Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Just picked this up, really fun game so far. I'm stuck on the Mad Alchemist now. How the gently caress are you supposed to survive his lightning attack? When he hits ~30% he just keeps doing that attack several times in a row :(.

Edit: Oh, you can block elemental poo poo. That makes the fight trivial.

Edit2: So if you die from poison (after the source of the poison is dead) and if there are no other monsters around you just lose your salt?

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Popelmon posted:

Just picked this up, really fun game so far. I'm stuck on the Mad Alchemist now. How the gently caress are you supposed to survive his lightning attack? When he hits ~30% he just keeps doing that attack several times in a row :(.

Edit2: So if you die from poison (after the source of the poison is dead) and if there are no other monsters around you just lose your salt?

If you die from something that isn't a monster a special salt ghost monster should spawn at that place to hold your salt.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Popelmon posted:

It... depends. It's not always a matter of poison but some enemies do wind up killing themselves and yourself in the process (I think those slimes in that one foresty area by the Mad Alchemist do one such attack). In such cases, yes you will lose your salt although the game will tell you otherwise. It's happened to me several times in the PS4 version and it was such a pain in the rear end.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

NT Plus posted:

It... depends. It's not always a matter of poison but some enemies do wind up killing themselves and yourself in the process (I think those slimes in that one foresty area by the Mad Alchemist do one such attack). In such cases, yes you will lose your salt although the game will tell you otherwise. It's happened to me several times in the PS4 version and it was such a pain in the rear end.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Cost me the Alchemist reward salt :(.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Popelmon posted:

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Cost me the Alchemist reward salt :(.

It's just like a Souls game. The salt is ultimately trivial.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fuzz posted:

There are several guns later on that just poo poo out damage, including the Gunsword which requires skill in both Firearms and Swords, but is HILARIOUS with the right buffs and ammo. It's also one of two weapons in the game that lets you retain an offhand ranged attack while still being able to equip a Charm. The Charm also buffs the projectiles... :getin:

Welp, I guess I know what my next build is.

What buffs would you recommend in this case? Or are we just talking using Pages with the appropriate elemental damage types?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Fuzz posted:

It's just like a Souls game. The salt is ultimately trivial.

True, still sucks to lose them to a bug instead of my own stupidity.
Anyway, now I have a hammer that is literally twice my size. I like this game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

Welp, I guess I know what my next build is.

What buffs would you recommend in this case? Or are we just talking using Pages with the appropriate elemental damage types?

I went with the Trinity because they get the Fire and Lightning buffs as rewards. Then took a few levels of Prayers to be able to use Holy weapon, though you could just as easily go Arcane instead.

Towards the end the gun does like 200+ damage a shot and you can really easily swap in a shield on the fly in the middle of combat to avoid eating attacks. It's a pretty hilarious playstyle that made the final boss in particular a complete joke, and the Tomb boss literally a trifle to deal with assuming you did a certain quest and picked the shield as your reward.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like a fun game, but coming from Dark Souls 3, I get a real strong feeling of deja vu in the sense of the first boss completely wrecking me. Yes, gitting gud and all that. Also getting used to the controls takes a while - I don't know if I should be blocking the Sodden knight or rolling. Seems like in the 2nd phase his combo is just too much to dodge, rarely giving me an opening.

e: Man, I really don't like getting comboed/hit while in the animation of getting up/ recovering. Not much I can do there. Is there a fast recovery mechanic?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 20, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dodging takes a bit to get used to, its main function is to move you across the enemy to get hits at the back. You'll want to crowd right up against him in you know you're about to dodge.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Everything goes well until the final phase but then it seems like his combos are just all over the place. He can jump halfway across the screen and hit me or he can do his little electric attack, jump and then attack behind himself too. It's kinda hard to find a window for attacking there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

Everything goes well until the final phase but then it seems like his combos are just all over the place. He can jump halfway across the screen and hit me or he can do his little electric attack, jump and then attack behind himself too. It's kinda hard to find a window for attacking there.

Watch some videos.

Or focus on dodging his three hit combo and getting a hit in after, or wait for the lighting -> leap chain and punish him after it, since there a big window there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I managed to beat him, but it was more frantic button-mashing than executing a well-thought counter attacking strategy.

Somehow I don't think this will get easier. But on the other hand, I had the exact same feeling starting DS3 some time ago, and I did manage to beat that one. So let's see how this one goes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The way you beat salt and sanctuary is by rolling through the bosses right before/when they attack so they swing in the wrong direction. There are maybe two places in the whole game where this doesn't work.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Popelmon posted:

IIRC The Mad Alchemist is a special case since he can kill you after he dies and he doesn't respawn. So yeah, if he poisons you and you die after killing him it's just gone. That's also why his drops are an item on the ground instead of being added to your inventory like most boss items. Unless I'm remembering this all wrong...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, the Cave of Whatever (starts with an H. Haeger?) is by far the worst area I've encountered thus far. The enemies are annoying, the boss is hard, and the run is way too long. The skeletons were bad enough when you're just trying to kill them once, what with the seemingly entirely random teleporting whenever they feel like it, but then it turns out they have infinite aggro range and will literally teleport into the boss arena if you didn't kill them. And also a few of the floating enemies will follow you in as well because why not.

