Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Happy Sisyphus posted:

is this the new 'power of the cloud'?

Looks more like a parallel/distributed model that just happens to make good use of cloud resources. Given that these sorts of models are a tremendous pain in the rear end to design, then if Improbable's framework works, it could make it way easier to design seamless and complex gameworlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'm reading their website right now, and it looks mostly like a way of keeping your server from choking if it gets too big or has too much happen at once. If it works that is.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'll be honest, I don't usually go for the survival crafting type games, but this is looking legit fun.

Also Dongfleet is totally going to be a thing isn't it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The creator isn't half bad either. I futzed around with it yesterday and made this:

Not the best at sculpting fine detail though. Placement can be a bit finicky too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

thats really cool though

imagine launching a ship out of the palm~

i really like the tree on that ring finger :shobon:

Well, I figured out how the workshop works, so if you want to play around on it, you can get it here.

If you like the finger tree, try standing in the palm in afternoon or sunset. It's very pretty.

If my experiences with people flying in games before mean anything, then people would probably just crash their ships into the fingers if they tried docking there. That's why I put a little landing pad/construction site behind the top wrist.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 17, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hmmm... I can't tell if this one is meant to be a goatse reference or not.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Wow it really is a bad games crew showing.

I wanted a good game tho

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I never liked minecraft. I think I've played it for a grand total of an hour.

This game seems more about being spiderman and crashing dong-planes into meticulously crafted sperg-islands.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

(Although that is just the operating budget and I would probably need to pay the staff unless I was to like chain them down at their desks at gunpoint.)

So you are familiar with running a tech startup.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

randombattle posted:

Are people really implying here that the creators of I Am Bread are not going to put out a quality MMO?

I was thinking about it, and all their games do seem to have something in common, and that's being based around a silly physics engine.

The main gameplay here looks like a mix of silly grappling hook physics, and silly skyboat physics.

I think even Reggin could have a little fun ramming people with his sky phallus.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah is it really that big though? Most of the actual space in the game looks like empty air to fly ships through. Then they have some random gen islands for trees and poo poo, some player made islands for setpieces, and a handful of dev made islands for special poo poo I think.

They're also not doing the normal MMO thing of having levels, skill trees, quests, mob grinding zones, instances, 2^10 types of loot or all that poo poo. So they're not worried about that.

Their ship building system is the only thing that actually looks kind of ambitious, and they put out a video that makes it look like it's in a pretty good place right now.

It might have problems with longevity, but I can see it being fun while it lasts.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

But did no man's sky have me tediously sculpting giant hands for your amusement? I don't think so.

Checkmate atheists.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

Going from single player to massive multiplayer is pretty ambitious.

Yeah and I'd be suspicious if they were just announcing the concept. But they have gameplay videos where I can see the poo poo they have, is real, and exists, and it looks like ambition their team can handle.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh sure, they could still gently caress up their netcode. Or the magic software package they're using for server infrastructure could be a hoax. But honestly that poo poo goes wrong in most loving MMOs I've played, so I always take it for a crapshoot. If they can actually get me on their servers playing the game though, the poo poo they already have there looks fun. That's better than I can say about most of the MMOs in development now.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hey Salt first lesson. If you're going to overuse emojis, at least use the SA ones. We got like, half a million.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yes, behold, the subtle and elegant secret language of goons.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think we can all strive for elegant efficiency in our dongships. Everyone knows it's not size that matters.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

They got teeny feets.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well, if you want a leg up on the launch, you have to get in on the pre-launch, and to really succeed on the pre-launch, you first have to master the pre-pre-launch, and to guarentee access to that...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ooh, they updated the island creator too. I might have to try making something again.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I know the island creator lets you place treasure on your islands now, but I don't think you can place enemies.

A lot of the old islands that made it into the game probably didn't get treasure re-edited into them though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think so? Honestly I've screwed around with the builder but I never got into the tests. The builder definitely has the features that would let them randomly generate islands en masse.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Somehow my island got in the game but I still haven't.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

wow thats rude as h*ck

is it the one with the hand?

Yeah the hand one. I only know because someone commented on the workshop page that they found the island in a test and some of the items were screwy.

It's not the dev's fault though, the account for signing up for the alpha isn't connected to my steam account.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sure I'll take the key. PM me.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I started this island forever ago and just finished. I might tweak it some more but I've used up almost all my polygon budget.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=847498148

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It's not really polish this needs, but tuning. A lot of what's wrong right now is the crunchy infrastructure stuff, like making the graphics and physics engine work right, fixing memory leaks and loading times and database issues.

The game's never going to feel fully polished because it leans so heavily on user content and interaction. What it needs is a solid foundation so all the silly weirdness doesn't get frustrating. If they can nail that though the game will be great.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add territory claims. They seem to be encouraging nomadism, and having home islands like that might contradict that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I dunno. MMOs tend to need long term support from their devs, and this is a smallish team right? Splitting their focus probably isn't a good thing.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Trust me I know, I'm one of the ones doing it for them. But that just lets a small staff sub in for a larger one. That small staff is still going to need to service the thing and help keep it fresh.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Are you sure about that? I could see that for the wilderness islands but not for the more industrialized ones. Those would still be time-consuming.

The community seems to self-vett pretty well so far. Right now it looks like most islands in-game are just the most popular ones on the workshop, probably with a quick pass to make sure they aren't full of dicks and swastikas.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The bugfixes look great. They pretty much addressed all the major issues.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I haven't had a chance to log in yet. How common were the respawners this time?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

So they definitely messed up databank and chest placement this patch.

It's obvious they changed the size of the databanks to be way bigger, but it looks like to compensate for how much that would break a lot of islands, they're also ignoring the set databank placement on most if not all islands, and just placing them randomly, like if the creator hadn't placed any themselves.

I had the suspicion on a few islands, but I was just on an island that I have subscribed to in the island creator, and they were definitely in different spots. The weirdest thing is it looks like they're also using random chest placements too. Don't know why, maybe that's by accident.

So bottom line, don't look for pre-designed places for chests and databanks right now, they're more likely to just be scattered around in the open.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm certain they messed up the chests on the island I checked, and pretty certain about a couple others. I only found one island that looked like it had a hand placed chest, and it didn't have hand placed databanks. Do you remember if there were any obviously placed databanks on the island with the loot rooms? It's possible that the importing system the devs are using first checks for databank spawns, and if it finds any, it removes the chests too... for some reason.

Its also possible they just hosed up the importing in general.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Possibly, or it could be an issue with the island creator itself, which can have issues with that. I haven't seen any seams yet, can you fall through them? If not then it could also be a game client issue.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok, I just read on the official forums where someone is claiming that making your ship out of high conductivity metal makes it take less damage in a storm wall. That seems incredibly stupid, but probably worth trying out I guess.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Noooo don't nerf gliders they were so fun.

Also I don't see anything that makes crewing easier.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh wait, I guess my alpha friend-key doesn't transfer. Welp, sorry game, those patch notes aren't worth 35 bucks. Maybe when you're finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

forge posted:

It seems there were just hundreds of dead ships at the bottom of the world causing the lag before. He told me that they were manually removing

That's on par with WoW using invisible rabbits for their quest triggers. There's no way that should have been so hard to fix.