Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Anyone here in the Alpha? It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah the game's pretty drat cool. Hopefully when it opens up we can make some big ships and fly around together, it's a gorgeous game with great swinging and aerial combat. And there might be a flag of Gaben that you can place down.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I don't believe it's a gimmick. It's just a DayZ-esque game with airships and grappling hooks.

You explore a large world and shoot other people. Every mechanic currently in the game feeds into a core gameplay loop, that of gathering resources, building and improving a ship, exploring, and occasionally fighting. If that's what you're into then you'll love this game. If not, then you won't, simple as that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Must be an absolute bitch to develop for though. I've tried writing bad normal netcode, both peer-to-peer and client-server, and it barely worked half the time. Imagine what kind of magic it takes to make this nonsense actually work at all.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Any of you got in the new Alpha? There are creatures, crew and weather now, which is pretty swell!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Jackard posted:

How are the movement controls in the actual game? Island creator feels kind of awkward.

They feel great, but clunky. The swinging is as good as something as Spiderman 2, but it lacks the other vital ingredient that made navigation in that game work: Climbing. As such, it can be a pain getting up the crows nest of a ship, or bits of high groun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

pertinent posted:

Shift makes you go up, Ctrl makes you go down. Use Shift + W to swing forward really fast, then let the momentum carry you up where you can get a better shot.

Or, when hanging from the rope, if you go all the way up with Shift, you can still use jump to boost yourself up over ledges, even if you're only hanging by one hand. Physics, right?

Still clunky as heck to climb. It feels like the Skyrim and Oblivion solution of jump at the thing and hope for the best.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

randombattle posted:

Yeah there's no way what a developer says could end up not turning out right.

As someone who's played the alphas, it works but it's fairly dull solo. It's a good foundation to stand on I think.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Who all is in the upcoming playtest aside from me?

I'm in and I should have at least one spare key maybe.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm also in the discord, same name as here, might pop on one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm glad they added those later, so that now there's far more standard islands and the trapped islands will be in the minority.