Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I think you got your youtube link wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rgQ8MmQ80o

This is the gameplay video. The one OP links to is a 15 second advertisement...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Latest playtest of version 3.5, from about a month ago, with lots of talking about how version 4 is going to be the best thing since sliced butter cause no one is actually working on version 3 anymore.

Beware the game audio is much louder than the stream audio so sometimes can't hear anything they're saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjI8cEQdb5Q

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

dylguy90 posted:

This new tech is really exciting because it's basically debuting for the first time in Worlds Adrift. You can see this in that 45 minute video from December, wherin pieces of the broken up ship were being simulated with a very fine degree of accuracy even while the player was looking at them from like a mile away. Additionally, supposedly nothing despawns, it just kind of hangs around, which is pretty crazy if you consider how much junk players are going to generate.

A lot of those things will no doubt drop off the islands following a 1000ft drop, and disintegrate at the bottom of the world, and other pieces may be recycled by other players.

However they've pointed out that they will be deleting islands when they reach a point where they can't sustain any kind of gameplay. Barren islands that have had all trees cut down and stones mined will be recycled and replaced with new islands after a while, so I'm guessing the junk will disappear along with the island.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Huh, if islands are constantly sinking and reemerging from Deep Sky it would give a pretty good reason why players stick to their ships instead of building island bases.

From what I can tell there's not going to be any supported mechanic for building a base. Basically your ship is your base. There's been speculation on intentionally crashing ships onto islands and using the wreckage as an interim base-type deal, but I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Alternatively there's also been speculation on building a floating city of ships without respawners on them, meaning the ships won't disappear when the crew logs out, but I'm not sure how that's going to work in terms of some random passerby coming along and dropping a respawner to steal the city.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

pertinent posted:

Alternatively there's also been speculation on building a floating city of ships without respawners on them, meaning the ships won't disappear when the crew logs out, but I'm not sure how that's going to work in terms of some random passerby coming along and dropping a respawner to steal the city.

Read the thread again and apparently it's only possible to install a respawner on a ship that is docked to a shipyard, so combined with a locking mechanism for the ship controls, floating base cities could be possible.

Also this is the link to the FAQ

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
What it means is instead of the traditional approach of having one big server covering a set geographical area or a set number of zones, they build an architecture that allows a pool of CPUs to have individual tasks delegated to them on demand.

The problem with the traditional approach is when you have too many people for a single server to handle, it just ends up making GBS threads itself. For reference, see any MMO ever. With their "cloud approach" however, you can theoretically just up the number of CPUs available in the CPU pool, and the technology behind the game should figure out on its own where those CPUs are in demand, and delegate tasks as needed.

Google's entire search infrastructure is based on an architecture like this, as are many of the biggest web services today, so it's not new technology per se, but it's definitely new in terms of building a game out of it.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They feel great, but clunky. The swinging is as good as something as Spiderman 2, but it lacks the other vital ingredient that made navigation in that game work: Climbing. As such, it can be a pain getting up the crows nest of a ship, or bits of high groun.

Shift makes you go up, Ctrl makes you go down. Use Shift + W to swing forward really fast, then let the momentum carry you up where you can get a better shot.

Or, when hanging from the rope, if you go all the way up with Shift, you can still use jump to boost yourself up over ledges, even if you're only hanging by one hand. Physics, right?

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Can't argue against it being somewhat counterintuitive, but it's not really difficult to deal with once you get a hang of how the various rope mechanics work.

I think the easiest way to practice is to use the island creator, and create a sphere island with max on everything - noise, randomness, size, etc. This creates a large swiss cheese type ball where you can swing in and out of caves and crevices.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Jackard posted:

Also I don't like how you have to rightclick twice for a new grapple.

Right-click detaches and attaches the hook, yeah, but if you hold down right mouse while attached, it will detach and then let you shoot in any direction you want when releasing right mouse. You don't have to click twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
It wasn't in the latest alpha run, but they've been demonstrating it in a few videos now, so I'm guessing eventually it'll be stable enough to be included in the player client.