Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you about this debate?
Exhausted
Lethargic
Despairing
Perky and cheerful and ready to go!
View Results

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hillary is literally insane if she really thinks the gun manufacturers should be sued for someone legally obtaining a gun and shooting someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
The gun manufacturer accountability thing doesn't make sense to me legally. How are you going to get a case like that through the courts?

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
Hillary Rodham Clinton honestly believes she's going to win an election by pointing her finger at the American people and saying "now you guys have to think very, very carefully when you vote about the consequences of your actions! Clearly you don't really know what you want, but that's ok because I do, and it's more global economic policies peppered with a smattering of identity politics and gun control. Vote for me!"

edit: sorry, didn't know there was a word filter on that

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tigntink posted:

Hillary is literally insane if she really thinks the gun manufacturers should be sued for someone legally obtaining a gun and shooting someone.

It's almost like the lawyer in her just wants to get money from someone, regardless of who's at fault

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Brought up the mothers of people killed by cops who are there to support her tonight while discussing the "culpability" of gun manufacturers.

May as well alienate law enforcement while I'm at it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Which ever way the wind blows, Hillary.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Tigntink posted:

Also how would this stop people from using guns to kill? Gun manufacturers are going to dictate policy to gun dealers on who they can sell to?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Gun manufacturers are terrible and I honestly don't care what we do to them.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Roger Craig posted:

Also how would this stop people from using guns to kill? Gun manufacturers are going to dictate policy to gun dealers on who the can sell to?

It's not.

It is a great (lovely) way to dodge Vashitta's question regarding how she will stop gang violence in the community.

"Sue the gun manufacturers! That will end crime and the causes of people joining gangs and committing crimes!"

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Roger Craig posted:

Also how would this stop people from using guns to kill? Gun manufacturers are going to dictate policy to gun dealers on who they can sell to?

SURGEON GENERALS WARNING: Projectile bullets as a result of utilizing this firearm while pointed in the direction of another human being or animal may result in severe harm or death to the other organism.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Fidel Castronaut posted:

If you create bad legislation that gets thrown out in the courts then you have less power over them in the future.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Hillary wants to make guns pretty much impossible to manufacture and sell which is okay with me

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

sue gun manufacturers execute the domestic terrorists who use those guns

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I have no disagreement but there is reality we have to consider. People talk about free University and health care as magical thinking but I find Hillary to be far more outside reality. Americans loving love guns more than apple pie. America makes tons of money selling guns overseas.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

passionate dongs posted:

Hillary wants to make guns pretty much impossible to manufacture and sell which is okay with me

And which will never happen.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Except this lawsuit that Hillary supports would barely hurt them and would just put a bunch of small business gun stores out of business that would get snapped up by the big gun manufacturers and give them record profits and less competition

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

there are some kwastyuns

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
These townhalls loving suck.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hillary is definitely outside reality on this gun manufacturer bullshit. But no loving way she's generally less practical than Bernie on many of these issues. She's definitely not as progressive, but she never pretended to be. Bernie on the other hand fully intended to shift the narrative and move Hillary to the left, and he has. It'll be interesting to see if he can actually win the nomination, but he is less practical. Further, we're all outside of reality if we think either one is going to get most of what they advocate actually accomplished.

Case in point, my question about Bernies trade position that went fully ignored by every Bernie supporter in this tread that came out of the woodwork the moment Hillary took the stage (seriously, the thread grew by 400% since he left).

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Count Freebasie posted:

And which will never happen.

most things said by Bernie or Hillary tonight won't happen

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

If you don't like campaigning for things then PRESIDENT is the wrong job for you, sorry.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

Bernie on the other hand fully intended to shift the narrative and move Hillary to the left, and he has.

Only slightly

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I mostly feel hopeless about our gun culture ever changing or any meaningful legislature being passed so all I really have for solace is sharp anti-gun rhetoric, despite it not doing anything.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

hillary is just a mess

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Boon posted:

She's definitely not as progressive, but she never pretended to be. Bernie on the other hand fully intended to shift the narrative and move Hillary to the left, and he has.

If you aren't expecting a hard swing to the center-right once she's got the nom locked up then I've got some bad news.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Boon posted:

Bernie on the other hand fully intended to shift the narrative and move Hillary to the left, and he has.

