Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really fed up with Hager's cavern. The lightning shooting witches and the teleporting skeletons can just stuff it. Is this place necessary for continuing on with the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I finally got an amber idol and can transmute something, but looking at the wiki why does it seem like the initial greathammer does the most damage? Is the Strength scaling that much more of a boon in this game than DS? I'm just paranoid about wasting idols on transmutations and am still rocking a Class IV Warhammer (Just started Hager's Cavern).

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

scarecrow fucks off after any convo. You're fine.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I'm wrong ignore me!

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 23, 2016

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Hager's Cavern isn't required. You only need either air dash or the red gate power to beat the game.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Fuzz posted:

It's just like a Souls game. The salt is ultimately trivial.

Adding to this, yeah once you get over that initial separation anxiety from the splurge, it's not so bad losing enough salt to gain 1 or 2 levels. It happens and these games may have even been designed around it. Of course this doesn't mean shrug off every time you lose 100,000 salt / souls and just be bad. But if you really feel burned by that separation from your progress, the returns do improve the farther in the game you get where enemies just drop too much salt.

:darksouls:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I take back everything about the earlier forest and the mire, Pitchwoods is that except somehow even worse. Like, ok, Dark Souls has instant death drops all the time too, but it is not a platformer. S&S is very much a platformer on top of being an RPG, and I don't think death pits and megaman vanishing blocks have much compatibility with its combat system or how punishing failure is. The game would be much better off if I knew that nine times out of ten, falling off things wouldn't just kill me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If your complaint with the pitchwoods doesn't begin with "loving narwhal horses" you haven't seen the bad part

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

^E: Also so much this. gently caress those things forever.

That is pretty much my only gripe for this game aside from the weird gear balance. The platforming has definitely made me just put the game down for a night. It's a bit easier when you get the air dash but only somewhat. I just hate having to trust the wonky cliff-grabbing mechanic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

NT Plus posted:

^E: Also so much this. gently caress those things forever.

That is pretty much my only gripe for this game aside from the weird gear balance. The platforming has definitely made me just put the game down for a night. It's a bit easier when you get the air dash but only somewhat. I just hate having to trust the wonky cliff-grabbing mechanic.

There's a spell and a ring that mitigate fall damage slightly, but yeah... still pretty rough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Digirat posted:

If your complaint with the pitchwoods doesn't begin with "loving narwhal horses" you haven't seen the bad part

I saw two of those but they looked mean so I didn't go that way. And unless they're some supreme bullshit I would still much rather have hard enemies than punishing platforming.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They are some supreme bullshit. That entire area is an enormous middle finger in map design form. The only good thing about it is that it's optional.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Amppelix posted:

unless they're some supreme bullshit I would still much rather have hard enemies than punishing platforming.

Well. :staredog: They are more than eager to provide a healthy serving of supreme bullshit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How hosed up is armor in this game? Should I just go the Fashion Souls route or do the stats really matter? I ask before spending points on being able to wear heavy armor as I plan on using huge 2h weapons.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
questions answered by playing

Guillermus posted:

How hosed up is armor in this game? Should I just go the Fashion Souls route or do the stats really matter? I ask before spending points on being able to wear heavy armor as I plan on using huge 2h weapons.

ive been going naked + greatsword and the game has been a breeze so far. i cant imagine its a big deal

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 24, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thing I just realized: aren't bells of return completely useless, since save and quitting takes you to the last place you rested at for free?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Platypus Farm posted:

For any of you new guys to the game thinking it's hard, the difficulty curve is sort of like a Souls game, but sort of not.

At the beginning, you're super loving weak and it's hard to get much done. But at the end, when you have an upgraded tier 3 weapon, you will demolish bosses in two hits and the entire game becomes a snooze fest of lovely level design.

Yeah I think I'm definitely feeling it. I'm in the Pitchwoods which is unbelievably awful. Most of the other areas up to this point have felt really samey. I mean, the platforming varies and they all have different themes, but I just don't give a crap. Half the enemies die in 2 or 3 hits and are no threat whatsoever, I've been doing more or less the same thing to beat most of the bosses, and the dull palette makes it feel like I'm playing the game equivalent of gruel. Think I'm just going to skip this and replay Symphony of the Night or something.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, the tomb of the gods (which I'm assuming to be either the last or second to last area(name not guaranteed to be correct)) really isn't kidding around. These golems wandering the place are like way harder than the boss I fought to get here, considering I beat the boss in one try and have yet to progress much past that due to being constantly owned by golems.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Digirat posted:

I died to these guys more than anyone in the goddamn game. Even when i got to a safe spot I still was like gently caress you die you goddamn bullshit rear end one shoting piece of poo poo.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Buck Turgidson posted:

Yeah I think I'm definitely feeling it. I'm in the Pitchwoods which is unbelievably awful. Most of the other areas up to this point have felt really samey. I mean, the platforming varies and they all have different themes, but I just don't give a crap. Half the enemies die in 2 or 3 hits and are no threat whatsoever, I've been doing more or less the same thing to beat most of the bosses, and the dull palette makes it feel like I'm playing the game equivalent of gruel. Think I'm just going to skip this and replay Symphony of the Night or something.

