Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Okay you bastards sold me. This game could be something really special. I already adore vehicle crafting games and this one looks like there's lots of potential for some real interesting action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm a dumb guy who buys into things super easily so I got in on the ground floor when the keys hit and I'll check out the game tommorow. Looking forward to getting my shitbucket shot out of the sky flying with goons and clipping through floors to my death seeing the world.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
For the longest time I didn't realise that your shipyard makes a personal bubble you can grapple onto

Boy wrestling with the grappling hook and desperately flailing around the hull of my ship before I realised this was an experience

After figuring out what everything was and pancaking to my death with the grappling hook a couple of times I can definitely see the appeal of this game. Flying away in your little ship and watching the island you were on disappear into the distance is an amazing feeling.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri891BGvPdA
My first session summed up, about 40 minutes before the servers went down for maintenance.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A big :tipshat: to all the wonderful people in TSA who are currently harvesting tears aplenty, fine work gentlegoons

I'm currently tooling around on EU until I have a firm grasp on the ins and outs, then I'll pop my head in and keep the skies clean with y'all if you'll have me

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So after painstakingly sailboating my way between islands, I finally approached the knowledge mark to get engines. Landed my craft on a scenic little island that had swarms of manta rays flying around it. These things haven't really bothered me before and are content to derp around doing their best Morrowind cliffracer impression so I didn't think much of it.

I find an abandoned shipyard, claim it, and there's a component creator next to it too. Sure, it's balanced a little precariously towards the edge of a cliff, but I figure physics are on my side and I can probably catch whatever falls off the edge before it vanishes for good.

I'm just about to install my engines - the first one falls off the cliff and I'm too slow to catch it, of course - and the rays start going apeshit. They start bumping me around, I blast them and keep running out of bullets, eventually I have to sandwich myself under the wreckage of another ship just to stop them from taking a chunk out of me.

I finally weld the second engine onto my ship and I'm off! gently caress you, manta rays!

Except they've just formed a gigantic swarm behind me and now the cloud is thick with the fuckers. Screw it, I'm probably faster than them!

I'm not. One of them latches onto the ship and starts eating my personal spawnpoint. No you don't, you bastard! I release the helm, grapple onto the deck, grab my gun and start shooting it in the face!

After a couple of rounds it turns to flee and as it does, it drags me off the ship too. I freak the gently caress out as I'm now flailing around the bottom of the ship, blasting away as my craft continues at full speed without me at the helm. A ray materialises from nowhere and then janks off into nothingness after taking another shot.

I spend the next two minutes desperately trying to rodeo my way back onto my motorised dinghy, physics launching me like a cannon every now and again to remind me that even my own ship hates me. After a torturous couple of attempts, I'm finally back on board and grab the helm.

Something's wrong. The island my ship is heading towards looks horribly familiar.

Due to all my panicked attempts to re-board my ship, the ship has listed to one side and turned 180 degrees to fly right back at Horrible Manta Ray Island. I see the swarms of them in the distance and a cold sweat breaks out. I finally manage to wrestle my ship back into working order, don a new set of underwear, and swear never to return to that godforsaken place.

I've got footage of the whole horrible affair, I'll do something with it tomorrow.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Some chopped up footage of my manta horror:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=167Hn-TErp4

Not featured: About 10 more attempts to board the ship going horribly wrong

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Man US servers feel way more populous than EU. I could fly to a bunch of islands and not see anyone at all on EU, on the US I've had no less than three people run up to me and one dude grapple onto my ship while I was taking off.

