Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm really digging on this game. I rolled a knight and have been putting the majority of my points into Strength and Swordsman skills. I've found a zweihander and slapped the Moss Charm on it for faster swings. After many frustrating deaths in the forest and to the Alchemist, I finally bullied him into the corner with a rhythm of three slashes. Really enjoying things so far.

I love this stage of a new souls game, where everything is fresh and everyone's trying to figure out the rules of the game. My experience with the game raises new questions every few minutes, like "Do the people I place in sanctuaries leave if I abandon the god?" and "What are Grey Pearls used for?" And I have some criticisms about the game, too. It hews too close to the source material, for better or worse, and sometimes it comes off as laughably grimdark. But if people are on the fence, the game plays well and I think it's got some real meat on its bones.

e: Found a ring that increases my rolling speed hidden behind a secret door. In the Village of Smiles, up and to the left of the area where the scarecrow-figure was, there's an area where you can drop down to fight an armored knight and exit to the left. Go through the exit, and in the outside area, go down one floor and inspect the wall.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When you look at a weapon's stats does there are two numbers separated by a -->. Is the 1st number the base damage and the second number to the right of the arrow indicate what your damage is when affected by stat scaling?

Is this like souls where you should be greedy with what weapons you choose to level up cause of a paucity of resources? Or is it easier and you should just level up whatever.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Megasabin posted:

When you look at a weapon's stats does there are two numbers separated by a -->. Is the 1st number the base damage and the second number to the right of the arrow indicate what your damage is when affected by stat scaling?

Is this like souls where you should be greedy with what weapons you choose to level up cause of a paucity of resources? Or is it easier and you should just level up whatever.

If you level up your say dagger to level 3, later on you can transmute it from a rank 0 to a rank 1 dagger at an alchemist.

It removes one rank of upgrade, so your level 3 rank 0 dagger goes to level 2 rank 1. So it's not a super punishing system.

I am however not entirely sure the blacksmith upgrades do anything as my damage has stayed exactly the same despite having used them a few times.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Upgrades are purchasable and you'll findtons of them, maybe save the like, level 5/6/7 stuff for specifics? but other yeah go hog wild

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cant even beat the first boss.

Feels good to get my poo poo kicked in. :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Was picking Hunter an inadvisable decision? They can't seem to parry.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

Was picking Hunter an inadvisable decision? They can't seem to parry.

if whips can't do it you could just change to a different weapon or put a shield in your off hand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lets hang out posted:

if whips can't do it you could just change to a different weapon or put a shield in your off hand

Haven't got a shield, is the thing. They have a dagger they can block with but I don't know if that's enough to trigger a parry.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Oxxidation posted:

Haven't got a shield, is the thing. They have a dagger they can block with but I don't know if that's enough to trigger a parry.

You find multiple shields about 20 minutes into the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megasabin posted:

You find multiple shields about 20 minutes into the game.

Must have missed them. Currently getting whupped by the Bronze Knight at the entrance to the Village of Smiles.

I'll look down another path for something useful.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Jesus Christ, this warhammer is chewing enemies up. It takes out the big armoured guys in the Castle of Storms in three hits. Two brands down, ??? to go

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just beat the Tree of Men boss, it was a miserable experience. No part of that fight was fun.

Oxxidation posted:

The Hunter can parry with his/her sword, yes.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can someone explain how you conquer other monasteries? I'm just past the second boss, so I've only seen 3 monasteries total. The first one you claim as your own, and the other two have been for different religions, but I see no option to change them to mine. Also what's the deal with those mini-monasteries you can find that just have a single white orb and no options other than to heal?

Additionally, what are the equip rates % for slowing down your movement and rolls?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 16, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I just beat the Tree of Men boss, it was a miserable experience. No part of that fight was fun.

Really? Was he tricky? I found his damage kind of pitiful. I enjoyed the gimmick/mobility of the fight.

Megasabin posted:

Can someone explain how you conquer other monasteries? I'm just past the second boss, so I've only seen 3 monasteries total. The first one you claim as your own, and the other two have been for different religions, but I see no option to change them to mine. Also what's the deal with those mini-monasteries you can find that just have a single white orb and no options other than to heal?