Too bad there's absolutely no reason to believe she wouldn't run hard to the right as soon as the Primary were to end and become another Margaret Thatcher even if she were to survive the General, which she probably wouldn't.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jarofpiss posted:

hillary is just a mess

It looks like she's been punching walls and not sleeping since the Nancy Reagan gaffe

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Clinton is going to be president of the United States

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tercio posted:

If you aren't expecting a hard swing to the center-right once she's got the nom locked up then I've got some bad news.

Okay, that's certainly possible... I get that Bernie will likely remain true to his word on a lot of what he says (though we said the same of Obama 7 years ago), but if you aren't expecting him to get very little accomplished, I have some bad news for you. My problem with this thread is that both of these candidates are extremely similar on their positions. It's how they approach them that varies here and there. Yet this thread is the equivalent of a general thread and it's very odd to me.

Deep Hurting posted:

Too bad there's absolutely no reason to believe she wouldn't run hard to the right as soon as the Primary were to end and become another Margaret Thatcher even if she were to survive the General, which she probably wouldn't.

You're literallyfiguratively talking out of your rear end.

Boon has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Mar 14, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

passionate dongs posted:

George Clinton 2020

Gotta get that funk

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

The Clinton/Trump debates will be absolutely loving phenomenal and set viewing records. It will be legendary.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Count Freebasie posted:

The Clinton/Trump debates will be absolutely loving phenomenal and set viewing records. It will be legendary.

i'm against public executions and won't be tuning in

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Boon posted:

Okay, that's certainly possible... I get that Bernie will likely remain true to his word on a lot of what he says (though we said the same of Obama 7 years ago), but if you aren't expecting him to get very little accomplished, I have some bad news for you.

Neither Democratic candidate will get much accomplished. See: the past eight years. The best shot we have at the moment is to change the narrative; to present a case in terms of policies and proposals. I have no reason whatsoever to believe Clinton will genuinely put these kinds of things forward as a nominee. I have every reason to believe Bernie will, period.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tercio posted:

Neither Democratic candidate will get much accomplished. See: the past eight years. The best shot we have at the moment is to change the narrative; to present a case in terms of policies and proposals. I have no reason whatsoever to believe Clinton will genuinely put these kinds of things forward as a nominee. I have every reason to believe Bernie will, period.

Great - start at the state and local level. Don't pound your head against a wall at the federal level, get nothing accomplished, and expect the nation to vote for your interests again. Bernie's biggest value is opening the conversation, not carrying out it and letting it fail for reasons outside his control.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Boon posted:

Great - start at the state and local level. Don't pound your head against a wall at the federal level and expect the nation to vote for your interests again.

I completely 100% agree. But none of this refutes my point about Hillary.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Boon posted:

Okay, that's certainly possible... I get that Bernie will likely remain true to his word on a lot of what he says (though we said the same of Obama 7 years ago), but if you aren't expecting him to get very little accomplished, I have some bad news for you.

My problem with this thread is that both of these candidates are extremely similar on their positions. It's how the approach them that varies here and there. Yet this thread is the equivalent of a general thread and it's very odd to me.

If you expect Republican opposition with both why not go with the person who's policies are more radical so when an enviable compromise is made you end up with more overall? If you go in fighting for $15 an hour you're more likely to get $12 an hour than by starting at $12.

I agree that little overall could be done, but why compromise this soon?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

EugeneJ posted:

George Clinton 2020

Gotta get that funk

America doesn't have a parliamentary government

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VR Native American posted:

If you expect Republican opposition with both why not go with the person who's policies are more radical so when an enviable compromise is made you end up with more overall? If you go in fighting for $15 an hour you're more likely to get $12 an hour than by starting at $12.

Check my edit on that original post.

I don't believe that the federal level has EVER moved quickly. I don't believe that the federal level provides a basis for progressive policy without decades of work at the regional levels or some kind of trigger moment. The Great Recession, The Great Depression, Pearl Harbor, 9/11 - those things cause rapid change. Even revolutions, however, were preceded by decades of strife.

I think Bernie sticking true to his principles as president and failing because of reality only hurts his policy goals.

Boon has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Mar 14, 2016

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

VR Native American posted:

Bernie is not capable of productive compromise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

passionate dongs posted:

Sometime in September this is going to be Hillary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7QP9Zqge4s

• Locked thread