Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm of two minds about the Island Creator.

On the one hand, it is actually pretty cool to play around with. I've created and submitted a couple of islands and seen some of the props I've made appear in game. It also ensure that there's a fairly large pool to draw from and I can appreciate that devs need to save money where they can.

On the other hand, there's next to no feedback or guidelines on the islands. You just kind of upload them to steam and maybe the show up in game. If I update it, will they update their version? It's completely opaque. And some of the islands that do make it in game are trash tier, but there's no way to flag them. And others look good but are a slog to actually play on. And some look good but are wildly out of theme with other islands.

They really needed a formal submission process that includes style guidelines, play guidelines, feedback and information on the status of a given island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The game is frustrating because a lot of the core is VERY VERY good. Building your own ship, flying it around, working in a crew, boarding enemy ships. All this is great stuff. Even the act of mining resources has a fair bit of skill as you grapple around the underside of an island and carefully take chunks out of a rock without breaking it.

The issue is that Bossa don't seem to be able to make any progress with the technical problems, and they constantly make boneheaded design decision and won't acknowledge it when confronted with them.

So we end up in a situation where there's no high level features to keep the endgame going, rampant cheating and no way to bank progress so you constantly have to regrind materials if you want to engage with the game.

A good example of their bad design decisions is that they tried to do an artificial ecology thing with the island life. This was well after the point that Richard Garriott had talked about how the artificial life sim for Ultima Online was a giant boondoogle that ate up time and money and processing power and was eventually dumped, all without the player base ever noticing it was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Supposedly the first form of territory control is coming in the next patch. But they also haven't updated their news in almost a month so who knows if it will happen or be any good.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LjulJLsGakhQHqXAWypxi89aKyLZS3x-Be-QGk3GBu8/edit#heading=h.yipmgtt46vqf

This is the PTS patch list from what I understand.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 21, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Welp.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They had plenty of places to go. They just thought their amazing proof of concept entitled them to instant financial success / didn't actually have the technical skill to pull it off.