He asked if I would take him to the windwall and then fire my cannon so he could grapple to the cannonball and get to T2. I politely declined because A) That sounds like the most improbable bullshit in the world, B) The gun is just for show and has no ammo and C) My ship looks like this:

Yeah that ain't gonna survive a windwall. I then slowly made my way to the next island I wanted to visit and when he went AFK, still grappled to my deck, he got forcibly detached and launched into the sky. Good riddance.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Haha well now I feel like a jerk for not believing that guy, and holy poo poo there really are some cool things about the game if cannonball grapples are real. That's crazy. It just sounded so out there that I assumed he was looking for an easy victim.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What's the radius like on bombs and how do they work? Remote detonation? How possible would it be to make a ship that's entirely light framework, big engines, and a poo poo ton of placed explosives for some suicidal fun?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm happy this game will be B2P instead of F2P/sub based on release. Seems like it'd be an easy one to ruin through nickle and diming. Apparently there'll be a cosmetic shop later.

Are there chairs at all in the game currently or are cannons still your de facto choice of seat? I know it'd be suicidal to make a fancy floating palace and not have it armed to the teeth but I'd love to make a flying decadence craft with chandeliers and poo poo.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Commoners posted:

I picked up a key and am installing now

Oh no!!!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you're not abusing the amazing physics with casual animal cruelty, you're missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY81Kx9uPvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzx_N1QUAWU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Fog Tripper posted:

I'm in game and getting used to swinging about. Trying to do this without resorting to actually reading instructions outside the game. Screen started shaking with no sound associated with it. Been going for a while and no idea what it is.

Protips for swinging:

Holding right mouse lets you free aim your grapple, which is super useful for precision swinging and climbing up cliff faces.

If you're against a wall, pressing Q will latch you on in climbing mode and let you crawl up it without using your grapple. Also works on ship surfaces!

You can double press space to do a grapple boost jump. The trajectory of your jump is based on the position of your grapple wrist: if it's pointed straight up, you'll boost upwards.

You can move quickly across flat terrain by grappling the ground a few meters in front of you and grapple boosting as you run in that direction.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Commoners posted:

I crashed while on the helm and got the loading screen bug, came back and my ship ran a windwall on its own. Then discovered that all of my ship's controls on the helm were inverted and it steers about 50% better than it did before. :psyduck:

Welcome... to the twilight zone!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Com taught me that wings can be put on backwards and doing so massively impedes their abilities

After putting the wings on my ship the correct way (makeshift aileron facing backwards), I very nearly ploughed my ship into the side of the island I was on because the ship responded several magnitudes faster than I expected

Fun emergent gameplay: I was dicking around on one of the islands in E2 (The island pictured at the bottom of the section) and three or four boats pulled up and started shelling me while I was farming wood. I immediately started scaling the giant statue at the apex of it to try and get level with their boat and see if I can board it, but they were too far away. I kept swinging while they bombared me.They weren't able to hit me easily, so one of them jumped off their boat, down onto the island and scaled the statue I was on and we both engaged in swinging and shooting combat while his allies rained cannonfire down on the statue.

He eventually got the best of me (I didn't heal and I didn't run, if they had come this far for a fight I was gonna give them one) so I respawned back on my boat... which they had commandeered while I was distracted, put the engines on full tilt and aimed it directly back at the windwall leading to W3. The ship was at a steep angle so I immediately fell off and had to grapple back to the ship. I thought someone was still on board so I told them they could have the ship for winning the fight - it was only until I got back on board when I noticed nobody was at the helm. Managed to catch the sucker just as it entered the wall and reversed it outta there. Amazingly tense though the stakes weren't exactly high, the ship was a garbagecraft used to bust through the windwall.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Pretty sure everyone gets huge lag/freezes when moving to new islands. I'm guessing it's a pretty high priority.

Big islands that have a lot of resources load them all in at once and if there are a lot of rocks already mined, there's a horrible moment when shards of rock spawn all at once and cause a physics nightmare

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

This is sheer beauty

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Fog Tripper posted:

Was just watching the video showing the stuff people have made in island creator. Holy poo poo.

From the perspective of someone just starting out, the beginner region is pretty bland compared to the potential islands beyond the walls. Could easily see someone seeing only that and getting tired or turned off early, but would be a pity if those "better" islands were moved into the noob zones.

