Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ Here's a reddit post compiling a lotta beginner tips https://www.reddit.com/r/saltandsanctuary/comments/4c6fcy/new_player_guidefaq/

I've got some questions. I like the tried and true souls strategy of use a fast weapon, buff it, and go to town, so I'm doing daggers with miracles (or whatever they're called. prayers?). I was spending quite a long time with my starting dagger, so I went on the wiki a bit to see that there's literally five daggers in the game, one for each rank. And it kinda looks like about half of them are bad. I do see that coincidentally the last dagger is a holy weapon so I guess I randomly picked the right combination, but am I going to get very familiar with my rank 2 dagger?

Next up, guns. I've been offhanding a pistol since I coincidentally picked up the skill for it, and it just seems really really bad. It does AoE damage and can be aimed, but the damage is like, not actually better at all than my melee weapons and the range is rear end. I can barely hit anything that I can't already reach otherwise, and the ammo is expensive as heck. Do guns suck? Or do I suck at using them?

And finally, since the second set of equipment is literally free to carry, it feels silly to not put anything there, but from the way the level curve has panned out thus far, I feel I would be spreading myself way too thin if I went for a third specialization on top of daggers and prayers. Is this actually the case? I would love to put like a spear or bow there to complement my tiny reach with my dagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I do hope I get a new weapon buff soon, the first one was kinda iffy when I got it and it's just been getting worse and worse. It lasts like twenty seconds and the damage is barely noticeable anymore.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How effective / necessary is armor? Asking because I found the set of sick-rear end blue monk robes that have poo poo for defense. It seems like I can still take at least two hits from almost anything while wearing them, and since I'm going for a lightweight build anyway it doesn't seem like I'm handicapping myself too much. Basically, is the defensive increase actually noticeable if I put on some good stuff, or is it more like the difference between almost dying in three hits and dying in three hits?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alright, that's as good a permission as any to ignore armor and play dressup instead.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, the Cave of Whatever (starts with an H. Haeger?) is by far the worst area I've encountered thus far. The enemies are annoying, the boss is hard, and the run is way too long. The skeletons were bad enough when you're just trying to kill them once, what with the seemingly entirely random teleporting whenever they feel like it, but then it turns out they have infinite aggro range and will literally teleport into the boss arena if you didn't kill them. And also a few of the floating enemies will follow you in as well because why not.

And then the game has the audacity to follow this mess up with the forest 2.0, this time with more poison. Ugh. At least I can better equip myself against poison.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fuzz posted:

If you level up a Covenant enough, you can buy them from the merchant.

Not every creed works though!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

This is kind of a bummer for great hammers since you only get 1 per playthrough, as far as I know.

Wiki tells me the class 2 greathammer is

quote:

Sold by Blacksmith of the Stone Roots Creed with 6 devotion.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I just got this game on Steam and I'm really enjoying it. I'm trying to focus on STR but I don't know if I should focus on greatswords or a good axe. So far I've got the Claymore (Kureimoa), woodsman's axe and varangian spatha (wich is more for dex users). Is it worth upgrading weapons early or is it better to hold on? I like the moveset of the Kureimoa and has a great S scaling on STR.

You will eventually get a whole shitton of the low level upgrade materials and you can buy them, so if you feel like you're going to use the weapon for a while upgrade away.

And from what I've seen (about 20 hours of gameplay) you don't really need to specialize in any weapon type, unless you specifically want to use a high rank weapon of some type (because you need to take all previous ranks to take rank 5). Feel free to take ranks one and two on any weapon type if you feel like wielding one, even if you won't, it's just stat boosts.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nice idea, but you can't actually attack the sanctuary (other people are just invincible) NPCs without taking some very specific steps to do so.

I kinda like and don't like that about S&S. I understand why you can't just go on a killing spree (they would have to come up with alternate means of progress once you kill important characters, for example) but in souls I always really liked being able to see how each character fought when threatened and what they dropped. It's a nice way to slip in some extra character into your characters.

On another matter entirely, I now have all the brands (according to the achievement I got), and I kinda want to do some backtracking, but gently caress me if I'm supposed to remember where every single jump that was too far or hard light platform was. Is there like an easy list of cool stuff to backtrack for?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I take back everything about the earlier forest and the mire, Pitchwoods is that except somehow even worse. Like, ok, Dark Souls has instant death drops all the time too, but it is not a platformer. S&S is very much a platformer on top of being an RPG, and I don't think death pits and megaman vanishing blocks have much compatibility with its combat system or how punishing failure is. The game would be much better off if I knew that nine times out of ten, falling off things wouldn't just kill me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Digirat posted:

If your complaint with the pitchwoods doesn't begin with "loving narwhal horses" you haven't seen the bad part

I saw two of those but they looked mean so I didn't go that way. And unless they're some supreme bullshit I would still much rather have hard enemies than punishing platforming.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thing I just realized: aren't bells of return completely useless, since save and quitting takes you to the last place you rested at for free?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, the tomb of the gods (which I'm assuming to be either the last or second to last area(name not guaranteed to be correct)) really isn't kidding around. These golems wandering the place are like way harder than the boss I fought to get here, considering I beat the boss in one try and have yet to progress much past that due to being constantly owned by golems.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey, I beat it! At something like 25 hours played. Pretty meaty game for such a small studio (and price!). I don't think the level design really noticeably deteriorated towards the end, although I would have liked it if the final areas had like any small enemies. The only things there were huge hard to kill dudes which gets exhausting. Also, I literally had to look up a guide on what to do at one point in the crypt because one jump was so hard that I actually though I wasn't supposed to be able to do it.

Another nitpick I have is that I think, game balance wise, the game's a bit too short. I had no chance to actually use the highest tier of weapon because the game was over before I was able to grind my way to both upgrading one and getting the skill to wield it. This might have something to do with me beelining for rank 5 prayers first, but it still kinda feels bad when the big weapon I was eyeing for the whole game never actually got to do anything.

But other than that, great game! I'll probably do both NG+ and a new character at some point.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I started as a Thief and I'm a few hours in, hearing Thiefs and daggers suck, can I just make him a sword wielder or should I restart. I struggle to deal damage at times.

Sure. Weapon ranks always give stats too, so it isn't ever really wasted. Swords are a bad choice for Thief start IMO, since the ranks give you STR and most of the swords scale equally or worse at DEX. I would recommend poleaxes/spears.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I feel your pain. I wish I could offer some tips but from what i remember, I beat my head against him until I finally "got" the attack patterns and then I won. Felt drat good too, but I don't think there really was a trick. Remember that you can block; trying to dodge the gun every single time was leading to my demise way too often. You should have at least one shield with OK fire defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Somehow this thread isn't archived yet, so look at this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/saltandsanctuary/comments/5iv926/pax_empyreans_weapon_overhaul_mod/

A cool weapon balance overhaul. The post is longer than a short length novel, but here's a summary

quote:

Holy poo poo that's a wall of text, explain this whole thing in one convoluted run-on sentence
I remade all the weapons from scratch so everything is about equally good, like straight Wisdom builds don't suck, mixed STR/DEX builds are a viable New Game+ thing, Endurance can boost your offense indirectly, Wands and Bows and Crossbows aren't poo poo anymore, weapon upgrades and stat scaling are predictable, there's a staff and a wand that cast magic but scale off of Wisdom (DARK SOULS TIN DARKMOON CATALYST UP IN THIS BITCH), New Game+ didn't add much but I fixed that, and the rest of this post is me hyping all the cool poo poo I did and telling you exactly how I did it.

This might just get me to do another playthrough, although I already did mine with DEX which is the main thing that's balanced here.

• Locked thread