Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i will download and play this game once its out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

When we were goonrushing archeage I realised that the only fun thing about that game was gliding through the air with aerial physics. I remember thinking that someone should go make a whole game around gliding and flying. So stoked, think I'll spend too much time on this

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

pertinent posted:

What it means is instead of the traditional approach of having one big server covering a set geographical area or a set number of zones, they build an architecture that allows a pool of CPUs to have individual tasks delegated to them on demand.

The problem with the traditional approach is when you have too many people for a single server to handle, it just ends up making GBS threads itself. For reference, see any MMO ever. With their "cloud approach" however, you can theoretically just up the number of CPUs available in the CPU pool, and the technology behind the game should figure out on its own where those CPUs are in demand, and delegate tasks as needed.

Google's entire search infrastructure is based on an architecture like this, as are many of the biggest web services today, so it's not new technology per se, but it's definitely new in terms of building a game out of it.

i'm getting a boner just thinking about it lets hope it doesn't go bust

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

This thread needs to die.