The weird thing about the game is that I really enjoyed it until pitchwoods, and then it got so bad so fast it was like someone hit an OFF switch on the team's effort. I mean, technically, the areas work and you don't fall through the ground or whatever, but the latter third-ish of the game is just junk compared to the really cool areas before.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
Once I got the level 2 greathammer and great axe, the game became a breeze. Hell, I killed a few bosses with 4-5 swings. As for Pitchwoods, I'm not sure what the big deal is? Granted, I was one-shotting the narwhals so I don't know what they do, but the platforming wasn't terrible? Much easier than some of the mega man platforming we are comparing it to.

The beginning of the game was such a pain in the rear end compared to how powerful you get later on. For the golden splendor!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Once I got the level 2 greathammer and great axe, the game became a breeze. Hell, I killed a few bosses with 4-5 swings. As for Pitchwoods, I'm not sure what the big deal is? Granted, I was one-shotting the narwhals so I don't know what they do, but the platforming wasn't terrible? Much easier than some of the mega man platforming we are comparing it to.

The beginning of the game was such a pain in the rear end compared to how powerful you get later on. For the golden splendor!

For me, it wasn't the challenge of either the enemies or the platforming, but it was the first in a series of really really boring areas that were not at all interesting compared to those that came before.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Verviticus posted:

ive been going naked + greatsword and the game has been a breeze so far. i cant imagine its a big deal

Understood. Fashion souls with a huge weapon then (I like it this way more than min-maxing armor).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I gotta say that slowly creeping my way through along the suggested progress route, the hardest boss so far is The Third Lamb. He just seems a bit unpredictable and pretty fast chaining his attacks. I'm trying to coat my weapon with the fire philter, but it only lasts for so long. I'm level 62, can use either Headtaker 2 or Obsidian pillar 3.

On another note, it feels like you really have to pump endurance to be able to wear even one part of the best heavy armor. Kinda makes me feel like putting points there was a waste since apparently ^^^^^^^Fashion Salts is in effect.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey, I beat it! At something like 25 hours played. Pretty meaty game for such a small studio (and price!). I don't think the level design really noticeably deteriorated towards the end, although I would have liked it if the final areas had like any small enemies. The only things there were huge hard to kill dudes which gets exhausting. Also, I literally had to look up a guide on what to do at one point in the crypt because one jump was so hard that I actually though I wasn't supposed to be able to do it.

Another nitpick I have is that I think, game balance wise, the game's a bit too short. I had no chance to actually use the highest tier of weapon because the game was over before I was able to grind my way to both upgrading one and getting the skill to wield it. This might have something to do with me beelining for rank 5 prayers first, but it still kinda feels bad when the big weapon I was eyeing for the whole game never actually got to do anything.

But other than that, great game! I'll probably do both NG+ and a new character at some point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Hey, I beat it! At something like 25 hours played. Pretty meaty game for such a small studio (and price!). I don't think the level design really noticeably deteriorated towards the end, although I would have liked it if the final areas had like any small enemies. The only things there were huge hard to kill dudes which gets exhausting. Also, I literally had to look up a guide on what to do at one point in the crypt because one jump was so hard that I actually though I wasn't supposed to be able to do it.

Another nitpick I have is that I think, game balance wise, the game's a bit too short. I had no chance to actually use the highest tier of weapon because the game was over before I was able to grind my way to both upgrading one and getting the skill to wield it. This might have something to do with me beelining for rank 5 prayers first, but it still kinda feels bad when the big weapon I was eyeing for the whole game never actually got to do anything.

But other than that, great game! I'll probably do both NG+ and a new character at some point.

Try a mage, or try another Creed. Some of them are pretty drat different.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

just lost about 28k salt because of those invisible assholes in the Dome :argh:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat The 3rd Lamb and a few other bosses too. Currently finished with Ziggurat, but looking at the map, I think I missed the Floating castle. So I guess I should head there next. I'm sporting the big-rear end anchor (Castaway's Greatadze) but even with highest tier in the weapon skill, you can't one-hand tier 5 weapons, right? It's a pain when you have a torch lit.

Also, something that bothers me: if you ride the elevator in the Red hall of Cages until the very bottom, there's a locked gate on the left and a lever on the other side. Now, I've been going all the way down on Hager's cavern but haven't been able to find that route. What do I need to do?

