Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
joined discord, same name as here.

edit: key obtained.

forge fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Despite the really alpha state of the game I had quite a bit of fun on our airship. Game at least brings some unique fun to the table rather than the same old poo poo.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I've been completely engrossed in this game. They clearly need to optimize it at some point.. But the fun is off the charts.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
LG remember those 2 [XBD] guys we found on the island cluster and pulled their ship off the side..

So me, Derrio, and Moikki are on Arrakis yesterday. We are building a ship and this dude named Dan shows up.

Exact interaction..
A random wing falls out the sky and crashes about 100 yards away, no idea why.

2 minutes later

*Dan runs up to us from some distance
Dan: So you are Forge..
Forge: Hi
Dan: Some people are looking for you
Forge: why
Dan: They said you attacked them and their looking to kill you
Dan: They blew up my ship because they thought I was you
Dan: What did you do to them
Forge: No idea
Forge: Who were they?
Dan: XBD something
Dan: What does your ship look like because they thought I was you for some reason
Forge: It's a viking ship
Dan: Hmm mine looks like a speed boat
:Worlds Adrift:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
After reading that update, WOW. That is probably the exact list of what currently plagues us when we play the game. If they can manage to fix those then the game will be pretty solid. It's also interesting that they are just removing the salvaging of parts currently but it will be put back in after it gets tuned. So at least they are sticking to the sandbox guns and not giving in to everyone complaining about griefing. On the flip side at least we'll get some use out of cannons.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I auto piloted through a wind wall last night. Autopilot is basically already in the game. Formations are dumb and they should never be. Just drive your boat. Really the only people who need formations are pubbies so they can be screaming at other pubbies about what to do and how to fly.

I'm telling you now after seeing the poo poo posted on the public forums.. Each pubbie ship will require the "captain" position. Someone said the other day they were posting about starting their own in game government.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Jackard posted:

Leaving the the helm on "forward" isn't really the same thing as autopilot though

Same reason I don't expect them to ever add an official map

This game is so much better for not having autopilot and a ingame map. Jesus the most fun I've had in years has been this last 2 weeks? Exploring and stuff. Mapping stuff ourselves etc. Islands need to continue change on a semi regular basis, aka major updates, or major releases for content. This way things stay fresh.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Actually that would be really cool if each day islands sunk lower altitude. Then newer ones showed up at higher altitudes. This way the world changes non stop but it's not knee jerk.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So the new go to tactic is building the skiff and attaching a gun to it before the ship in question can take off. Start with the gun.. and have shells in had. Build the skiff and attach the gun. Load the shells and begin bombardment. Total time about 1min. Takes about 450 metal depending on if your cannon is exceptional and 100 wood. You should already have the assembly and shipyard equipped and prebuilt before engaging.

I got off about 5 shots before they really figured out wtf was going on. I also did the same thing and some big battleship ran. Then it decided it was going to turn on my skiff with 1 sail and 1 gun. They ultimately lost that battle since they had a cannon mounted in the rear top of the ship. So I took control of it and fired down through the hull. I got off about 3 rounds before they killed me. As I respawned I could see engines and plating falling. At that point they got so worried they decided the wind wall was the best place to run and hide.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I at first was thinking the same thing. But then if it's one thing we know.. its that companies who make only one mmo game will typically crash and burn. So it might be smart on their part to continually have a revenue stream coming in. Plus I think most of the assets are done on WA. Networking coding however is not.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So we are still a couple weeks out from 6.0 release. This should have the following fixes below [planned].

Ghost players,” and getting constantly reset to your ghost player when you log in
Cannon shells rubberbanding (often wrecking your own ship)
Stuttering/hanging when loading islands, throwing you off the ship
Perpetual hanging (with the loading circle) when loading into the revival chamber, which seems to have returned
Another returning bug, islands disappearing suddenly out from under you
Placing parts on the hull of the ship eventually degrades your framerate, often to 1 or worse
Sometimes parts placed on a ship appear on your screen somewhere way off in the distance, even though on the server they’re in the correct spot
This one doesn’t really belong on a list of bugs, but it’s important enough to mention here: Random respawns will finally be fully implemented and work as intended, which is as a last resort when being spawn camped, rather than a way to bypass building ships.

I was able to talk with the devs a bit this morning and got some interesting feedback. Basically it was rather reassuring that two of the major issues can be resolved.

Bossa Kirk: We don't have an exact date for Alpha 6.0 yet it's still a few weeks away at least. When we know more we'll let you guys know too.

[9:41 AM] Bossa Kirk: @forge As in ships bouncing when docked? Or are you referring to something else?
[9:41 AM] forge: yes, it almost seems like the client/server isn't updated on where we are
[9:41 AM] forge: and the generally jerkiness of some areas
[9:41 AM] OliverAge24: when flying around?
[9:41 AM] forge: i was interested in the cause from a technical point of view
[9:42 AM] forge: im talking about when flying etc
[9:42 AM] OliverAge24: I think it's to do with the dead reckoning
[9:42 AM] forge: well that's already over my head
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: well, the dead reckoning should hopefully fix it lol
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: from what I've heard the developers say, the movements are all validated by the server
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: so the stuttering is the difference between the physics that are calculated locally and the server ones
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: and then they re-sync
[9:44 AM] OliverAge24: which is why it stutters
[9:44 AM] forge: gotcha
[9:44 AM] forge: thanks!
[9:44 AM] OliverAge24: and then dead reckoning - I think is the process of calculating / estimating it better, so that it feels much more smooth
[9:44 AM] OliverAge24: but one of the developers could explain it way better lol

TK-313: I'm curious about everything flying (ships, mantas, bugs etc) moving in jerks sometimes. Does the environment like mantas get the same calculate-on-client, validate-by-server treatment then?
[9:47 AM] OliverAge24: oh so that happens when a particular fsim starts acting up
[9:47 AM] OliverAge24: the fsims are servers that deal with all of the physics

Almost struct gold here..
[9:44 AM] forge: i know me and many others will be very impressed if you guys resolve half the remaining issues in Herbs post on the forums
] forge: those are quite a few bugs which have alot of impact
[9:45 AM] forge: i figured they wouldn't all be fixed for 6.0
[9:45 AM] OliverAge24: do you have a link to the post?
[9:45 AM] forge: umm let me find it
Bossa Kirk: @OliverAge24 Are you feeling ok buddy? You're in danger of providing serious answers here.
[9:48 AM] forge: ^
[9:48 AM] OliverAge24: lol It's too cold in the office, I can't think of anything trollish to say

He then sorta dodged that as I guess spilling the beans on exactly all the fixes might be either a bit much, or over extending..
[9:53 AM] OliverAge24: yeah there's loads of optimisations to come and bugs that aren't on herb's forum post

It was good to see them being active and actually providing answers which is a good sign. Along with the information above seems to show they have a good grasp of what the causes are and how they can likely resolve them. So its looking like those might actually be fixed in 6.0, which I'm guessing will be targeted for around March 1st. 6.0 Will bring in biomes, more player population areas because of starting locations, etc. These fixes and probably a public Steam early access if the targeted "Q1 17 EA release" remains on schedule. Which from what I see above, etc doesn't show any reason that it currently would not be.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Many good things in the stream today which was a preview of 6.0 alpha. Check discord for specifics. New alpha invites will come with this as well. ETA soonish likely 3/1 from what was said about it being in the final stages for bug fixing.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
No 6.0 this weekend. Steam keys go out next week which will also likely be the start of 6.0 on Wed/Fri. HYPED

forge
Feb 26, 2006
[6:54 AM] Bossa Oli: If all goes well, we should have a release date for the next alpha test 6.0 at some point this week.
[6:54 AM] Bossa Oli: Getting there :smiley:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
from the worlds adrift twitter "6.0 will be announced later than expected to fix extra bugs"

Also this:
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/the-skies-ahead-of-us/

forge
Feb 26, 2006
When you first login the loading is very minimal. So at least it seems they will someday be able to solve that. You also don't get thrown around nearly as much on the ships. So all good stuff so far.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Some good news

