Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I highly, highly recommend that you clean out all of your stuff in the garage, acid wash the floors, pressure wash it and then coat the floor in epoxy. It makes cleanup a breeze. I would also recommend that if you do epoxy the floor that you use an anti-skid media.

Hosting is mine.

I went with Legacy Industrial's 2 part epoxy and their coarse soft skid media.

Legacy Industrial is good poo poo. I wish I had the cash to do it when I moved in, I could conceviably do it now, but the floor needs to be shotblasted due to oil stains. It would be a several week process, and I really can't just empty it without having a shipping container dropped off for me to fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How bad is the floor? This is not new construction. This place was built between 68 and 73. The floor had oil staining, but it mostly came up after a sulfuric acid wash.
Wrar, I'm sorry for hijacking. I can back off if you would like.
It's bad enough, and it's had sealant either spilled or applied in places. loving PO's. I sent a bunch of emails back and forth with a couple of epoxy MFR's, and they all basically said that it needs to be reprofiled.

Wrar posted:

Naw man. Epoxy floor is next on the list and this discussion is 100% relevant to my interest.
I keep doing this, but hit up the GarageJournal's flooring section: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Larrymer posted:

My floor was epoxied which I thought was sweet when we bought the house. It's cracking and the added pressure of a floor jack cracks it. Chunks of epoxy and concrete sometimes come up so it wasn't applied properly or the slab is hosed. :( I really need to remove all that poo poo and throw racedeck tiles on it. It's also not really level at the door on one side so water pools up and freezes in the winter.

loving PO's, man.
If the concrete is coming up, it's not the epoxy, it's the slab. If the epoxy is peeling, then it's the application/product. That sucks. RaceDeck is nice, but spendy. If the floor is that out of level, you might want to bite the bullet and have it fixed properly, which would let you do either epoxy or tile.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

Ok, but what am I looking for? The sticky thread is 7 pages long and not exactly up to date.

Read a bunch, message a few suppliers with pictures of your floor, what you want, and whatnot. It's a big forum with a ton of information and good people. A single thread isn't going to be one-and-done.

Anyhow, for UV exposure, you can coat the epoxy with a UV blocking topcoat, or skip epoxy and go with another coating system.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

adorai posted:

the secret to being able to keep all your junk in the garage and still park two cars in it is to get a 3 car garage 2-car garage and a 30x60 outbuilding.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

Ugh, I probably should take some pictures. I've got the subframe apart, a new fuel tank has been ordered, I've got the end links replaced for the lower rear control arms. Temperature is finally dropping so I can be in the garage without dying for extended periods of time. My wife has been sick so I've been spending more couch time with her than in the garage, too.

Watching Stranger Things?

• Locked thread