I've been pretty impressed by the quality of most islands I've explored, but there's definitely some real "Oh god, why would you do this" ones that really, really suck if you start on it and would be a horrible experience for a new player. Any island that's incredibly tiny or steep (or both) is a nightmare when it comes to farming resources and finding a good, stable place to build a craft.

I visited an island that looked super complex and interesting and it turned out to be an incredible bastard to build anything on because it was just so bumpy. Items would just drop out of the manufacturing machine and roll off a hill out of the building bubble. Islands that are one big flat area can also sometimes be complete bastards as they leave you wide open to scavengers and other players bothering you while you're crafting. Generally I stick to smaller areas islands because big islands draw ships like flies to poo poo.

The islands that have had some real effort and thought put into their designs are incredible though and an absolute joy to explore and spend time on. I've come across beautiful cave systems, bridges made out of scenery to run across, statues that you can climb up and ruins that are so well placed it's nice to just have a walk around and admire them. This game has a real palpable sense of wonder sometimes and despite most players being jackasses, there's something kind of special about seeing someone elses' craft quietly passing by an island you're on.

From what I've read, the devs manually check each island to see if they're worth including in the game so at least there's some level of quality control going on. I'd love to sit and make an island but that's time I could be spending actually playing and I think despite my best efforts it just wouldn't be on par vs most other creations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Are all the derelict frames you come across player detritus or are some of them procedurally placed? I've come across a couple of designs that have been very similar to each other but some are obviously player vehicles, but every island seems to have ruined frames on them and I'm sure there aren't enough players to justify that.

There's some really interesting moments where the game tells a story without really doing anything. I came across a sail detached from a boat and salvaged it immediately (Talk about getting wood :haw:), then as I crested a hill I came across another sail. Then a panel, then a cannon, then over the next hill just a gigantic wreckage of a boat that had clearly been shot out the air or crashed into the island. Searching around I even found one of the body loot bags which I can only assume was the pilot.

I also came across this monstrosity at one point:

God knows what they were planning to do with this.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kylra posted:

Also stairs don't work very well. You'd be better off just making sure there's something above where your opening is so you can grapple to that. I rarely am able to successfully use stairs and always end up grapple boosting up them.

But they look so pretty

E: How much effort do people put into parking their boats when exploring an island? I pretty much always park it underneath an island or in a cave if possible. It doesn't make it pirateproof but it does make it a fair bit more difficult - only problem is that a lot of people like to mine under islands and then see my horrible boat sitting there, begging for death

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 26, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was tired of my ship being too practical and useful so I made a hot rod:

Interior view:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think at this stage of the game it's a good idea to have a steady rollout of new players. There's still a lot of polish to put on and mechanics to sort out but the core of the game is solid and the more player interaction, the better.

Of course I run away the moment I see anyone but that's neither here nor there

I was looking at some older media for the game and there was a photography mechanic in the works where you could take pictures which would then be physical objects you could place in your ship. I hope that's still in the books, I love the idea of decking your ship out with holiday snaps (and someone coming across a sad wreckage with cute beach shots in it later)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Here was my final evolution of the Hot Rod, which I have since considered more of an all-purpose Sky Car:

Really enjoyed driving this ship. It had a container in the front full of unique clothes and hats I found, a barrel by the helm containing fuels and repair materials, and a cupboard in the back containing all the crafting materials and previously learned schematics in case I found someone who needed something. From the helm you could jump onto the fuel container and then onto the roof, then grapple the roof to fit into the compartment in the back. I didn't want to add the mast, but after repeated manta attacks I grew to love hassle-free travel again. It's a little on the large size for a personal craft but that just made it all the more fun to fly.