Eternz: a priority is to get the island transitions to instant, it's definitely possible its just a matter of working through the issues

forge
Feb 26, 2006
There was lag between island loading still as it's not completely optimized. It was certainly less than last alpha. Currently if you logged out and back in you could resolve almost all the loading issues for a short while. I saw a dev talk about the loading issues with islands and they were sure they could 100% eliminate it. It was just a matter of time with fine tuning and optimization. Which is reassuring since that is currently one of the biggest issues holding a lot of people back.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Beta hits today at 1pm EST, 10am PST on steam for those interested.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The game is basically a falling to death simulator. It happens when you least expect it.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Get in discord (link in OP) if you want to play with us.

Full Patch Notes
Welcome to our Closed Beta! As part of the transition from Alpha to Beta, the flow for starting the game has been updated, including a login to a Worlds Adrift account and the creation of your first character.
As part of character creation, players can customise their character’s face, colouring, and starting clothing. Goodbye, blonde pixie cut clone army!
Founder’s rewards are now available in game.
Almost everything in the game is now scannable and provides Knowledge the first time it is scanned.
The inventory now has a Belt section, for items the player wants to keep through death. This means that equipped items are no longer automatically kept through death.
The Stash, for undroppable cosmetics like the Founder’s Headscarf, has been implemented.
New on-screen prompts and tutorials will display for the first few hours of gameplay. This is a work in progress.
Ship parts, except panels, can no longer be placed so they overlap and occupy the same space.
Docked shipframes, if bare, can be salvaged for part of their crafting cost. This is accessed from the shipyard.
Shipyards are more obviously salvageable now, and players will receive a message if a shipyard they have access to takes damage.
Players are now able to find schematics for new atlas skycore upgrades. Take care of your core room, travellers!
Procedural engines, cannons, and wings now have their art and their new names determined by their stats.
Lots more procedural engines, cannons, and wings are now available in the game!
Islands now have multiple revival chambers.
Different trees provide different types of wood now.
Shipcores and engines can now only lift you to a certain altitude.
Certain weather features in the world are too strong for any ship to bypass. These now appear at the edges of the current world map. If heeded, explorers should no longer lose their ships heading into the unknown.
Eggs is no longer fuel. Eggs is just eggs. Fuel is now fuel.
Objects sinking into the ground will now become mossy or covered in sand, depending on the biome.
Much more lore is now discoverable in the ruins. Collect them in your Codex and piece together the story of Foundation.
Different biomes will play different music now!
New visual effects! New icons! New grappling hook! New sound effects!

NOTABLE BUGFIXES
Additional optimizations have been implemented to reduce client freezing when approaching a new island. This an ongoing area of improvement.
Loose objects on and around ships, like newly-broken ship parts, now behave significantly better. This is another ongoing area of improvement.
Dying before passing fully through a weather barrier will no longer allow you to respawn in the new zone.
Creature corpses will now deteriorate and disappear after some time.
Saborian databanks on islands are now appearing where they were placed in the Island Creator.
Players should no longer ever enter an invincibility state where bullets pass through them.
Creatures should much more rarely get stuck in mid-air.
Ships would occasionally not log out fully, leaving only the frame and a handful of parts floating in the world. This has been fixed.
It is no longer possible to summon troll physics by pushing a ship forward while standing on it.
Pulling physical objects with the grappling hook should be much more responsive again.
Weather animation should no longer become permanently choppy.
Numerous bugs relating to designing shipframes on the shipyard have been fixed.
Numerous bugs with male animations and poses have been fixed.
Numerous UI bugs have been fixed.
The game should no longer crash when exiting.

NOTABLE BALANCE CHANGES
The world map has been updated - much more of it is Wilderness now.
The glider has been nerfed. (Sorry.) It is now working as originally intended, for gliding over short distances. It also drops upon death.
Ship and shipyard ownership mechanics have evolved: Having a personal reviver on a ship is now more formally recognized as ownership of the ship; without ownership, any interactive ship part on an undocked ship (helms, containers, reviver, etc.) require an extra delay to use.
On docked ships, interactive ship parts require access to the shipyard.
Timed explosives no longer stack in the inventory.
Sails have been buffed.
Cannon overheat calculations have been overhauled.

