Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Ugh, gently caress this Cyclops rear end in a top hat. Once he starts comboing I just get drained of stamina and die. It's harshing my buzz. Is there another route I can take? I don't like this guy but I've already cleared out the Village (I think).

I didn't fight the Cyclops until I was cleaning up 20 hours into the game, so you can leave it for now. I don't recall exactly where I went at that point, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah I hosed him up. It's a fun fight, actually, the attacks are all relatively fair.

WHen he flies up high, he's going to carpet spray fire where you are standing when he flies up there. Bait him to do this at the farthest end, then dash down--he'll fly right over you and you could even jump and attack him for extra damage. I used a battle axe and its downward aerial slash was very useful for getting chip damage on him. He's most vulnerable after his tail whip; the tell for it looks like his fire breath, but there's a slight delay, so it's hard to spot but doable.

The easy tell I used on the dragon was when his feet are close together he's going to tail whip, when they're further apart he's going to breathe fire.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I don't think I took any falling damage on the Tree? Wait for him to roar, jump to a higher platform, and hit his head when he lowers it. The only time you should be down by his feet is when he's breathing fire. That was my favorite boss fight so far since it actually had features to its arena.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What weapon were you using? I have an axe, so its reach isn't so great, I usually jumped out and hacked at his dangling bits, particularly 'cause of all the flamethrowers.

I was using the Red Guillotine which is a 1H axe. His head comes right down to the platform. I took a little jump to do the air combo but stayed right by the platforms. The flamethrowers are a nuisance but there's fire resist gear.

The first boss that has pissed me off is the Witch of the Lake being able to float off screen to cast magic. Also the boss of the Pitchwoods was really on the nose, even for this game. This game just keeps going and going.

edit: finally beat it. Good game, far exceeded my expectations.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 19, 2016

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

4) You can take an oath without upsetting your creed. I wish I had known this earlier, but I didn't until I uncovered the last, hidden creed. If you find a sanctuary dedicated to a different creed than your own (likely either The Three of the Woodspirit(?)) you can take the oath at the shrine to offer other stone figures and use the shops. Then you can go back to your previous sanctuary and take their oath again to switch back. I only did this once but I don't see an issue with it. The gods get pissed when you attempt to desecrate it with a Stained Page, but not when you've decided to dip your toe in another belief system. I wish I had known this so I could have activated leaders to the different creeds and got access to different items.

That's weird, when I took another oath I lost access to my old items, had to get my sin pardoned, then when I switched back I had to redo the leader quests to get my old items back. On the other hand this does allow you to change what items you've picked from your original creed if you don't like them. I went from the Three to Fire and Sky then back to Three.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You can also parry with a pistol, Bloodborne-style.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The Crooked Warden posted:

I rolled a knight and promptly died to the sodden knight about a dozen times because I'm bad at games and should be sterilized. Any suggestions for training wheels? New weapon? Magic? The spear pokes nice but its moveset seems a little limited.

The spear is a weapon that gets a different combo if you hold up while attacking. It changes your second or third hit into a spinning attack that I think does more damage? I haven't played with it much. Most weapons also have a launcher if you press square triangle as well.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Feenix posted:

Only thing in this game I am not enjoying (other than a map-wish) is not getting an Amber Idol. Having to farm-run the Gaoler thing in Red Cage is the easiest but has still taken me over an hour.

[ed] So far... with no drop yet.

If you're able to get to Red Cages you can also get to the Dome and pick up the guaranteed one in there

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Been using the Queen of Smiles' sword to go with my magic character. What boss do I need to upgrade it further if at all? It's still Class 2.

The Bloodless Prince will let you turn it into a class 3 scissors with S magic scaling.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

ultrachrist posted:

Disemboweled husk was the first boss where I couldn't just get up in his face and body him with a 2h while chugging potions. Had to actually fat roll some pistol shots.

I have gear I want to equip but it's so goddamn heavy I can't wear it despite putting so many points into endurance. So Sodden Knight's armor + Headtaker greataxe continues to roll.

You can jump over his pistol and continue to bash his face in. It's his biggest opening for doing damage.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

EC posted:

It's kind of weird that my class 4 greatsword does more damage does more damage than the class 5 i can trasmute it to. Am I missing something?

Also I beat the game and can now say it is 100% rad. It's the only thing preventing me from importing Dark Souls 3 at the moment.

Some weapons have extra effects, like the Trinity Greatsword has life leech and swings extra fast. The Blade of Envy just seems bad though.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Maybe this is well known but I just realized you can use gray pearls to refund nodes you took as prerequisites without losing the later nodes.

Flint & Steel was a fun weapon to use but boy is it a buggy mess. I lost count of how many times I crashed the game changing rings.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Digirat posted:

Don't try to use a pistol with it either or you'll risk having the pistol get deleted from your inventory.

I only saw one flint & steel, sword whip, and greatscissors available the whole game. Is there really only 1 of each or did I miss the higher rank ones somehow?

I deleted two of them before I realized what happened, so I crashed the game with rings to get them back.

There's another greatsicssor that scales with magic but someone in this thread told me it's worse than the basic one.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

victrix posted:

The endgame areas take such a dive in fun, the game went from 'this is cool to explore' to poo poo tier falling to your death constantly because the levels are all oriented downwards and you can't see far enough below to plan a fall and/or one slip results in instadeath. Lame poo poo.

Game is really cool in places, but really rough in others, and the rough parts are dragging my opinion of the total package down pretty badly :|

e: since I'm probably done with the game, I should leave a positive note and say this game is a stunning achievement for a two person team, and they created a really cool world, so I do hope it does well for them

You know you can pan the camera with the right stick? There's some optional things that take some dodgy jumps but you shouldn't regularly be making blind jumps.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you get the Dart brand and enter Pitchwoods from the top you skip the Redshift brand and most of the Ruined Temple.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You need to either come back with the air dash brand or equip a knife and use its air combo to make the final walljump onto the roof.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Amppelix posted:

And finally, since the second set of equipment is literally free to carry, it feels silly to not put anything there, but from the way the level curve has panned out thus far, I feel I would be spreading myself way too thin if I went for a third specialization on top of daggers and prayers. Is this actually the case? I would love to put like a spear or bow there to complement my tiny reach with my dagger.

Daggers and whips off in damage quickly compared to the other weapon types as you progress. You probably want to switch into another type eventually.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Hager's Cavern isn't required. You only need either air dash or the red gate power to beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Speaking of jumping, you can jump over Husk's horizontal shot, turning it into a huge opening for damage.

• Locked thread