I traded it in for my first metal ship, the RAM POD:

I designed it to cruise quickly and brutally through a storm wall. I now know to keep valuable poo poo protected because the first thing the storm knocked out was the Atlas Core Generator that was stuck out the back completely unguarded. Zap, zonk, ship too heavy, immediately begins sinking into the mire. I decide to rodeo it out and try to launch my ragdoll through the atmos in order to hit the spawn point on the other side but by the time I tried, everything was too confused and I respawned back in T2. Back to nothing :v: Pretty excited about the prospect of making a cool new ship though.

If you're feeling adventurous you can find the Sky Car on an island in E3, it's a small one that has a lot of small hexagonal buildings on it. One of its wings is attached off-centre because I had to hastily mangle it while stripping it for parts, but I couldn't bare to fully put it to rest. Hopefully someone will come across it and make it useful again, even if it''s taken apart.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I use the LEX map exclusively for US East. Look at the islands on the map and see which one is present in your zone - it's usually pretty obvious and you'll see the other islands on the map from the other side of windwalls too. It's kind of ingenious really - a map not made through datamining is a rare thing these days.

It looks like they might have added owned ship interaction timers in the game already, it took me a few seconds (With a timer) to investigate the storage of a boat I came across and control its helm. Not for any nefarious purpose, mind. Totally didn't set the helm to lower the boat and bailed off it. Ahem.

E: Sounds like this mechanic was already in the game but they're considering increasing the time it takes?

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 28, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Any protips for breaching stormwalls? It's been a real struggle for me. I managed to break through once but then my ship turned 180, back into the storm, I froze out, died and was forced to respawn back in the zone I was in before. My best engine power rating is T2 26 and I have a core generator that lets me have 1400 weight, so I can fit four engines and four T2 wings - should I be spending more time exploring and getting better schematics before heading back in?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Raged posted:

What does everyone make their ships out of at T2? Right now I'm doing chestnut and iron getting ready to try a storm wall.

Chestnut and iron seems like the very best combination of materials for T1 and T2 ships. I took to making mine entirely out of metals for the stormwall but I'm starting to think material doesn't really matter - if a part gets hit it's hosed anyway. Just have a lot of redundancies, build a ton of wings X for stability and hope for the best

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The salvaging changes are a blessed relief and will also allow people to be FPS janitors while benefiting themselves. Excellent. Smart change on the heading indicator rarity too, I was going to give up on stormwalls but that indicator will be a big help and give me reason to explore again rather than dying over and over. I thought it was bizarre how useful gadgets for stormwalls required you to have passed then first.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 29, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Salvaging derelicts is brilliant. Pop the frames and all the goodies fall off up for grabs, either to attach or salvage, and the frames themselves are worth a good chunk of metal - usually 150 or so for an average sized ship. One thing you learn is how many ships are made out of lead :catstare:

E: Got 3x 1000 stacks of different metal (Mostly Lead, Iron, Bronze) from cleaning one small island of wreckages. Didn't bother salvaging the decks though, it takes forever and they're not worth anything.

VV Yeah, but you're also getting the extra metal from the components on-board, and wreckages are so frequent that there's less travel time too. It's not going to replace mining or lumberjacking but it's still a very viable way to help you bolt some new poo poo onto your ship.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Fog Tripper posted:

How large is the patch download? Is it a full game redownload?

200mb or so, not a lot.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wonder if it's possible that schematic knowledge puts a ding in their server load. I doubt it given that each schematic is a couple of variables, but you never know.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Man I can't get over how good the basic loop feels of crafting ships and exploring neat islands is. This game is basically a screenshot factory with some of the particularly well crafted islands and they really nail the fun of a grappling hook. I don't really interact with players and despite 44 hours of gameplay I still can't really breach the more difficult walls, but there's something very therapeutic about the exploration in this game that's kind of hard to place my finger on. Despite the jank and the relative lightness of the game (Part and parcel of a sandbox MMO is making your own fun) I can really see this game shaping up to be something special.