KNOWN ISSUES & WORKAROUNDS
If you exit character creation without entering the world your character will not be assigned to a deployment. To fix this delete your character, make a new one and be sure to click play and enter the game.
When flying from one island to another, characters standing on ships may be unstable, even occasionally getting thrown off. It may be best to quickly grapple to the ship if you experience these stutters.
Tools (e.g., pistols, scanner) held by other players are showing themselves at an incorrect position.
Climbing on very bent ship panels, or in spaces the character normally can’t enter, will do serious damage to the player: Avoid these for now.
Some on-screen prompts (refuelling, picking up atlas shards, etc.) are failing to display or are behaving incorrectly.
Flight instruments (fuel gauge, altimeter, etc.) currently cannot be attached on all surfaces that should allow attachment.
After reaching the max height of the world, ships will be dropped suddenly.
This should be smoothed out in a future update.
Logging in onto a moving ship may result in the ship having moved out from under the character by the time the character loads in.
Docking a ship you don’t own to a shipyard you don’t own will result in the player being unable to release the helm: Restarting the client will place your character next to the helm.
The moustache is not appearing correctly on characters.
WiFi may incur problems: Best played on an ethernet connection for now.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Lustwaffle
51 products in account
1 review

Not Recommended
0.2 hrs on record
EARLY ACCESS REVIEW POSTED: MAY 24
I just bought the closed beta bronze package. It fired right up, had great performance but unfortunately there is no invert mouse option. I tried to play it 'upside down' for a few minutes and it was just too wrong. I requested a refund and will revisit in a month or two.

This is a paid alpha, not a beta. Far from feature complete.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Use Server: EU

There is a US west option but EU has better population and is within about 50ms or so on a crappy connection because of google cloud platform. We'll be playing on EU for now unless something changes. Plus all the mods and devs are on EU so griefing will be better there.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Official Server is now US server.

I was confirmed to have a much higher population around all time zones. Delete your characters and recreate on US if you want to play with us.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It's been known to be closed beta for a while. So no surprise to anyone following the game actively. They will gradually release more keys in ongoing efforts.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I'm sad that more people aren't playing this game. This is the game that was basically made for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1id8zzyyok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldpxich-9_w

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

still tracking this, might pick up the beta next month

kinda want some optimization first imo

I'm totally there with you. Alpha the load was pretty severe. Currently if you log out after about 3-4 hours and restart the client there is virtually no loading times on islands. Which is incredible as you know how it used to be. I was pretty much unsure they could actually fix that. But with some more memory leak fixes and some teaks it's basically good atm, and will be 100% fixed later in beta. Pretty hyped about that.

ALSO for others [10:20 AM] OliverAge24 (New Keys = Soon™): 3-4 months of closed beta

I'll try and update the thread when I find out when the sale is.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
[11:19 AM] OliverAge24 (New Keys = Soon™): and Tom found a memory leak in the lighting system
[11:19 AM] OliverAge24 (New Keys = Soon™): which has been fixed for the next update to the game

Also confirmed more keys soon. I don't have the exact ETA. Expect this Wednesday 9-7pm UK time.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Oliver just gave some keys away this morning but you need to hang in chat.. and that doesn't always happen. He's also a decent troll because one of the keys was for train mechanic simulator 2017 and not WA lol.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Join the discord, I don't see your name in the list. We hang out in chat, just join in.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
[9:47 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): lol :neutral_face:
[9:47 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): soon
[9:47 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): very soon

[9:48 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): well, friday we stopped selling keys
[9:48 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): den it was the weekend
[9:48 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): den it was bank holiday monday

9:49 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): now is wednesday
[9:49 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): :stuck_out_tongue:
[9:49 AM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): is coming very soon

Sounds like later today, or tomorrow, friday at latest. I'll post when their up so people can grab them. I'll put a message in discords as well.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
This game really is the best now that its way more playable. It's actually what you would expect from a beta at this point..

