Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Picked this up for PC the other day. Game has been very cool. I like the aesthetic barring the character faces and the weird washed out areas that make it hard to see. The starry night sky area was particularly cool-looking, as was the red dungeon (lame boss though).

Then I found the Pitchwoods and holy wow somebody forgot to make this part good. Is this the Lost Izalith of Salt and Sanctuary? I'm glad that it's apparently optional. I completed it on my first character but I probably won't be back on subsequent playthroughs.
Boring megaman platforming with extra-punitive failure, annoying useless enemies on the way down and horrid horeshit enemies at the bottom, and a whole lot of nothing to look at. Admittedly the Impaled Knights were actually pretty cool to discover, but it's impossible to avoid taking hits from them if you're not using the right kind of weapon, which is a failure of design in my opinion when the game locks you into certain weapon classes based on your skill tree. Similarly, the Spindlebeasts are also impossible to attack head on if you don't have the right kind of weapon (read: something long that one-shots them) since they will gladly turn around and instantly grab kill you in the same frame. Lucky I had been upgrading a Flintlock.

Weapon balance is pretty bad, but at least there's still a good amount of variety and some attempt at giving different weapons strengths and weaknesses. I can definitely see myself playing through with different builds, which is part of what I consider a hallmark of a good Souls-like.

I'll be recommending it to my friends despite its faults. It's a good fun game with a few missteps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread