Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Bossa did a reddit ama . Some really exciting stuff:
- They're doing a single server per continent, a la EVE.
- There won't be objectives short of resources being found only in specific areas.
- Ships are fully customizable even down to the shape/symmetry. So yes, dongships/ramhulks will be 100% doable.
- They're selling vanity stuff with microtransactions, but it will be free to play otherwise.
- You'll be able to harpoon other ships and drag them in, but the game actually simulates tension on the ropes with the potential to pull poo poo around.

I think this could be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Also worth mentioning, nerds, is that this game is working with some really cool new tech that (from my super limited understanding) uses "swarms" processors to focus on creating a seamless, highly-scaleable (compared to other mmos), single-server setup that basically runs all the physics and game calculations on the server-side, leaving the player's computer to focus on simply rendering what's already there. It sounds a lot like physics-based EVE Online.

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-probable-future-for-the-mmo-worlds-adrift-and-improbable-tech/

This new tech is really exciting because it's basically debuting for the first time in Worlds Adrift. You can see this in that 45 minute video from December, wherin pieces of the broken up ship were being simulated with a very fine degree of accuracy even while the player was looking at them from like a mile away. Additionally, supposedly nothing despawns, it just kind of hangs around, which is pretty crazy if you consider how much junk players are going to generate.

In that video the devs also mention wanting this game to basically be a huge middle finger to traditional mmos, in that they simply do away with a lot of those traditional systems in favor of giving their crazy powerful physics simulation a starring role. Case in point - you can drop stuff on other players' airships to cause them to fall to the ground, you can grapple onto moving cannonballs to launch yourself, and parts of your ship will physically roll of the side of the islands unless you place them on your ship.

I don't know how successful this game will be, but putting my two cents in now, I think a lot of the design philosophy and execution so far has been really exciting. I can't wait to see where this thing goes.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Happy Sisyphus posted:

is this the new 'power of the cloud'?

Can't tell if this is ironic, but from what I can tell, it pretty much is.

7c Nickel posted:

Man I really want this to be good. Still a bit worried that they don't have strong art style going on the ships.

Agreed, but I think the customization options and general craziness of the gameplay might make up for it. If someone can enjoy Dwarf Fortress for the gameplay, I think Worlds Adrift has a shot.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 28, 2016

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Whoop got in before the cutoff, let's get off this garbage starter island and into the wild blue yonder

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I just made a run at the windwall in my special snowflake double engine ship and got my poo poo kicked in. The only real drag is the ten minute turn time on ships right now, anything I can do to improve that significantly?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Alright, I'll give that a shot with a rebuild. I think my mistake was using the largest frame and then adding to it - didn't realize handling would be affected so drastically.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I remember Rust having similar issues with individually placed wall blocks and I think their solution was to dynamically aggregate similar blocks into single units to simplify physics and graphics tasks. Since ships are a lot smaller I don't see that solution being viable, but could see some sort of physics simplification (gibbing, noclipping) for destroyed panels coming into play eventually.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Guys this is gonna be a good goon game I'm calling it now

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I think I love you

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Jesus like 2000 people voted and more keys is winning by like 50 VOTEVOTEVOTE

This poo poo is closer than the british election lets make sure our absolute boy takes it again

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The VOTEVOTEVOTE wasn't hyperbole I genuinely want you all to vote as many times as possible

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

This is some ripe pubbie soil my friends

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Just realized the death-proof belt inventory slot exists

This changes everything Nick

Also, is there any way to strip parts off downed ships? I keep seeing core upgrades lying around and I want them

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Kind of a mix of both right now, honestly. Also the idea that you can brave a sandwall without instruments is a sick goon joke, rip my first ship.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

KM Scorchio posted:

pretty pleased with how she came out

That's a dope ship! Can she make it through a sandwall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

This game rocks and I can't wait to play it again when it actually releases