Incidentally, I followed a random path to the west of Hager's cavern, ended up in some church ruins, fought a huge armor guy and found out I'd been going under the Mire of Stench 'till the beach. I love secret corridors like that.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

Finally beat The 3rd Lamb and a few other bosses too. Currently finished with Ziggurat, but looking at the map, I think I missed the Floating castle. So I guess I should head there next. I'm sporting the big-rear end anchor (Castaway's Greatadze) but even with highest tier in the weapon skill, you can't one-hand tier 5 weapons, right? It's a pain when you have a torch lit.

Also, something that bothers me: if you ride the elevator in the Red hall of Cages until the very bottom, there's a locked gate on the left and a lever on the other side. Now, I've been going all the way down on Hager's cavern but haven't been able to find that route. What do I need to do?

Incidentally, I followed a random path to the west of Hager's cavern, ended up in some church ruins, fought a huge armor guy and found out I'd been going under the Mire of Stench 'till the beach. I love secret corridors like that.

Yeah, tier 5 weapons are only two handers. The easiest way to fix the light problem is using the item that increases your light radius.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any good fast weapon for use with a shield? So far I've been using the Haymaker and is better than the other 1h alternatives with it's reach and speed even with the lovely scaling.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Is there any good fast weapon for use with a shield? So far I've been using the Haymaker and is better than the other 1h alternatives with it's reach and speed even with the lovely scaling.

Steel Centipede is your friend. It's a fast sword that turns into a whip for reach. So drat good. Phoenix Tail is also similar, plus it does fire damage, but it's hard to get.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Halberds work well with a shield. They start great, become no good in the middle of the game when the only available one is really slow (switch to the tachi at that point if you can use rank 2 swords), then they become awesome again after that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, after being stuck at the Third Lamb for a while, I made some progress and now I'm stuck at the Witch of the Lake. It's hard to avoid her machine gun spell barrage if you're in the wrong spot. Maybe a 100% arcane shield would be good for this one? I'm still running my big rear end weapon build with a maxed out Bonecrusher and .. whatever it's called, the same tier greataxe.

I am pretty happy though to ace the Pitchwoods jump sections pretty fast. Guess my history with Mega Man disappearing blocks came in handy. (that boss was a cakewalk compared to the Witch.) F*k the unicorns though. Never managed to kill even one of them.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I just oneshotted all those horsies with my almost max upgraded pair of scissors but gently caress those jumping parts and especially gently caress getting to that sky hippie sanctuary

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Picked this up for PC the other day. Game has been very cool. I like the aesthetic barring the character faces and the weird washed out areas that make it hard to see. The starry night sky area was particularly cool-looking, as was the red dungeon (lame boss though).

Then I found the Pitchwoods and holy wow somebody forgot to make this part good. Is this the Lost Izalith of Salt and Sanctuary? I'm glad that it's apparently optional. I completed it on my first character but I probably won't be back on subsequent playthroughs.
Boring megaman platforming with extra-punitive failure, annoying useless enemies on the way down and horrid horeshit enemies at the bottom, and a whole lot of nothing to look at. Admittedly the Impaled Knights were actually pretty cool to discover, but it's impossible to avoid taking hits from them if you're not using the right kind of weapon, which is a failure of design in my opinion when the game locks you into certain weapon classes based on your skill tree. Similarly, the Spindlebeasts are also impossible to attack head on if you don't have the right kind of weapon (read: something long that one-shots them) since they will gladly turn around and instantly grab kill you in the same frame. Lucky I had been upgrading a Flintlock.

Weapon balance is pretty bad, but at least there's still a good amount of variety and some attempt at giving different weapons strengths and weaknesses. I can definitely see myself playing through with different builds, which is part of what I consider a hallmark of a good Souls-like.

I'll be recommending it to my friends despite its faults. It's a good fun game with a few missteps.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, and it's a great deal for like $15-20.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

HerraS posted:

just lost about 28k salt because of those invisible assholes in the Dome :argh:

This happened to me too. Having them spawn on you right after you kill the boss is a real dick move.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I finally beat the Witch of the Lake. I didn't even know you could use the Mirror shield to parry magic attacks, which helped tremendously. Her purple arc attack still made things difficult, though.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I started as a Thief and I'm a few hours in, hearing Thiefs and daggers suck, can I just make him a sword wielder or should I restart. I struggle to deal damage at times.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I started as a Thief and I'm a few hours in, hearing Thiefs and daggers suck, can I just make him a sword wielder or should I restart. I struggle to deal damage at times.

Sure. Weapon ranks always give stats too, so it isn't ever really wasted. Swords are a bad choice for Thief start IMO, since the ranks give you STR and most of the swords scale equally or worse at DEX. I would recommend poleaxes/spears.

• Locked thread