Additionally, what are the equip rates % for slowing down your movement and rolls?

Crystal Orbs, it's an item you could have started with, but you'll find tons throughout the game.

75% is the only one I know for sure and it's, imo, the ideal one to balance around. Keep in mind weapon swapping changes your weight, so sword+shield will have more weight than that same sword twohanded

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Beat it, game clock was 19:55:31. Incredibly fun! Starting up new game + now.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pladdicus posted:

Really? Was he tricky? I found his damage kind of pitiful. I enjoyed the gimmick/mobility of the fight.

Crystal Orbs, it's an item you could have started with, but you'll find tons throughout the game.

75% is the only one I know for sure and it's, imo, the ideal one to balance around. Keep in mind weapon swapping changes your weight, so sword+shield will have more weight than that same sword twohanded

So once you have a crystal orb you just use that a monastery?

Pladdicus posted:

Beat it, game clock was 19:55:31. Incredibly fun! Starting up new game + now.

:eyepop:

How many hours has this game even been out? Hasn't it basically been 24 hours?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I keep finding a bunch of really sick level 2+ heavy armor sets.

I'm spec'd in light armor :negative:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Megasabin posted:

So once you have a crystal orb you just use that a monastery?

:eyepop:

How many hours has this game even been out? Hasn't it basically been 24 hours?

Uh! I slept for six and took a few hours for my girlfriend so...that+20 hours? XD

And yes, set the crystal sphere(sorry misremembered it) in your slot and use it in a sanctuary

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 16, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Light armor is no slouch, freeing you up to either go for a lot of the stats you want, or heavier weapons/shields.

but yeah, the heavy armor sets look great. Any game that lets me play dress up is fantastic.

edit: spoilers for ending 'name' and thing that happens

if you pick to rule you get a set of class 5 heavy armor in ng+

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 16, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How was this only made by 2 people

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Digirat posted:

How was this only made by 2 people

Probably the coolest part of this. I caught the stream last night when they hopped on to a skype call with the streamer, they seem like really cool people. I hope this game super takes off.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaggitz posted:

This is me at the moment fortunately I found a katana to go with my japanese assassin gear

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i keep expecting the dungeon route to like stop or curl back around or something but it just keeps going deeper and deeper and deeper

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Spoilered for gameplay tips and a creed

As a note you can use a stained page to 'desecrate' an opposing creeds shrine, resulting in a crazy fight. Losing is apart of joining another creed.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 16, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm afraid of doing this ^^

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

goferchan posted:

I'm afraid of doing this ^^

You should be!

Losing the fight means you are locked out of that sanctuary, as the fight will restart when you re-enter.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pladdicus posted:

Spoilered for gameplay tips and a creed

As a note you can use a stained page to 'desecrate' an opposing creeds shrine, resulting in a crazy fight. Losing is apart of joining another creed.

I tried this and nothing happened. :(

Maybe because I'm in The Iron Ones?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 16, 2016

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
For a game that came out of nowhere and was made by only two people I'm amazed at how good it is. This is definitely going to work my Dark Souls fix until 3 comes out.

Any tips for the (mid-late game) Third Lamb? By far the hardest encounter for me so far.

edit: nevermind, apparently he's extra strong against blunt weapons or something. He's a lot easier when you're not doing 20 damage per hit.

acumen fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 16, 2016

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I tried this and nothing happened. :(

Maybe because I'm in The Iron Ones?

You were standing in front of the alter itself?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
One thing that annoys me is that when I change screens the enemies remain aggroed. I understand why they do it, but fighting an unseen enemy is silly, specially slow guys like Bronze Knights.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

That fight would have been 90% easier if the lower platforms weren't breakable.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

That fight would have been 90% easier if the lower platforms weren't breakable.

And if they weren't over a pit of death, which you can be kicked into while waiting for the breakable platforms to return. I'm interested in the more exotic weapon classes. I found one called a Greatscissor, and while I think it's part of the sword tree, none of the skills mention scissors. Same deal with the Sword Whips, probably fit under whips but do I need sword skills to use it also?

At first I was okay with not having a map and trying to keep the layout of the world in my head, like I do with most souls games. But once I started getting brands I really wished there was something in-game to help me remember what places I should return to.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
This game is awesome. More games should rip off D Souls like this. It is easily my favorite series of all time.