And then the game has the audacity to follow this mess up with the forest 2.0, this time with more poison. Ugh. At least I can better equip myself against poison.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Wow, the Cave of Whatever (starts with an H. Haeger?) is by far the worst area I've encountered thus far. The enemies are annoying, the boss is hard, and the run is way too long. The skeletons were bad enough when you're just trying to kill them once, what with the seemingly entirely random teleporting whenever they feel like it, but then it turns out they have infinite aggro range and will literally teleport into the boss arena if you didn't kill them. And also a few of the floating enemies will follow you in as well because why not.

And then the game has the audacity to follow this mess up with the forest 2.0, this time with more poison. Ugh. At least I can better equip myself against poison.

I reccomend going through the dome and ziggurat first, it makes that area way more fun. It's actually an optional area, if you're a completionist, but I wouldn't recommend skipping it your first time through.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Go up from the main sanctuary to where the bone throwing skeletons are and the vanishing blue platforms. Cross the platforms to the ledge that has some item on it. Equip whatever fall mitigating spells/items you have and running jump to the left.

Tada, you just skipped 80% of the run to the boss.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Is there some way to buy more phials of undersight? I'm using them faster than I'm getting them back for the invisible assholes.

e: nvm, figured out I could just grind the group of whispermen near the sanctuary without using phials.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 21, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Is there some way to buy more phials of undersight? I'm using them faster than I'm getting them back for the invisible assholes.

e: nvm, figured out I could just grind the group of whispermen near the sanctuary without using phials.

If you level up a Covenant enough, you can buy them from the merchant.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm another Steam late-adopter now that I'm almost done with DS3. I guess heavy armor and greathammers/axes are the way to go for a first playthrough? I just found the claymore and have an upgrading question: I know I can transmute this to other things, but do I lose the upgrade levels if I do that? I have a bunch of hair that I can use to make this +1, +2, etc, but will it go back to +0 if I transmute it to something else? Also, when do I find my first greataxe/greathammer? I'm only in the Village of Smiles so yeah, very early still.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Amppelix posted:

It's probably my least favorite area of the game. On the plus side, the run up is actually very short. It's been a while since I played through, so forgive the vagueness, but if you go out and to the upper left from the sanctuary, to some rickety platforms with skellingtons in midair, you can do a running leap into the unknown and you'll end up barely avoiding death and landing a lot closer to the boss door.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fuzz posted:

If you level up a Covenant enough, you can buy them from the merchant.

Not every creed works though!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Not every creed works though!

Well yeah, every Creed has its own sell list for the Merchant. Some of the weapons can only be gotten via a certain Creed at a certain level.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm another Steam late-adopter now that I'm almost done with DS3. I guess heavy armor and greathammers/axes are the way to go for a first playthrough? I just found the claymore and have an upgrading question: I know I can transmute this to other things, but do I lose the upgrade levels if I do that? I have a bunch of hair that I can use to make this +1, +2, etc, but will it go back to +0 if I transmute it to something else? Also, when do I find my first greataxe/greathammer? I'm only in the Village of Smiles so yeah, very early still.

Transmutation will lower the weapon level by 1. Always check to see if you can just transmute another weapon if you're not sure if you're going to like the new toy... you don't want to end up in a situation where you transmute your main weapon and then the new one has a different moveset you don't like or something. Generally speaking, weapons transmute based on type, so if your CLaymore can be transmuted, probably any 2handed sword can, which means you can just use some trash one you've found or just buy a new one from the merchant and transmute that.

EDIT: Quote!= Edit. Sorry for the double post.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Transmutation will lower the weapon level by 1. Always check to see if you can just transmute another weapon if you're not sure if you're going to like the new toy... you don't want to end up in a situation where you transmute your main weapon and then the new one has a different moveset you don't like or something. Generally speaking, weapons transmute based on type, so if your CLaymore can be transmuted, probably any 2handed sword can, which means you can just use some trash one you've found or just buy a new one from the merchant and transmute that.

EDIT: Quote!= Edit. Sorry for the double post.

This is kind of a bummer for great hammers since you only get 1 per playthrough, as far as I know.

Fhqwhgads posted:

There's a forest past the village of smiles (you don't need to fight the boss to get there). The greathammer is located shortly after the boss of the forest. I'd say easiest build is probably greathammer user who worships the three for access to both fire and lightning creed buffs. Armor isn't super important, but you probably want to level up one of the two trees so you have access to some variety.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

This is kind of a bummer for great hammers since you only get 1 per playthrough, as far as I know.

