Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I highly, highly recommend that you clean out all of your stuff in the garage, acid wash the floors, pressure wash it and then coat the floor in epoxy. It makes cleanup a breeze. I would also recommend that if you do epoxy the floor that you use an anti-skid media.

Hosting is mine.

I went with Legacy Industrial's 2 part epoxy and their coarse soft skid media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, I want to epoxy my floor and paint my walls so drat bad, but cleaning my poo poo out would be a loving NIGHTMARE. I'm jealous.

That was the first thing I did when I moved into the house. Unloaded everything into the garage. Moved all the furniture inside, then moved everything else into the living room so I could unpack and start doing the garage.

I've since painted the garage, doors, trim work, and hung additional lighting.

blindjoe posted:

I did the same thing, with the Tremclad (?) kit from home depot.
It is the best thing I did with the garage.
Holds up against oil, engine hoists (gets a little scratched up when dragging the wheels, but rolling is fine) and other paints.

I've had two spots flake that were dime sized. One of them was over a spot on the floor that never looked right and the other was an area over a chipped piece of concrete. I'm very happy so far.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

sharkytm posted:

Legacy Industrial is good poo poo. I wish I had the cash to do it when I moved in, I could conceviably do it now, but the floor needs to be shotblasted due to oil stains. It would be a several week process, and I really can't just empty it without having a shipping container dropped off for me to fill.

How bad is the floor? This is not new construction. This place was built between 68 and 73. The floor had oil staining, but it mostly came up after a sulfuric acid wash.

Wrar, I'm sorry for hijacking. I can back off if you would like.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Sharkytm is right about hitting up Garage Journal. That's where I found out about Legacy Industrial. I think I emailed the rep from contact information he has in his signature. We talked back and forth about my scenario and he made product suggestions based on what I told him and how I said I was planning on prepping the floor.

Leica, I've read you shouldn't do it outdoors because the UV breaks down the epoxy over time. So it would probably work on a carport until it flakes up from UV exposure. Recoating something like that would probably require you to grind down the concrete to a bare surface in order for a recoat to stick.

Wrar, I really, really suggest using the grip additive. I have a friend in Houston that did his floors and didn't use it. When the weather conditions are right he says the humid air + cool slab = super slick. To the point he wont be able to use it until the a/c dries the air out.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

Well, poo poo. It's been 16 months. I was sweeping the floors today and the epoxy bubbled up. No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
You broke it off? Ouch.

• Locked thread