Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Storm castle is my current roadblock too. I've done everything else I can find - the boss at the bottom of the sunken keep or whatever it was Giant guy with sword was super easy, for the guy who wasn't sure if he should fight him yet.

After you've upgraded a weapon once (first place i've found to do it was the Woodwraith shrine) the second time you want to upgrade it, at least for my thief, there is more than one upgrade path. Press up/down on the screen and it'll change - in my case, from a poison dagger to a purely attack damage one.

Really enjoying the game so far.

Also parry seems really strong. I don't do damage with mine, but I kill things instantly instead. It also seems to randomly kill other enemies on screen besides the one I'm riposting.

I can't seem to progress "Leader" quests in my sanctuary, and also does anyone know what the 3 graph style bars are underneath your level on the HUD? Unless they're just for show.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Does upgrading weapons at the blacksmith actually do anything? It says on the upgrade screen it'll increase damage (in my case on a dagger) from 6 to 11 but after upgrading, the base damage stays the same.

For the next upgrade level, it also tells me it'll upgrade it from 6 - 11.

I can't help feeling it's not actually doing anything.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Speaking of the soul tree thing, I just discovered you can put multiple points (up to 5) in the stat increasing nodes. I unlocked level 5 assassin at level 27ish but since my dagger is only level 2 I may as well have boosted all these other stats first.

Has anyone who isn't a dagger user had any luck with upgrading weapons at the blacksmith? I feel like if they actually increased the damage like they say they should this game would be way easier.

Just beat the Storm Castle boss anyway.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Solomonic posted:

No, I have a Flanged Mace II and it still took me an eternity to chop down the second boss. I'm doing like 7 damage a hit, even after pumping strength a little (since it's supposed to have S strength scaling).

Big advice i'd give anyone on bosses as far as i've found is to buy many of the fire/lightning on weapon items from the sanctuary merchant. They're 500G each and so far i've found them both super useful.

You can also get a permanent version (of the lightning at least) from completing Leader quests at the sanctuary, that refills its charges when you rest.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Hmmnn... I got a ring that says something about setting my minimum Stamina level to one third of the max. Also, sometimes there is a difference between my max Stamina/Health and the health I can reach via healing. I don't think it has to do with dying and going hollow. Any idea what that's about?

Best I can work out so far is when you take a certain amount of damage you get "Wounded" and lose some of your max HP. I noticed it when I fought an enemy with fire breath and as my HP went down with each tick of damage (20%ish each time) my max HP slowly got shorter too, up to about 20% less than usual.

That's with me wearing the ring that makes wounds have less effect.

efb

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Megasabin posted:

When you look at a weapon's stats does there are two numbers separated by a -->. Is the 1st number the base damage and the second number to the right of the arrow indicate what your damage is when affected by stat scaling?

Is this like souls where you should be greedy with what weapons you choose to level up cause of a paucity of resources? Or is it easier and you should just level up whatever.

If you level up your say dagger to level 3, later on you can transmute it from a rank 0 to a rank 1 dagger at an alchemist.

It removes one rank of upgrade, so your level 3 rank 0 dagger goes to level 2 rank 1. So it's not a super punishing system.

I am however not entirely sure the blacksmith upgrades do anything as my damage has stayed exactly the same despite having used them a few times.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I'm currently exploring Hagar's Cavern, and managed to upgrade my dagger to rank 3 with an amber idol I found. It's now doing dual poison and regular damage which is nice but a bit annoying since I guarantee everything will end up being immune to it at some point.

I seem to find loads of heavy armour but not much light stuff, best so far is rank 1 assassin gear.

When I fought the boss of the Red Cage dungeon, he bugged out in the second phase and stopped attacking me, instead just standing still in the center of the room. This was great, except the only weapon I could hit with was a spear and it did 8 damage a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

lets hang out posted:

Game does not seem to be balanced very well for daggers and short swords. No reach, no damage, no ability to stagger, and the fast attack speed isn't nearly enough to bring them in line with bigger weps.

Like it's not great when my solution for boss fights is to break out a great sword because even un-upgraded and without any points in str it's still more effective.

I used my dagger up until the Untouched Inquisitor boss fight, and just before that I picked up a pistol and upgraded it.

Pistols are loving incredible. I blitzed through the next couple of bosses with no issues.

Also I think I sequence-broke a bit, I was exploring either the Dome of the Forgotten or the Ruined Temple and fell off a ledge to my death. So I went back to it, slid down and wall-jumped-sorta off and landed safely, then fought the Bloodless Prince.

I only think I sequence broke as he was stupidly tough and took forever to kill with my dagger. Didn't hit me once though, it was a stupid easy fight.

• Locked thread