Of course they might poo poo the bed in the long run, but I've definitely got my money's worth and I've not even engaged with TSA stuff yet.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Two of my latest T1/2 ship designs:

I called this one a "Cargo Barge" in the schematics but after installing my Atlas Core + Generator addon and the fuel supply there was hardly any room for containers of any description :v: Looked good, interior large enough to walk around, immediately died in a wind wall because, surprise surprise, two engines on a giant iron ship isn't enough power to do anything with. Felt pretty nice to fly around in though, the relative slowness made it feel like a long haul vehicle.

A little one-person skiff with all the components tucked neatly underneath the hull. Moves fast, handles well, room enough for an extra engine and some more wings later on. Only real downside is that the wing on the underside makes flying low to islands a complete bastard.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I hope ElBrak on US East isn't one of you because if so I am so sorry about what I did to your ship

I saw it floating in the sky way above an island I was going to explore and decided to check it out. If anyone was there I was just gonna say hi and move on (and hope they didn't kill me) but if it was a derelict I thought I'd do the right thing and just scrap & sink it to pad my pockets and lighten the server load a little. Got up there, nobody was around, engines were sparking but all good. Figured maybe someone made an impressive ship and then forgot to tie themselves to the personal spawner - it happens. Gave it a moment to check out the cargo, nothing really worthwhile despite about 4 containers so I was feeling good that it was just a forgotten ship.

By the time I had finished with the second screenshot I had popped the structural panel off the back of the ship and was going to salvage the Atlas core to sink the ship... and then a smaller boat came roaring in. It had to be the person who owned the vessel, surely.

Oh gently caress.

Angled my skiff down and full throttled it out of there. I pitched it until it pointed all the way to the ground when suddenly I lost control of the helm. Oh no.

Yep, there it was, the dude had tethered to my ship. He didn't say a word but I couldn't regain control of the helm and was grappling onto the boat for my life, all the while as it roared into the lower atmosphere dangerously towards the death zone. I tried to shoot him a few times but I couldn't aim straight.

This dude would just not let go and I died a few times by my tether breaking and occasionally just keeling over dead out of nowhere - maybe he was shooting me, I couldn't tell. I thought I was gonna lose the skiff and all the materials from the boat and we'd have both gotten screwed over for nothing... when suddenly my engines cut out entirely.

I had forgotten to fuel them.

A few meters from the kill zone - the dude had bailed by this point - and my engines died because I was too stupid to check their fuel level.

Holy poo poo I was elated. I have no real attachment to this ship but I wasn't ready to lose it just yet, not in that way. Grabbed my emergency fuel from the box, filled the tank and soared all the way to freedom again. Not today, old chum.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 3, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh god no

If Elbrak wants the materials back and to break my ship down for whatever it's worth then hit me up

I am so sorry

E: Lurking in the Discord now so this won't happen again. I was holding off until I could pass a stormwall. IGN is same as user.

E2: Apparently this is all a huge misunderstanding and the truth is even stupider than I thought

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 3, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Also incredibly important for newbies is the fact that you must attach wings with the aileron (the little flappy bit) at the back.

If you don't do this your wings will be less than useless. Yes, I know you crave symmetry, but you'll have to live with the T1 wings driving your OCD insane. Sorry.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I so want this project to turn out well. The theme, setting and atmosphere are great even in this early stage, and the initial feeling of getting your first ship in the air and exploring the cool islands is really cool.

They have a long, long way to go before this game is worthy of recommendation and I really want to know just what they'll give players to do outside of blasting one another out the air. It seems like such a lot of distance to go with the super neat but very shallow core they currently have.

Best grappling hook action I've experienced in a while though

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Not gonna lie I love how that ship looks

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is PVE a good, chill time for solo players? I liked making effortships that were just flying houseboats but it seemed a risky prospect making anything that wasn't just disposable in PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This is what happens when you have an amazing proof of concept but just have nowhere to go after that