Wiki tells me the class 2 greathammer is

quote:

Sold by Blacksmith of the Stone Roots Creed with 6 devotion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just got this game on Steam and I'm really enjoying it. I'm trying to focus on STR but I don't know if I should focus on greatswords or a good axe. So far I've got the Claymore (Kureimoa), woodsman's axe and varangian spatha (wich is more for dex users). Is it worth upgrading weapons early or is it better to hold on? I like the moveset of the Kureimoa and has a great S scaling on STR.

I also changed the controls to be more souls like and was better than having roll on a trigger.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Ah, well that's quite a grind unless you're already in The Worst Creed. (I like poison but it has the typical videogame poison problems and is not very good)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've just beat the Mad Alchemist and I'm starting on the Sunken Keep (incidentally, already ran into the next boss down there!). Should I put some points towards the big-rear end greataxe, or keep using my Kureimoa?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I just got this game on Steam and I'm really enjoying it. I'm trying to focus on STR but I don't know if I should focus on greatswords or a good axe. So far I've got the Claymore (Kureimoa), woodsman's axe and varangian spatha (wich is more for dex users). Is it worth upgrading weapons early or is it better to hold on? I like the moveset of the Kureimoa and has a great S scaling on STR.

You will eventually get a whole shitton of the low level upgrade materials and you can buy them, so if you feel like you're going to use the weapon for a while upgrade away.

And from what I've seen (about 20 hours of gameplay) you don't really need to specialize in any weapon type, unless you specifically want to use a high rank weapon of some type (because you need to take all previous ranks to take rank 5). Feel free to take ranks one and two on any weapon type if you feel like wielding one, even if you won't, it's just stat boosts.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

I think there's another hammer that's in the same class in the Steel Creed's merchant tree... think it's at a lower devotion, as well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Amppelix posted:

You will eventually get a whole shitton of the low level upgrade materials and you can buy them, so if you feel like you're going to use the weapon for a while upgrade away.

And from what I've seen (about 20 hours of gameplay) you don't really need to specialize in any weapon type, unless you specifically want to use a high rank weapon of some type (because you need to take all previous ranks to take rank 5). Feel free to take ranks one and two on any weapon type if you feel like wielding one, even if you won't, it's just stat boosts.

Thanks, sounds nice that while you get weapon ranks you get the desired stat too. How does equip load work? Looks like Dark Souls 2/3 where under 70% you do a fastroll (and a longer leap by using jump+roll) but I find easier to roll behind enemies with a fat roll for some reason.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can I dismiss an NPC from a sanctuary? I kinda would like a travel guide and a blacksmith in Bandit's pass but I already filled it leaders and magic NPC's which I'm not gonna use.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

Can I dismiss an NPC from a sanctuary? I kinda would like a travel guide and a blacksmith in Bandit's pass but I already filled it leaders and magic NPC's which I'm not gonna use.

Not sure... you can try attacking them to kill them...

:unsmigghh:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nice idea, but you can't actually attack the sanctuary (other people are just invincible) NPCs without taking some very specific steps to do so.

I kinda like and don't like that about S&S. I understand why you can't just go on a killing spree (they would have to come up with alternate means of progress once you kill important characters, for example) but in souls I always really liked being able to see how each character fought when threatened and what they dropped. It's a nice way to slip in some extra character into your characters.

On another matter entirely, I now have all the brands (according to the achievement I got), and I kinda want to do some backtracking, but gently caress me if I'm supposed to remember where every single jump that was too far or hard light platform was. Is there like an easy list of cool stuff to backtrack for?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
For any of you new guys to the game thinking it's hard, the difficulty curve is sort of like a Souls game, but sort of not.

At the beginning, you're super loving weak and it's hard to get much done. But at the end, when you have an upgraded tier 3 weapon, you will demolish bosses in two hits and the entire game becomes a snooze fest of lovely level design.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

For any of you new guys to the game thinking it's hard, the difficulty curve is sort of like a Souls game, but sort of not.

At the beginning, you're super loving weak and it's hard to get much done. But at the end, when you have an upgraded tier 3 weapon, you will demolish bosses in two hits and the entire game becomes a snooze fest of lovely level design.

Well, I'm sorta already feeling this. I'm using my upgraded .. want to say level 2? 3? Warhammer and the last two bossfights Kraekan Cyclops and the Wurm have basically been slugfests where I just try to hit them a lot before they kill me.

Also where do I find the amber thingie needed for transmutations?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Platypus Farm posted:

The weapon balance is kind of bad, so that's not really the case with most of them. Also, the level design is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I started a conversation with a scarecrow, and an enemy killed me while he was gabbing. Now he's gone. Did I ruin any quests or anything?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Z7vzqBuuU&t=537s
8:57 in this video.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 23, 2016

• Locked thread