This will be good nice filler before DS3 is released next month. I should continue on my journey through the rest of the King's Field games, but there are so many good games right now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pladdicus posted:

He's extremely tedious and has a nasty tendency to kick you into a bottomless pit.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

LawfulWaffle posted:

And if they weren't over a pit of death, which you can be kicked into while waiting for the breakable platforms to return. I'm interested in the more exotic weapon classes. I found one called a Greatscissor, and while I think it's part of the sword tree, none of the skills mention scissors. Same deal with the Sword Whips, probably fit under whips but do I need sword skills to use it also?

At first I was okay with not having a map and trying to keep the layout of the world in my head, like I do with most souls games. But once I started getting brands I really wished there was something in-game to help me remember what places I should return to.

You can use sword whips with just points in swords, same with the scissors, I also found a gunblade.

EDIT: I parried a knight off his horse

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 16, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

He's extremely tedious and has a nasty tendency to kick you into a bottomless pit.

Yeah, I killed him on my second try without much trouble, but it's a bad and tedious fight. Not really hard, but also not fun.

Also gently caress this area after him. This stretch is a bit of a roadblock for me, and doesn't seem to have remembered the "fair" bit in "tough but fair."

The Red Cage Dungeon was fun as gently caress though... hope I can get back to a fun area like that before too long.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I'm currently exploring Hagar's Cavern, and managed to upgrade my dagger to rank 3 with an amber idol I found. It's now doing dual poison and regular damage which is nice but a bit annoying since I guarantee everything will end up being immune to it at some point.

I seem to find loads of heavy armour but not much light stuff, best so far is rank 1 assassin gear.

When I fought the boss of the Red Cage dungeon, he bugged out in the second phase and stopped attacking me, instead just standing still in the center of the room. This was great, except the only weapon I could hit with was a spear and it did 8 damage a hit.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah but almost all of his lethality is muted by just chilling on the side platforms, which you have to do to attack him anyway, plus you can duck through the middle when you need to, just wait for him to do an attack. I did die to him a bunch, but it's a short trek to his boss room too from the nearby sanctuary which helps a lot.

edit: yes i am an unrepentant fan who can see no wrong, haha.

Thievery posted:

I'm currently exploring Hagar's Cavern, and managed to upgrade my dagger to rank 3 with an amber idol I found. It's now doing dual poison and regular damage which is nice but a bit annoying since I guarantee everything will end up being immune to it at some point.

I seem to find loads of heavy armour but not much light stuff, best so far is rank 1 assassin gear.

When I fought the boss of the Red Cage dungeon, he bugged out in the second phase and stopped attacking me, instead just standing still in the center of the room. This was great, except the only weapon I could hit with was a spear and it did 8 damage a hit.

There's a shop in both the...first? dungeon and the Castle of Storms that sells T3? light armor. I may not be remembering properly. I really like Hagar's cavern, but it is an incredibly hard spike in difficulty.

Weapon Spoiler?
Got Trinity Greatsword, most t5 weapons seem to have invisible abilities and this ones is Fast Attack and apparently HP Leech. That+the fast attack charm (may not stack) it hits so quick, I love it.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 16, 2016

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pladdicus posted:

Yeah but almost all of his lethality is muted by just chilling on the side platforms, which you have to do to attack him anyway, plus you can duck through the middle when you need to, just wait for him to do an attack. I did die to him a bunch, but it's a short trek to his boss room too from the nearby sanctuary which helps a lot.

edit: yes i am an unrepentant fan who can see no wrong, haha.

Pretty much the only time you want to leave the side platforms is when they're simultaneously shooting fire though, which you have little to no control over. Even then, you still have to go through half of his healthbar on a really tedious, repetitive cycle of baiting an attack and jumping to hit his stupid head.

It's a terrible boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Pretty much the only time you want to leave the side platforms is when they're simultaneously shooting fire though, which you have little to no control over. Even then, you still have to go through half of his healthbar on a really tedious, repetitive cycle of baiting an attack and jumping to hit his stupid head.

It's a terrible boss.

What was your build against this boss(/in general)? Like stat/weapon/armor wise?

• Locked thread