoths people could rappel around on and around and made fights a brutal but ultimately cheap affair.

My passion for worlds adrift started with how beautiful and fluid the movement and grappling was. It was intuitive and satisfying. I loved being able to pinpoint nail the exact spot I wanted with my grapple while zipping around, and the momentum you could build. The glider was also beautiful and functioned great. It really complimented the grapple. Shame they kept loving with stuff that made the game less fun, like taking away health re-gen, which made us feel fragile and swinging around super punishing, or making the glider just stop working suddenly after gliding "too long".

They really had no direction and zero competent project management. They would add neat little features here and there, but for the most part they were just adding slog and wet blankets left and right. Like, one of the last patches added more ores and overhauled all the materials balance. What the gently caress was the point of that? It didn't even change the gameplay beyond more hassle. I was astounded that they were bothering with something like that, without being anywhere close to a 1.0. I remember they opened a test server for us to preview that update for whatever reason. On the test server they made ore drop like 5x the normal amount. Literally everyone said "Hey, make this how it is normally" and they of course declined to listen.

Ship building was slow and frustrating and unrewarding for the entirety of development, and honest to god didn't change the entire time. They never worked on it beyond adding the ability to rotate parts at one point. That was where they hosed up the hardest imo. They forced you to be on the ground and frustrated for 90% of the time, collecting resources and then fighting with the ship designer, only to be in the air briefly and be shot down or lose your ship and have to start the process all over. The point I finally checked out was when they implemented "engine overheat". Pre patch, we got in our fast ships and zoomed around crashing into each other and having an awesome time. Post patch, those ships could fly for about 10 seconds, and you needed hyper specific RNG generated engine stats to "get around" the overheat mechanic.

They were so confused as to why their early access game wasn't making them the mad bux.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

They also hosed with the placement rules around the same time as overheat so I couldnt make my little speeder bikes anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Honestly, I agree with all of that. For some reasons, throughout the test, they kept adding MORE barriers to funtimes, not removing or streamlining or piping them properly. They would really benefit from an experienced game/systems designer.