ALSO

[12:35 PM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): it won't be today so don't press f5 today
[12:35 PM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): but it'll be very soon, so I'll tell you when to start pressing f5 in advance
[12:59 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): no update with the next batch of keys
[12:59 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): because next batch of keys coming very soon
[12:59 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): update not coming so very soon
[1:00 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): the servers will be more stable and be capable of holding more people yes

Basically reading between the lines there is an issue removing old ships which is what caused the lag when loading islands. It's all the physics engine calculating ships and hulls, etc. It seems there were just hundreds of dead ships at the bottom of the world causing the lag before. He told me that they were manually removing them and they are currently working on an automated process. So this pretty much tells me as soon as thats done so dead ships are deleted at maintenance, the new keys will be out because hundreds of people building new ships in the noob area would just cause that issue again. So I'd put money on that's what were going to get soon as a fix, and then the keys will release because the servers won't degrade after 3 days and thousands of ship wrecks.

On the flip side, some of us are in revenants where very few people have been or lost ships, and the islands load very quickly with basically no lag.

forge fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 31, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Yep you beat me to it Fallout.

The response we’ve had to the game has been overwhelmingly amazing and we want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who’s made it such a success!
We’ve been hard at work improving server performance to increase player experience and we’re currently working on a long term solution!

As a Thank You we’ve got a small batch of keys ready for release at 6PM BST / 7PM CEST / 9AM PST / It is a small batch, so expect them to go fast!

We’ll see you in the skies!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/322780/Worlds_Adrift/

Oliver linked his key countdown here.. https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/halloween?iso=20170601T18&p0=136&msg=MORE+KEYS+FOR+WORLDS+ADRIFT+LOL&font=hand&csz=1

[6:51 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: there's currently no way to upgrade packs
[6:51 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: you gotta choose carefully
[6:52 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: you can see the differences between packs here: https://www.worldsadrift.com/founders/

[7:00 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Wanderer tier for £26.99 / €31.99 / $34.99
Explorer tier for £39.99 / 50.99 / $54.99
Captain tier for £49.99 / €59.99 / $64.99

forge fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 1, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Don't you have two ao accounts? I mean just saying.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Beta's actually been quite good so far. The game is at least worth the 35 pack. I can't help that all of you guys wasted your money on horribad mmos like STAR CITIZEN, AA, blacksuck, blade and oil or whatever nonese, terrawhatever.. Basically don't buy another korean mmo ever again and you'll easily be on your way to retirement while stick picking up actual good games like this.

It's a sandbox mmo with full pvp and tons of pubbies now to torment. It's made by devs with a clear vision and a good track record. So far they have consistently delivered what they say. They are also very open with the community on the happenings of the game.

That said this could be a game that gets played for a long so if you want to wait until release so it's all new and shiny, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you want to drop ship panels on pubbies to kill them and steal all their poo poo. Well nothings holding you back.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
They added the belt pack in because losing 100% of items was too much. And the belt works extremely well and forces you to make calls on whats important to you. Its a good design and I would highly doubt this will change. The devs are making a game and we are along for the ride.. VS AO where the players are making a game that the devs create.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Their time was listed incorrectly for PST. Use the timer.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/halloween?iso=20170601T18&p0=136&msg=MORE+KEYS+FOR+WORLDS+ADRIFT+LOL&font=hand&csz=1

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Cloudflare is making GBS threads a brick currently and they have flagged what looks like ddos protection LOL. I guess not very many people want to play this lovely game.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
There are currently memory leaks, which will require a restart after a few hours. If you fail to do this then you will of course face load times. If you log out the memory is cleared on your pc and you face basically no load time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006

TheRagamuffin posted:

Not just load times, but apps on your PC will start to crash as your system gradually uses up all it's memory. At 8GB I was able to play for about 2 hours before things started to catch fire.

I know there is that lighting bug, but that doesn't seem to be going on all the time. I stayed in game for something like 8 hours straight while at work to test. I only used up 3.2gigs solid all day, but I didn't go island to island. So I think that's whats doing it as you load different islands you don't clear out all the goods when you leave it. Thus the required restart depending on HOW fast you are at clearing out islands, or how far you're moving around in the game.